• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Anthem overrated? Considering switching to Denon

amicusterrae

Not necessarily. I prefer ARC Genesis to Audyssey personally - ARC is a real room correction system that handles bass management internally and has simple but useful target curve adjustments - but with the iOS app you can get good results from Audyssey XT32 too. However, if you go immersive and like to up mix music unfortunately IMO Anthem is out of the running because they have thus far failed to license Auro3D/Auromatic.
I have been very happy with ARC through several generations. I, too, find it very easy to use. I tried Dirac Live and never could get the subs and mains to balance right. Drove me crazy. It felt like I was changing phone operating systems:) All that said, I only apply EQ up to the transition zone, so the arguable added sophistication Dirac arguably offers is of no interest to me.

I do upmix stereo recordings though and do not care for DTS:X or Dolby Surround for music. FWIW, my last gen Anthem receiver's Anthem Cinema and Music modes, which I like a lot, do utilize my ceiling height speakers. It's subtle and not comparable to the Atmos content I stream from Apple Music. I would love to hear Auro3d/Aromatic in my room, but am not willing to give up ARC for it right now.

Denon is a quality brand, and the stellar measurements in the numerous reviews posted here indicate the company is focused on science. Seems hard to go wrong with any Denon unit that has the features you need.

I don't think about longevity much with A/V receivers/processors anymore. Competent repair technicians are few and far between these days, and I question the durability of such complex devices. The shift to digital amplification and less heat should help longevity, but, it may be a moot point, as the pace of new features has been outpacing lifespan anyway. Then again how much longer can the manufacturers keep marketing upgrades?! I've had six receivers since 5.1 Dolby Digital and DTS was introduced, plus a couple of demos. Maybe I am part of the problem:)

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe I am part of the problem
Well you're not a problem for the AVR maker's profits :D

As for Denon (AVR-X3600H) versus Anthem (AVM 70 + ATI 525NC) we felt the sound was excellent, and now it's...excellent! The image of the sound has a different shape, if that makes any sense. Different, not $6k better. The ARC I do feel does a quite good job, better than Audyssey default (with the Audyssey App I call it a tie maybe with a bit of edge to ARC). The setup on the Anthem was more of a pain in the butt-I gotta make a Google Home account WHY?!? Oh, so Google can target me adds for cable risers I guess. Gee why can't I just find the network in the setup menu and input the password like a Denon. I *think* ARC can store multiple positions onboard unlike Audyssey.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
. Gee why can't I just find the network in the setup menu and input the password like a Denon. I *think* ARC can store multiple positions onboard unlike Audyssey.

FWIW the 4700 (and assume the others in the series and beyond) has two on board speaker presets for storing Audyssey setups.

jhaider

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I do upmix stereo recordings though and do not care for DTS:X or Dolby Surround for music. FWIW, my last gen Anthem receiver's Anthem Cinema and Music modes, which I like a lot, do utilize my ceiling height speakers.

What I don't like about Anthem's upmixers is, they basically pretend the center channel is not there.

amicusterrae

“What I don't like about Anthem's upmixers is, they basically pretend the center channel is not there.”

For sure that’s the case with Anthem “Music” mode, but on my MRX 730, Anthem “Cinema” mode uses the center. I presume Anthem did that as a marketing distinction for stereophiles.

amicusterrae

The setup on the Anthem was more of a pain in the butt-I gotta make a Google Home account WHY?!? Oh, so Google can target me adds for cable risers I guess. Gee why can't I just find the network in the setup menu and input the password like a Denon. I *think* ARC can store multiple positions onboard unlike Audyssey.
I don’t remember the Google requirement with ARC Genesis, though maybe that’s just an alternative to creating a separate Anthem account. That sucks if Google account linking is now required!

Yes, ARC allows saving multiple profiles. Whether more than one can be uploaded to the receiver though has depended on the model.

TinCanFury

Call me new-school, but I much prefer the PDFs. I keep the print manual, but it just sits in the box.

That said, I agree, the Anthem MRX remotes have much to be desired. My original 510 remote also got that sticky plastic syndrome issue, and it lived the last 5 years of its life in a plastic bag in a drawer, where it became sticky. I much prefer my universal remote.

amicusterrae

“What I don't like about Anthem's upmixers is, they basically pretend the center channel is not there.”

For sure that’s the case with Anthem “Music” mode, but on my MRX 730, Anthem “Cinema” mode uses the center. I presume Anthem did that as a marketing distinction for stereophiles.
I was just browsing the online manuals for the current Anthem models. Can anyone confirm that they no longer have the Anthem Cinema and Music upmixing modes?

peng

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was just browsing the online manuals for the current Anthem models. Can anyone confirm that they no longer have the Anthem Cinema and Music upmixing modes?

Where did you get that from? As far as I can tell, those modes are still there.

Top Bottom