• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is Akg k702 really a power hungry headphone ??

companyja

K702 pads are angled by 5 degrees.
K712 pads are not angled. This might change imaging.

I often see this on the internet and perhaps the K712 pad is not AS angled as the old K701/K702 pad, but there is one thicker and higher side to it just like the original K701. I have them live so I can confirm, you can also see the slope in this photo:

lrm_export_110094654727103_20190715_132206671.jpeg

You can see the thicker, higher side on the right. This would go behind your ear. There's been some reports with K712 headphones arriving with the pads misaligned (pointed up), which has perhaps contributed to people thinking they are completely flat.

samwell7

I often see this on the internet and perhaps the K712 pad is not AS angled as the old K701/K702 pad, but there is one thicker and higher side to it just like the original K701. I have them live so I can confirm, you can also see the slope in this photo:

lrm_export_110094654727103_20190715_132206671.jpeg

You can see the thicker, higher side on the right. This would go behind your ear. There's been some reports with K712 headphones arriving with the pads misaligned (pointed up), which has perhaps contributed to people thinking they are completely flat.

This is interesting, it was a while ago but I'm 99% sure the anniversary pads I had were flat.
I've seen people say there was a silent revision of the 65th anniversary and the second edition had the same pads as the K712, although that doesn't really make sense because the part numbers were the same.

If/when I get my original pads I'll report back on the flatness of them

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Have the memory foam pads here and they are flat.
Also have the K702 and those are angled like on the picture above.
Maybe there are angled and not angled versions around...

companyja

Perhaps the anniversary edition are flat and the 712 are angled again. I have an austrian-made K712 which is very old by now and it has angled pads.

samwell7

I just had a look back at the service manual for the K612/K712 and it (sort of) shows angled pads in the diagram, see attached image.
Maybe the pads did start flat and had a silent revision as I've seen people say, either that or the service diagram is just re-used from the K702
Screenshot_20210131-082806.png

companyja

I believe the visuals of that diagram are straight up lifted completely from the K701 diagram. But I have a very early run of K712 and they are angled. It's not an extreme angle but it contours nicely to the back of your head.

samwell7

I believe the visuals of that diagram are straight up lifted completely from the K701 diagram. But I have a very early run of K712 and they are angled. It's not an extreme angle but it contours nicely to the back of your head.
You beat me by a few seconds! Same image in the K702 manual (and probably the 701 for that matter).

Has the memory foam potentially worn down on a bit of an angle to suit your head?

companyja

I think it does flatten out a little bit over time but they were angled when I got them. I certainly didn't angle them by wearing them, I don't have that strong a head hahahah. The image above I posted also shows a presumably new pair, it's from an article comparing stock k712 pads and replacement third-party pads.

samwell7

I think it does flatten out a little bit over time but they were angled when I got them. I certainly didn't angle them by wearing them, I don't have that strong a head hahahah. The image above I posted also shows a presumably new pair, it's from an article comparing stock k712 pads and replacement third-party pads.
Could you please link the article? I've been trying to find the differences between original and third-party

solderdude

Grand Contributor
P1310546.JPG

L=K712 ... R=K702

The K712 was made in Slovakia, my K7XX was made in China. Pads are the same as K712 from Slovakia so perhaps the pads are made in China ?

Last edited:

samwell7

View attachment 109586

L=K712 ... R=K702

The K712 was made in Slovakia, my K7XX was made in China. Pads are the same as K712 from Slovakia so perhaps the pads are made in China ?
Thanks for that! So just to confirm, are the K712 and K7XX pads the same? I'm pretty sure I recall seeing them as the same on your website.
I just saw a few reviews today which said the K7XX pads were shallower and I couldn't find a K7XX service manual.

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The K712 (Slovakian) and K7XX (Chinese) pads looked, felt and measured the same.

Chances are Austrian made K712 have/had differently shaped pads ?
The price of the K712 dropped in half over the years. That price drop has to come from somewhere. Don't know if all of this is coming from low wages countries so maybe they skimped on the pads as well ?
Pad prices are relatively high... still not as bad as Focal ;)

samwell7

The K712 (Slovakian) and K7XX (Chinese) pads looked, felt and measured the same.

Chances are Austrian made K712 have/had differently shaped pads ?
Potentially!

@solderdude your website is great! Your articles on the K702, K7XX and K712 have helped clarify the differences between the models, I learnt more re-reading your articles in 5-10 minutes than I read in hours of searching subjective reviews.
I was going to purchase K712 pads for my K702 but it seems this setup probably won't be as nice as a K712.

I like my K702 just sometimes the sibilance can get to me, would you have any recommendations other than the K712 for a similar priced (say 300AUD) headphone that's similar to the K702 just a bit less 'hot' in the treble?
Preferably no EQ or modding.
I tried the HD600 years ago and sold it as I preferred the K702, I think the soundstage was a bit too 'three-blobby' I'm thinking of trying the X2HR

Last edited:

solderdude

Grand Contributor
The problem with recommending headphones, at least to me, is that what sounds good to me may not be so for others.
A similar thing with comfort.

The differences between the K712 and K702 with K712 pads are small but present.
Personally I liked the K712 (in my case the Slovakian one) a bit better than K7XX.
K702 is not up my alley though but that doesn't mean others can't/won't like it. On the contrary... there are many folks loving it.

The only way to know if you like a headphone is to own one for at least a few weeks. With or without EQ.
A short audition (especially in a store) can set you on the wrong foot. Even when you are experienced.
Something that sounds full and detailed at first glance may become boomy/one-note or sibilant after a while.
Not immediately impressive headphones may sound boring on audition but may sound great once you accustomed to the sound.

So these are the reasons you don't see me rating stuff or telling this or that one is crap or the bomb.
Most headphones have some good and less properties at different loudness levels.
It's just a matter of finding the one that has the most good qualities to the owner.
I can tell you what I like or what is generally liked (and do so) but that may not be what others prefer.

samwell7

The problem with recommending headphones, at least to me, is that what sounds good to me may not be so for others.
A similar thing with comfort.

The differences between the K712 and K702 with K712 pads are small but present.
Personally I liked the K712 (in my case the Slovakian one) a bit better than K7XX.
K702 is not up my alley though but that doesn't mean others can't/won't like it. On the contrary... there are many folks loving it.

The only way to know if you like a headphone is to own one for at least a few weeks. With or without EQ.
A short audition (especially in a store) can set you on the wrong foot. Even when you are experienced.
Something that sounds full and detailed at first glance may become boomy/one-note or sibilant after a while.
Not immediately impressive headphones may sound boring on audition but may sound great once you accustomed to the sound.

So these are the reasons you don't see me rating stuff or telling this or that one is crap or the bomb.
Most headphones have some good and less properties at different loudness levels.
It's just a matter of finding the one that has the most good qualities to the owner.
I can tell you what I like or what is generally liked (and do so) but that may not be what others prefer.

That's a great response, thanks for explaining the why rather than just shooting off some recommendations.
My hearing has likely changed a bit since I tried the HD600 as I never really had problems with sibilance with my old K702 (7+ years ago).
I just want something that's comfortable and sounds relatively neutral/accurate without being overly analytical. I've ordered a set of PortaPros to see if I appreciate a more warm/laidback sounding headphone

companyja

The K712 on the photo I posted is also Slovakian since it doesn't have "Made in Austria" printed on the cup. They may have silently revised the pads to K7XX pads over the years. I know the K712 pads are still 100eur for a pair on Thomann, but I can't see whether they are angled or not from the perspective on their site.

Top Bottom