• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Is adding an amp worth it

bodon

Gday all
First post..
So many tech details in these threads that Im confused. I have a NAD 777v3. Connected are centre, fronts and surrounds. Fronts and surrounds are basically the same "size"
and same manufacturer. I like listening in stereo when I play music and use the fronts and surrounds together.
If I added a 2 channel amp and connected my fronts to an amp will they be 'louder' than the surrounds (connected to the NAD777
) in stereo or does the NAD777 compensate some how or do I forget about the surrounds and just use the fronts or do I need a amp with more channels?
I was looking at adding a NAD C298 as I assume it should be compatible. I also like the purifi which I have seen on the VTV website and unsure if 'they' would be compatible. If VTV is compatible would I be better off getting a 4 channel purifi.
Another confusing point for me is that the NAD 777 is only RCA. I assume that the NAD C298 would have to work in RCA? Ie NAD to NAD. But its 2 channels.
VTV amps are XLR. I know I can I use XLR to RCA to the NAD777. I mention this as there is lots of threads about voltage to and from regarding RCA. Clipping and 2volts? I thought clipping is when I let the grandkids turn the dial on my avr to 0 and let 1812 overeture cannons blow my speakers tweeters up.
Just wondering will I hear any difference in gain with either a NAD 298 or Purifi type amps.
Im a tad deaf and my lounge room is quite large, hence maybe an amp..but Im confused as and if it is even worth it. Closest HiFi shop is a four hour drive away for me..
Regards

Attachments

• 777.jpg
    777.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 74
  • Speaker Aurora 3 & Apollo.jpg
    Speaker Aurora 3 & Apollo.jpg
    187.8 KB · Views: 78

oursmagenta

Forum Donor
Hello,

Your speakers are rated at 120W for the power handling and 4ohms for the impedance, your AVR dac has SINAD of 84db or so an amp SINAD of 74db and max out at around 138W into 4ohms.

My guess is that a nc122mp based class D may do the trick.

What is sure is that the c298 and any Purifi based amp would produce too much power at a too low THD compared to your AVR (for the THD) and your speaker (for the power handling).

Last edited:
Top Bottom