• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

High pass filter / Bass blocker help

Diegs

Hi - need help or some ideas. I would like to restrict low bass frequencies (below 50/60hz) from my speakers. I have SMSL DO100 DAC connected (via XLR) to a VTV Purfi 2 channel amp connected to my speakers (monolith T6 towers). I addition, I have a 10” JBL sealed sub connected to the DAC via RCA.

I looked at speaker level bass blockers, RCA bass blocker and a couple XLR “mic” bass blockers. Would need to keep the XLR connection between DAC and amp. Appreciate any help or ideas, thanks!

staticV3

Master Contributor
One option would be to replace the DO100 with a miniDSP 2x4 HD or miniDSP Flex.

Those then process the audio and split it into bass for your sub and mids+highs for your towers.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Which JBL sub? Seem to remember a few have an available high pass....otherwise adding external dsp like miniDSP as mentioned.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I use simple capacitors wired to speaker cables inline with my mediocre cobbled house system. These HP the main speakers to the subs at around 100Hz. You'd have to do some math but it works and you can tune the frequency pretty well. The RCA and XLR store-bought variants are just a cap in a wrapper thus the need to know your speakers ohms and bass roll off when purchasing.

Cheap solution until something better comes along/can be afforded.

OP
D

Diegs

One option would be to replace the DO100 with a miniDSP 2x4 HD or miniDSP Flex.

Those then process the audio and split it into bass for your sub and mids+highs for your towers.
Checked out the minidsp options, new rabbit hole engaged. That seems like the perfect solution.

OP
D

Diegs

Which JBL sub? Seem to remember a few have an available high pass....otherwise adding external dsp like miniDSP as mentioned.
Its a SUB 550PBK. I don’t recall it having a high pass. Also have an older SVS I will check for high pass. Viable option with xlr to rca converters

staticV3

Master Contributor
Checked out the minidsp options, new rabbit hole engaged. That seems like the perfect solution.
With miniDSP, you can either do the setup manually using REW and a UMIK-1, or pay extra for a Dirac license which will apply appropriate EQ automatically.

In both cases, a UMIK-1 is highly recommended.

OP
D

Diegs

I use simple capacitors wired to speaker cables inline with my mediocre cobbled house system. These HP the main speakers to the subs at around 100Hz. You'd have to do some math but it works and you can tune the frequency pretty well. The RCA and XLR store-bought variants are just a cap in a wrapper thus the need to know your speakers ohms and bass roll off when purchasing.

Cheap solution until something better comes along/can be afforded.
I was thinking this would be an “easy” solution, but the more I dig the more complexities I uncover with finding a known solution. But i like the diy aspect of this and have been tempted to build something passive like you did.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Its a SUB 550PBK. I don’t recall it having a high pass. Also have an older SVS I will check for high pass. Viable option with xlr to rca converters
No, not that I see with that model, just the typical low pass filter labeled as "crossover".

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OP
D

Diegs

Been thinking on this for a while and since my SMSL DO100 has started doing strange things, I decided to go for a minidsp. The flex was my first choice, but ended up ordering a shd for streaming

Head_Unit

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@speaker level bass blockers = [vomit emoji]. When I had to redesign such a product I found they don't work well due to the impedance peak(s) in the bass range.
@RCA bass blocker: if you mean the Harrison Labs, they work but I measured a "100 Hz" one as -3 dB at 155 Hz. They appear to stack capacitor 1st order filters inside, which a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley like that is -6 dB at 100 Hz and -3 dB up around...155! There is some imprecision due to the RC networks inside and dependence on source and input impedances. Yes if you could measure the input impedance in particular you could DIY your own. IIRC you need some kind of parallel resistor to avoid turnon pops or something like that...signal hazy...
@ An active filter might be better, IF not noisy or ground loops.

OP
D

Diegs

@speaker level bass blockers = [vomit emoji]. When I had to redesign such a product I found they don't work well due to the impedance peak(s) in the bass range.
@RCA bass blocker: if you mean the Harrison Labs, they work but I measured a "100 Hz" one as -3 dB at 155 Hz. They appear to stack capacitor 1st order filters inside, which a 2nd order Linkwitz-Riley like that is -6 dB at 100 Hz and -3 dB up around...155! There is some imprecision due to the RC networks inside and dependence on source and input impedances. Yes if you could measure the input impedance in particular you could DIY your own. IIRC you need some kind of parallel resistor to avoid turnon pops or something like that...signal hazy...
@ An active filter might be better, IF not noisy or ground loops.
Thanks for the detail! The Harrison lab type product at 40-60hz via xlr would have been my ideal product before I became more informed. I now understand that passive has its challenges, is more complex the deeper you go because its variable on the factors you stated. Fingers crossed the minidsp shd sounds great and does what I want for my 2.1 setup. It arrives tomorrow

OP
D

Diegs

The Minidsp SHD lives up to what you read about it. Its a bit of a learning curve to get setup, but sounds great. The crossover options for high pass and low pass are really solid.

Attachments

• IMG_8872.jpeg
    IMG_8872.jpeg
    162.9 KB · Views: 26
Top Bottom