• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IOTAVX SA3 Integrated Amplifier

astr0b0y

I'm making an assumption that the subwoofer output on the SA3 is not frequency adjustable, but you'd have to perform that activity on the subwoofer plate amplifier itself, just like the Cambridge Audio CXA60, 80, 61 and 81. Though, in my case, I intent to use the SA3 just as a pre-amplifier to connect to my power amplifier with the MiniDSP integrated in-between, like I'm using it now in my current setup. After all the years of banging my head with subwoofer integration, the MiniDSP 2x4 HD has been the most valuable product that I've integrated into my system.
Good idea. If it’s not adjustable it’s an almost useless feature.

Reactions: wje
OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Good idea. If it’s not adjustable it’s an almost useless feature.

Exactly. In the past, I'd look at such devices to see if they'd have a subwoofer output and be disappointed when they didn't feature one. I currently have 2 subwoofers and mainly stick with music 95% of the time. I opted for the MiniDSP last fall when I had the McIntosh MA-5200 and using splitters off the pre-outs to connect the 2 subwoofers and route the signal back into the input jack to use the internal amp, which just didn't cut it. With the MiniDSP 2x4 HD, I have the option for my output voltages to be adjusted, if necessary. Plus, the signal being sent to each sub is in stereo vs. a mono or "summed" signal. Win-Win!

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
OK, some good news. Since IOTAVX had just sent me the shipping information but not actually shipped the SA3 yet, I reached out to my contact and reminded him of the shipment conversation so the SA3 would go to Amir first for the review and testing. It looks like things are back on for Amir to receive the SA3 so the test and review can occur. :cool::cool:

zaneisland

Hi, new to this forum. Today order the IOTAVX SA3+BT dongle to pair with my buchardt S300. So true youtube review slave. Let's see if it arrives next week. These are my only parts as I just started upgrading my setup from LG 5.1 market setup. Also interested in miniDSP SHD studio or SHD if internal DAC in SA3 is unacceptable. And maybe some day PA3 if I feel I need it.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Being how IOTAVX has a home theater processor, separate 7-channel amplifier and a separate amplifier to pair with the SA3 for more power - provided you utilize the internal amplifier for one of the channels on the SA3, if the test results are positive on the SA3 when Amir receives it; it would be great if IOTAVX would offer just a pre-amplifer version of the SA3, similar to what Emotiva has done with their BasX line.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
The IOTAVX SA3 just cleared through customs in Cincinnati this evening. Cleared to move onto Amir. Delivery should be made no later than the end of this coming Tuesday. :cool:

SunnyRehde

Forum Donor
Any news on this? I'm thinking about adding this amp or the power amplifier PA3 to drive the signal from a D50s.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I stumbled onto this discussion since I'm at a decision point between the Iota or a 1979 totally recapped amp pre amp set. For me, this may be my last upgrade since I'm nearing retirement so I want to get it right. It's really tough these days since you can't stroll into a store to listen.

This Iota gets such glowing detailed, yet subjective and unscientific, reviews so I am really appreciating that this objective review is pending!

Thanks to all and Amir!

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Any news on this? I'm thinking about adding this amp or the power amplifier PA3 to drive the signal from a D50s.

Yes, the package went through customs on Thursday in Ohio - then, stopped moving. I submitted an inquiry with DHL yesterday, and ironically, the package is moving again. Delivery was initially scheduled to reach Amir - yesterday (Tuesday). I'm sure it should get to him in the next day or so as I see it arrived in Seattle a bit earlier this morning. Soon. Soon!

DHL.jpg

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I remember in the past, with older audio gear, manufacturers would indicate a value or measurement for stereo separation. Granted, with much of our newer music, songs are not mixed like the old music once was. The stereo effects in newer music are not nearly as noticeable as older music was. However, I've been switching around gear for the past several months, and originally had the Emotiva PT-100 about 3 years back, but sold it, due to a desire to have some different gear in my setup. I came across a used PT-100 preamplifer from Emotiva and put it into service last week. Wow. I mean this is all subjective, but the little beast only cost me about $259 (shipped) to get it used. To my ears, it's quite an impressive preamplifier when paired up with my Crown XLS1502 amplifier (or even the Behringer A500 amplifier, for that matter). I could hear better stereo separation in the music - opposed to using the Pioneer Elite SC.81 or even the B&K Reference 30 preamplifier. All were paired with the Khardas Tone Board DAC. The built in AD 1955 DAC in the PT-100 didn't impress me as much - then again, it's now 3+ year old technology. After hearing the PT-100, the desire for the IOTAVX SA3 diminished a bit for me. I'm also in the process of purchasing the Emotiva XPS-1, Generation 2 preamplifier, based on my experience with the PT-100. Ah... this disease is getting the best of me. Fortunately, I'm not rich enough to get a SimAudio preamplifier, so playing around with less-costly preamplifiers/amplifiers for gear keeps it easy on my wallet.

zaneisland

IOTAVX SA3 arrived today!
Initial impressions are that build quality is great, better than I expected from pictures. Everything worked well and sound is good.
Need to test more in the coming days but happy with my purchase so far. Was thinking if I need PA3 but no way I'm listening that loud paired with Buchardt S300 that I would need more power. Need to evaluate whether adding PA3 has enough benefits as I think I have enough headroom still. Most likely will invest in something else than PA3.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
IOTAVX SA3 arrived today!
Initial impressions are that build quality is great, better than I expected from pictures. Everything worked well and sound is good.
Need to test more in the coming days but happy with my purchase so far. Was thinking if I need PA3 but no way I'm listening that loud paired with Buchardt S300 that I would need more power. Need to evaluate whether adding PA3 has enough benefits as I think I have enough headroom still. Most likely will invest in something else than PA3.

Thanks for the impressions. There are plenty of amps out there to choose from. The only concern I'd have about using the PA3, is that you have to use the internal amp of the SA3 for one of the channels, and the PA3 for the other. I'm not sure what effect would be created for that 2nd channel through the use of an interconnect being added in the signal path. Maybe, not detectable by our human ears, but could likely show up in the measurements.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Congrats! You must be as excited as I would be! I'm delaying any purchases till I can open my business again... Delay allows me to keep researching. Looking forward to Amir's findings!

Let us know how you like it!

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
Congrats! You must be as excited as I would be! I'm delaying any purchases till I can open my business again... Delay allows me to keep researching. Looking forward to Amir's findings!

Let us know how you like it!

Yes, I'm excited. But, Amir will review it, post the review results here on the site and once he's done, it will be forwarded to me.

Rifmon

Forum Donor
I’m guessing it’ll take a week approx? I know his reviews are detailed with extensive descriptions.

OP
wje

wje

Forum Donor
I’m guessing it’ll take a week approx? I know his reviews are detailed with extensive descriptions.

Yes, I'm not sure of the review schedule. I do know from Amir's comments, he does have some gear backed up for review and testing. Then again, with the quality of reviews and test results that we receive, the wait isn't so bad. Plenty of others out there, quickly put up an "impressions" video on YouTube that can toy with our emotions. Believe me, I like such impression reviews, but seeing the cold, hard numbers is also quite important too!

Rifmon

Forum Donor
Well the Iota certainly got some great impression reviews. And I enjoyed them. Watched them over and over and over again. It’ll be interesting to see if the objective scientific review aligns with them.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
I'm delaying any purchases till I can open my business again...

Just jumping in to say I hope you are back up and running soon... Fellow business owner here muddling through like everybody else.

Top Bottom