• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Interconnects from balanced socket to amplifier module: Shielded separates vs braided w/o sheilding?

EB1000

Hi

I've build mane 125ASX2 based DIY, using Ghent's pre-made interconnects (BTL mode, feed from a balanced output).

Ghent cables are shielded using two sperate shielded cables for the positive and negative signals of the balanced connection. Ghent told me this is the best approach.

However, I had a discussion with Guntars Smits, which is another DIY class D supplier and builder, and he's using non-shielded single braided cable, in which the positive, negative, and the two ground are all twisted together.

He claims that this approach is much better for balanced cables, as you don't need shielding due to high noise immunity of balanced, and by eliminating the shielding, you reduce capacitance and thus increase bandwidth.

So which of is correct? Ghent or Guntars?

I've tried both, and could not tell the difference in sound using my own ears. I wonder what measurements will reveal

This is the video Guntars posted. You can see that all 4 wires (two grounds, pos and neg) are bundled and twisted together, while, Ghent solution is using two shielded cables

https://www.ghentaudio.com/cable/125asx2pro.html

What do you think?

Thanks

Top Bottom