• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integrated hypex amp with crossover

meracus

Hi guys
Any excellent amp with a built in xover
I wanna power a pair of ls50 meta and cutting them at 80hz and using a sub below
Can’t find anything short of an avr
By excellent I mean SOTA
Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
NAD has three Integrated Amps with Sub out and Hypex amplification: C399, C700, M10 V2
They all have a configurable LPF for their Sub out, however, it is unclear whether they also apply an HPF to their Main out. The Manuals do not specify this.

If you are using a KEF sub like the KC62, then you could use its built-in LPF&HPF to cross over your sub and LS50.
There are other subs with built-in LPF and HPFed Line out as well.

gsp1971

Forum Donor
The Cambridge Audio EVO 150 will also do nicely. Similar price as then NAD C399.

radix

Major Contributor
The Anthem STR line has ARC Genesis and a built in cross over and delay compensation with 2x sub out. It comes as an integrated, and a separate pre + amp. I have the STR preamp and like it quite a bit. I believe the amps are class AB, but I use Benchmark.

EDIT: You do not need to use ARC Genesis to use the crossover and delay compensation, they can be set on their own.

I think DIRAC (e.g. NAD) is likely better than ARC Genesis, based on my limited experience, but I was able to get good results with the STR. I would have considered the NAD C658, but it does not have an MC phono input that I wanted.

EDIT AGAIN: I guess I failed to read the subject line that wanted hypex :(

Last edited:

MAB

Major Contributor
MiniDSP SHD Power if you only need digital inputs (AES/EBU, SPDIF, and TOSLINK) and network streamer.
If you need analog, would need an external ADC.
The DAC and DSP are SOTA (my opinion since that isn't a well defined term, I'm sure everybody has their own definition!) The DSP in these game changing and is comparable to very few products available. The ones that do are either not consumer, or very expensive.
The amp is really good, perhaps not SOTA.
Comes with a DIRAC license.

The only drawback I see is the 1.7V output. This may be an issue, you should make sure the amp you have has enough gain to be driven to full volume at 1.7V.
index.php

MiniDSP has excellent application notes too:

OP
M

meracus

Not sure how that works
I have a Hattor integrated
from it’s speakers out into the 62 … the the 62 speaker cables into the ls50 ?
Cannot see any speakers out from the 62 … I’m I missing something here

staticV3

Master Contributor
Not sure how that works
I have a Hattor integrated
from it’s speakers out into the 62 … the the 62 speaker cables into the ls50 ?
Cannot see any speakers out from the 62 … I’m I missing something here
Screenshot 2023-11-23 205602.jpg
From the User Manual :)

OP
M

meracus

Yeah no … my Hattor is balanced only … you lose 6db … unless missing something .. designer says shame to do so

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Reactions: MAB

staticV3

Master Contributor
Yeah no … my Hattor is balanced only … you lose 6db … unless missing something .. designer says shame to do so
there are other subwoofers with balanced I/O and built-in crossover with HPFed Line out.

OP
M

meracus

Yes … seen some svs etc yes that would be the ticket ..
Any sound degradation you reckon ?
Only thinking to it this way cos the 50 seems to be excellent … but from 60hz on up … looks like it doesn’t like bass … and I like bass too

Top Bottom