• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

DAC died. Replace it with a new DAC or a miniDSP?

japesinjapan

Greetings fellow nerds.

My DAC is currently dying a horrible death. I need a new one.

Current chains:
1. PC into ifi ZenDAC V1 into Marantz 40n into LS50 meta.
2. TV via HDMI into Marants 40n into LS50 meta

Easy solution is to get a new Dac/Amp, maybe topping, and I can handle that. But what I'm really thinking is minDSP flex, and that opens lots of questions. Besides the room correction with Dirac Live, I'd like to be able to set crossovers (AVR style) so that the ls50 don't have to work so hard and I can send 80hz and below to a subwoofer (yet to be purchased). You know, the whole high-pass filter thing.

I've read here that the flex only performs well at max volume though, so I'm confused on how to integrate it with the subwoofer. Even if I used it on max, added a preamp, that would only affect mains, right? Also, I've lost my headphone amp too.

This obviously isn't desirable, so let me lay out my goals and let me know if you can see any pattern that works.

Needed: New DAC/Amp.

Wanted: Room correction, HPF for bass management.

Anyway to achieve all of this? Please note that I have 2 sources, the TV (HDMI or Optical) and the PC (usb/hdmi/optical), this is my bedroom/office setup.

Thanks!

nerdemoji

best value dac/amp i can think of rn for your purposes is SMSL dl200. Minidsp Flex also seems good in addition, and it should have transparent performance well below maximum volume. there are other options that might be cheaper that serve the same purpose from minidsp as well.

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

best value dac/amp i can think of rn for your purposes is SMSL dl200. Minidsp Flex also seems good in addition, and it should have transparent performance well below maximum volume. there are other options that might be cheaper that serve the same purpose from minidsp as well.
Thanks. I'm not so worried about the price, I'm more of a "buy it/do it the right way, one time only" kinda guy. Also try to avoid chinese products where possible, but sometimes it is unavoidable.

levimax

Major Contributor
Thanks. I'm not so worried about the price, I'm more of a "buy it/do it the right way, one time only" kinda guy. Also try to avoid chinese products where possible, but sometimes it is unavoidable.
You might want to look at the RME DAC's then.

RosalieTheDog

If you want to add a high pass and use the minidsp for crossover, you need to control the volume there. You can use the marantz as a power amp only using the power amp in.

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

Maranz accepts analog and digital input in various connectors. Why would you need a new DAC?

Not sure about the dac quality in there, and I would still need one for my headphones anyways so it doesn't really solve my issue. I do use it for the tv though, but I wouldn't be able to set hpf or Dirac that way either

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

If you want to add a high pass and use the minidsp for crossover, you need to control the volume there. You can use the marantz as a power amp only using the power amp in.
Ya, I was thinking that. But apparently it's sinad goes to shit if it isn't running at 100...

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

How about this:

Dirac on PC.
USB out to dac amp. Optical from tv to dac amp.
Dac to kc62 for the high pass.
Kc62 to the 40n for mains.

MAB

Major Contributor
Needed: New DAC/Amp.

Wanted: Room correction, HPF for bass management.
I think you partially answered your question. Room correction and filtering for sub integration is a game-changer.

At the risk of self-promotion, I built a pair of JBL M2 with MiniDSP Flex Balanced:
And a pair of Small desktop speakers plus subwoofers in a fully active system with a Flex Eight:
I also use a Mini DSP SHD that I use with a pair of active monitors plus subwoofers.
All of these allow room correction (DIRAC if you purchase the license).
MiniDSP have really nice application notes:

On top of the DSP, the Flex is a pretty useful source-selection/preamp including analog.

I have a Topping D90. It has no audible performance advantage, limited connectivity, and no DSP. I got DAC from RME with DSP and no longer use the Topping.

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

I think you partially answered your question. Room correction and filtering for sub integration is a game-changer.

At the risk of self-promotion, I built a pair of JBL M2 with MiniDSP Flex Balanced:
And a pair of Small desktop speakers plus subwoofers in a fully active system with a Flex Eight:
I also use a Mini DSP SHD that I use with a pair of active monitors plus subwoofers.
All of these allow room correction (DIRAC if you purchase the license).
MiniDSP have really nice application notes:

On top of the DSP, the Flex is a pretty useful source-selection/preamp including analog.

I have a Topping D90. It has no audible performance advantage, limited connectivity, and no DSP. I got DAC from RME with DSP and no longer use the Topping.
With a signal coming from the mini dsp going to the amp and another to the subwoofers, where are you controlling the volume?

MAB

Major Contributor
With a signal coming from the mini dsp going to the amp and another to the subwoofers, where are you controlling the volume?
I use the MiniDSP and RME DACs as a preamp to control volume.
All have competently designed firmware that restores the unit to reasonable state upon reset. This is important. All have been flawless but I realize with digital volume controls there's always a finite possibility an unexpected power reset inadvertently cause the unit to go to full volume and destroy things. I have the gain structure set on the M2's and my desktop speakers so that I don't blow my ears out, so no way to blow the speakers. The active monitors have advanced protection so no way to realistically blow them.
I have older DSP gear that is not useful as a preamp because of odd reset behavior, unreliable volume control behavior, etc. even if they were useful crossovers.

If you are worried about some sort of sound quality degradation, then you may need to look at gain.

JeremyFife

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Love my miniDSP Flex... does exactly what you are looking for - apart from HDMI.
Not sure what your best option for adding HDMI is: converter? AVR processor (don't know enough about these but it should add DSP)
If you don't need to EQ your TV signal (or feed it to a sub) then the Flex is a good choice

RosalieTheDog

Love my miniDSP Flex... does exactly what you are looking for - apart from HDMI.
Not sure what your best option for adding HDMI is: converter? AVR processor (don't know enough about these but it should add DSP)
If you don't need to EQ your TV signal (or feed it to a sub) then the Flex is a good choice
Just use the optical out from the tv, I can't see what's the problem with that for a 2.1 system.

OP
japesinjapan

japesinjapan

Just use the optical out from the tv, I can't see what's the problem with that for a 2.1 system.
They are coming out with an HDMI version soon btw

Top Bottom