• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Any suggestions? Affordable Integrated Amplifier with Highpass ability for Sat`s

DrSpan

Hello everyone.
So i am looking for an integrated Amp that has some form of DSP so i can use it to drive my Bookshelf Speakers.

I would like to be able to set a HP filter for the sats in order to combine them with a Sub and i don`t want to send the signal though the Sub.
It would be nice if it had at least 80-100 watts at 8ohm (real watts not imaginary manufacturer rumors :)
It also would be cool if the HP frequency is adjustable and not fixed

I know that the Smsl A300 can do something like that but have mixed feelings about it when reading opinions.

The other two i have found are Nubert AmpX and Elac element ea101eq-g.
These come the closest to what i imagine but one cant have too many choices thats
why i am trying to find what comparable things are out there

Can you suggest any relatively affordable Integrated amp that meets this criteria? Affordable as in up to 1000-ish Euros

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Hi @DrSpan! Welcome to ASR.

Two potential solutions are:

-WiiM Amp:
Can cross over sub and mains with high-passed mains and low-passed sub.
In addition, has HDMI ARC input, streaming services and DLNA, 4-band Parametric EQ, remote control, App control etc.

-Crown XLS 1002:
Barebones Stereo PA Amplifier with DSP capabilities for high-passing your mains.

OP
D

DrSpan

Hi @DrSpan! Welcome to ASR.

Two potential solutions are:

-WiiM Amp:
Can cross over sub and mains with high-passed mains and low-passed sub.
In addition, has HDMI ARC input, streaming services and DLNA, 4-band Parametric EQ, remote control, App control etc.

-Crown XLS 1002:
Barebones Stereo PA Amplifier with DSP capabilities for high-passing your mains.
Hey there.

Thanks for the suggestions.

The WiiM looks the most interesting. However never heard of the brand. Is it any good?

To the crown, i would prefer no PA amp. First i am not sure what fidelity to expect from a pa amp that has power as its main priority
and also Pa amps often have Fan`s inside. I need an amp that makes no noise

staticV3

Master Contributor
The WiiM looks the most interesting. However never heard of the brand. Is it any good?
ASR member @onlyoneme regularly posts measurements of his WiiM Amp on the WiiM Forum:
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-amp-tests.1873/
https://forum.wiimhome.com/threads/my-wiim-amp-tests-chapter-2.2442/

His first unit from Oct 2023 (PCB_ver 2) had some issues, but WiiM seems to have fixed those and his second unit from Jan 2024 (PCB_ver 5) now shows competent performance.

The brand seems committed to its products regarding long-term software support and feature updates.

It's a bit concerning that the first batch of their products tends to have some hardware-related performance issues (measurement stuff), but they quickly revise them and IIRC, offer replacements for customers if they want.

Last edited:

JustJones

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not sure what your definition of relatively affordable is but here's one of the usual suspects.

OP
D

DrSpan

Not sure what your definition of relatively affordable is but here's one of the usual suspects.

Sorry you are right i did not mention this. Edited the original Question. Well around max 1000 euros i would say

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Not an ideal solution, but you can add a 6dB/oct HP to any amp by adding a series capacitor of the correct value.

OP
D

DrSpan

Not an ideal solution, but you can add a 6dB/oct HP to any amp by adding a series capacitor of the correct value.
Hi there.
Thanks . I have had this suggestion in the past but
1) i am not fit with Diy electronics and lack equipment and knowledge in order to find out what the result of my doing is
2) i would prefer something more flexible and „all in one“

Hayabusa

Addicted to Fun and Learning
OP
D

DrSpan

not difficult.
calculate here: https://www.digikey.com/en/resource...sion-calculator-low-pass-and-high-pass-filter
for instance 8 ohm and 120 Hz: you need to put 168uF bipolar capacitor in series
Hi and thanks.
I am not risking touching electrical things as i am not experienced.
What i have experienced though is that once i bought ready made In-line Rca adapters with an integrated HP filter and had mixed experiences In one setup they worked well and in the other they cause hiss and noise while when i removed them the problems were gone.
Also i lack the measuring equipment to measure what even happened after the procedure. So i would simply much prefer a „ready made“ solution
as similar thngs to the Amp Models i mentioned in my original question

But thanks for chipping in !

richardm

OP: RogerSound labs has one. I think there's a mini review somewhere on this site.

OP
D

DrSpan

OP: RogerSound labs has one. I think there's a mini review somewhere on this site.
Thanks.
Took a swift look but my first impression is that it looks a bit on the weak side and also does look a bit cheap-ish if i am honest

Top Bottom