• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Integra DRX-8.4

I am preparing to buy this AVR and looking at the menu, I am delighted that Onkyo/Integra still has the option to delay trigger jacks. Why Denon and Marantz don't have that option is beyond me.

It's a pretty "grunty" AVR, you may not need external amps...
I don't need it in my room at all, but I run a custom integration company and it's nice to be able to display this type of connection from an AVR to a separate amp. I'll probably throw a 3 channel Hypex or Purifi amp in there to power the L/C/R just for fun (and to demo for clients).

There are in fact amps for both Zone 2 and 3, though you obviously can't use the full 11-amps for the main zone in this case. However, if you are running a 5.1.2, you can certainly have both zone 2 & 3 amped. Zone 2 and 3 both feature dedicated subwoofer line-outs as well.
The plan is to upgrade to 5.1.4, I guess I can still run 2.0 in zone 2?

I'm finally due to get my 8.4 today and I'm pumped... can anyone tell me if I can use a umik 1 connected to laptop to configure Dirac?

I'm finally due to get my 8.4 today and I'm pumped... can anyone tell me if I can use a umik 1 connected to laptop to configure Dirac?
Yes you can!

Wonderful! Could you point me to a guide that talks me how to do this? Integra's docs say to use supplied mic connected to front panel and an email to Integra has gone unanswered

What about the inputs, can I use the USB port on the back from my Roon NUC endpoint running Rock?
Is there any feedback regarding the internal DAC?
Perhaps I could even skip the NUC and go ethernet directly, I see it's supposed to be Roon Ready.

I see the USB only works for storage, I guess I can't connect it to a streamer. Perhaps HDMI might work..

Wonderful! Could you point me to a guide that talks me how to do this? Integra's docs say to use supplied mic connected to front panel and an email to Integra has gone unanswered
Essentially, you just need to download and install the Dirac Live software on a laptop from https://www.dirac.com/live/downloads/ and then attach the UMIK-1 to your laptop via USB and run the software to calibrate.

What about the inputs, can I use the USB port on the back from my Roon NUC endpoint running Rock?
Is there any feedback regarding the internal DAC?
Perhaps I could even skip the NUC and go ethernet directly, I see it's supposed to be Roon Ready.

I see the USB only works for storage, I guess I can't connect it to a streamer. Perhaps HDMI might work..
Roon Ready support is supposed to be coming, but it is not here yet. Thus far, I have been using Chromecast through Roon, which streams 2-channel FLAC at up to 24-bit/96 kHz.

I also run Tidal on an NVIDIA Shield Pro, connected via HDMI, that streams Dolby Atmos music.

Roon Ready support is supposed to be coming, but it is not here yet. Thus far, I have been using Chromecast through Roon, which streams 2-channel FLAC at up to 24-bit/96 kHz.

I also run Tidal on an NVIDIA Shield Pro, connected via HDMI, that streams Dolby Atmos music.
Have you compared to any external DAC?

Have you compared to any external DAC?
No and I wouldn't expect any audible difference from one. The ES9026PRO DACs in the 8.4 are already specced to 110 dB SINAD. The ES9028Q2M in the Bluesound NODE X is only 10 dB better at 120 dB. Amir measured the Denon X3800H at 87 dB, and it sounds fine. I have equipment measuring in the low 70s and it sounds fine.

Can I expect my laptop/Dirac to "see" my new Integra?
Yes, as long as you have the DRX-8.4 connected via ethernet or WiFi, Dirac will find it on your network and present it to you. You can also check the IP address of the Integra from the front panel (just toggle via the Info button). You can also access the web interface of the Integra by browsing to that IP address and logging in with a username of ciuser and password of ciuser. You can configure the AVR there much faster than going through the on-screen menus.

Yes, as long as you have the DRX-8.4 connected via ethernet or WiFi, Dirac will find it on your network and present it to you. You can also check the IP address of the Integra from the front panel (just toggle via the Info button). You can also access the web interface of the Integra by browsing to that IP address and logging in with a username of ciuser and password of ciuser. You can configure the AVR there much faster than going through the on-screen menus.
Great, that's what I was hoping the behavior would be. Thank you all for helping me ;-)

How does it sound in 2ch music? Would I still need keep my Yamaha A-S2100 if I get this you think?

That's exactly why I bought this model. I planned to use the balanced inputs and outputs for a DAC and amp which I've done but the Integra sounds good on its own too. The only issue is it sounds best in direct mode which appears to bypass the subs. Their older models also did this and the workaround was to connect the subs to the l/r outputs and and use the sub crossovers and volume. It sounds very articulate this way and while not quite to the level of when I put my Cranesong DAC and Pass Labs amp in the chain, it's a very entertaining way to listen to music. The stock dacs and amps create the illusion of sitting in front of a wall of speakers placed L to R and at different depths. Almost as if each instrument is coming out of a different speaker and each reverb or other effect is coming out of a different speaker. Switching to stereo mode removes some of this illusion but in direct mode the Integra is a very good 2 channel player.

Back
Top Bottom