• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ImPORTance of ports

MuseIcal

Apologies for the attempted pun.

Hope this is the right place to post this.

Having 12-18 inches to place a speaker from the front wall, I have been looking for front ported or sealed box designs in speaker.

This got me thinking....

How important is port placement? Not only for speaker placement but for the almighty low end that some crave.

My tiny brain thinks that a smaller port would lead to a tighter bass sound. Right or wrong, just a feeling I have.

Some manufacturers are now putting ports in the bottom for better, more, placement options.

Any thoughts? Should 'port location' even be considered?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
a smaller diameter port may lead to more 'noise' from displaced air.
How 'tight' bass sounds depends more on the tuning of port/cabinet/speaker and placement than on port size.
For an almighty low-end you need big woofers/cabinets unless active trickery and large swing smaller diameter woofers are used.
Without compensation (EQ) speakers are still bound to laws of physics.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
In terms of how the port interacts with the room, there is no appreciable difference where its located on the speaker enclosure.

I explained this in a bit more detail with reference to a specific Adam speaker recently.

The only thing you want to be sure to do is to leave a clearance behind the port roughly equivalent to the port's diameter. But few ports are wider than 3" or 4". At clearances greater than the port diameter, you won't have any issue.

Re: your question about small vs large ports, your intuition is unfortunately incorrect ;) Smaller ports produce greater air velocity per SPL, which leads to compression/distortion at lower SPLs than larger ports. In general, the larger the port, the more effectively it will function and the louder it will play without compression.

The reason smaller speakers tend to have smaller (often too small, frankly) ports is that, as you increase a port's surface area, you also have to increase its length to achieve the same tuning frequency. So smaller speakers are limited by their small enclosure volume to having smaller ports. Other than fitting in the enclosure, however, there is generally no benefit to having a smaller port.

Wes

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
what if the port is on the rear and the speaker is shoved into a corner?

OP
M

MuseIcal

Re: your question about small vs large ports, your intuition is unfortunately incorrect ;)

I knew it! :)
Something felt wrong about my thought but I couldn't put my finger on it.

Smaller ports produce greater air velocity per SPL, which leads to compression/distortion at lower SPLs than larger ports. In general, the larger the port, the more effectively it will function and the louder it will play without compression.

Ah, okay. Thank you for the explanation.

I could have been more clear in my OP.

I was trying to ask if port size, shape and location make any real difference in the low end or tone of what’s coming out of the box.
Some manufacturers use slits, or put ports under the speaker. And others have no ports at all.
Was just curious and wanted to hear thoughts on the placement and shape of ports.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I was trying to ask if port size, shape and location make any real difference in the low end or tone of what’s coming out of the box.
Some manufacturers use slits, or put ports under the speaker. And others have no ports at all.
Was just curious and wanted to hear thoughts on the placement and shape of ports.

Ok, got it. Yeh, as mentioned the most important factor is sheer surface area (bigger = cleaner, less compressed at higher SPLs), but various other factors are also important. A book could probably be written on this (although definitely not by me), but I can try to outline some of the basic considerations here.

The essential function of a port is to create a Holmholtz resonator, the tuning frequency of which is determined by the relationship between the port's length and surface area and the volume of the enclosure in which it is located.

For a given tuning frequency, a port may be any particular size, as long as the correct length/surface area relationship for the given enclosure volume is maintained. In other words, a small, short port may give the same tuning frequency in a given enclosure volume as a larger, longer port. As I mentioned earlier, the larger the port, the less likely it is to develop turbulence and therefore the better it is likely to perform in terms of distortion and compression.

However, ports also come with a host of issues. Apart from the intended system resonance at the tuning frequency, ports also develop pipe resonances as standing waves form across the length of the port. If excited, these pipe resonances manifest as sharp, high-pressure peaks at frequencies of wavelength twice the port's length, the port's length, half the port's length, etc. For example, for a port of length 17cm, the first pipe resonance will occur at around 1000Hz, the second at 2000Hz, the third at 3000Hz, etc.

This tends to be a problem in two-way ported systems in particular, where the woofer is crossed over high in frequency and is therefore producing a lot of output at frequencies at which these pipe resonances are likely to be excited. In subwoofers or 3-way systems, the (sub)woofer is crossed over lower in frequency and therefore is unlikely to be producing output at frequencies that will excite the port's pipe resonances (unless the port is very long indeed). Alternatively, damping the enclosure to absorb the woofer's backwave at higher frequencies is another way to reduce this issue. However, too much damping will begin to affect the functioning of the port (reducing its output at the tuning frequency), while in smaller enclosures it may not be possible to fit enough damping in to effectively absorb the woofer's backwave at the frequencies of concern.

Additionally, sound from the rear of the woofer(s) may "spill" out of the port. This tends to occur most at frequencies at which standing waves inside the enclosure form, and particularly if the port entrance is located at the antinode (i.e. peak) of such a standing wave inside the enclosure. So this is the first reason that the location of the port may be important. In particular, the port's entrance should not be located where an internal standing wave antinode occurs, and especially not where it coincides with a pipe resonance in the port. Absorption of these standing waves is another reason to damp the enclosure.

The second consideration regarding port location is distance of the port entrance from enclosure walls. If a port entrance is too close to an enclosure wall (or other internal obstruction), the small volume of air between the port entrance and the wall may act as part of the internal volume of the port, thereby lowering the port's tuning frequency. However, the port entrance needs to be quite close to an internal wall for this effect to occur, so it's not normally a real-world issue, except with slot ports (in which case it should be factored into the design in the first place).

A third consideration arises in enclosures that have a high aspect ratio, i.e. particularly tower speakers, and particularly where there are two or more woofers, each with a significantly different distance to the port(s). In such enclosures, the air "spring" provided by the internal volume of the enclosure will not be (as close to) uniform, and each port/woofer will tend to interact differently as a result. Therefore, it's usually best to build a separate internal enclosure with a separate port for each woofer, thereby ensuring more uniform operation of each woofer/port system.

Regarding port shape: In general, the shape of a port will affect the extent to which the air inside the port tends to remain laminar (i.e. not turbulent) as the particle velocity of the air passing through the port increases (i.e. as SPL increases). Turbulence inside the port is the enemy of effective port function and the primary cause of distortion/compression, so it's important to design the port so that the air inside it is as laminar as possible. As mentioned, size is by far the most important factor here. However, shape is also somewhat important. The ideal cross-sectional shape for a port is circular, as this is conducive to the most uniform flow of air through the port. The terminations of the port at the entrance and exit are also important: abrupt terminations are worse; flared terminations are better. Varying the internal surface area by tapering the port in the middle can also help reduce turbulence at high lower velocities (although this is of no particular benefit at low higher velocities).

No doubt I haven't covered a million other aspects of ported system design, but those are the main consideration IMO :)

EDIT: corrected my brain fart regarding tapering and velocity.

Last edited:

tvrgeek

Major Contributor
"Without compensation (EQ) speakers are still bound to laws of physics."

Even with the fanciest compensation, they are still bound by the laws of physics. Except of course in advertising copy or magazine reviews.

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
what if the port is on the rear and the speaker is shoved into a corner?

I’d still guess a port diameter between the port and the wall would be enough clearance to avoid significant tuning differences, since it’s a pretty generous rule of thumb in the first place, but I guess you might want to measure to be sure..

valerianf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Best feature for a BR port is a large front one or the use of a tower speaker base (hidden port firing downward ).
Second solution is looking nicer but may interact with the floor material (carpet, wood...).

q3cpma

Major Contributor
Best feature for a BR port is a large front one or the use of a tower speaker base (hidden port firing downward ).
Second solution is looking nicer but may interact with the floor material (carpet, wood...).
Not really. Front makes any leakage a lot more noticeable since it's direct sound and the back has a lot more room to place it optimally.

valerianf

Explanation is very simple: no professional BR speaker unit for movie theater/ concert hall has back firing port :eek:
Here after is a picture of a Klipsch powered THX theater in Tennessee.

hege

Forum Donor
Front ports on too small speakers are terrible. In the past I had KH120's in nearfield.. nice "hair dryer" blast even at moderate volumes. No problem with my 1237's. ;)

valerianf

The port (2 of them) size of the KH120 seems disproportionate with the small speaker size and placed very close to the driver (no long air travel).

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Front ports on too small speakers are terrible. In the past I had KH120's in nearfield.. nice "hair dryer" blast even at moderate volumes. No problem with my 1237's. ;)

This is so very true! It annoyed the hell out of me listening at such close distance until I added a sub... If you sit further away, you also tend to increase the volume more so you might just still feel the air 'breeze'.

ThatSoundsGood

Forum Donor
Ok, got it. Yeh, as mentioned the most important factor is sheer surface area (bigger = cleaner, less compressed at higher SPLs), but various other factors are also important. A book could probably be written on this (although definitely not by me), but I can try to outline some of the basic considerations here.

The essential function of a port is to create a Holmholtz resonator, the tuning frequency of which is determined by the relationship between the port's length and surface area and the volume of the enclosure in which it is located.

For a given tuning frequency, a port may be any particular size, as long as the correct length/surface area relationship for the given enclosure volume is maintained. In other words, a small, short port may give the same tuning frequency in a given enclosure volume as a larger, longer port. As I mentioned earlier, the larger the port, the less likely it is to develop turbulence and therefore the better it is likely to perform in terms of distortion and compression.

However, ports also come with a host of issues. Apart from the intended system resonance at the tuning frequency, ports also develop pipe resonances as standing waves form across the length of the port. If excited, these pipe resonances manifest as sharp, high-pressure peaks at frequencies of wavelength twice the port's length, the port's length, half the port's length, etc. For example, for a port of length 17cm, the first pipe resonance will occur at around 1000Hz, the second at 2000Hz, the third at 3000Hz, etc.

This tends to be a problem in two-way ported systems in particular, where the woofer is crossed over high in frequency and is therefore producing a lot of output at frequencies at which these pipe resonances are likely to be excited. In subwoofers or 3-way systems, the (sub)woofer is crossed over lower in frequency and therefore is unlikely to be producing output at frequencies that will excite the port's pipe resonances (unless the port is very long indeed). Alternatively, damping the enclosure to absorb the woofer's backwave at higher frequencies is another way to reduce this issue. However, too much damping will begin to affect the functioning of the port (reducing its output at the tuning frequency), while in smaller enclosures it may not be possible to fit enough damping in to effectively absorb the woofer's backwave at the frequencies of concern.

Additionally, sound from the rear of the woofer(s) may "spill" out of the port. This tends to occur most at frequencies at which standing waves inside the enclosure form, and particularly if the port entrance is located at the antinode (i.e. peak) of such a standing wave inside the enclosure. So this is the first reason that the location of the port may be important. In particular, the port's entrance should not be located where an internal standing wave antinode occurs, and especially not where it coincides with a pipe resonance in the port. Absorption of these standing waves is another reason to damp the enclosure.

The second consideration regarding port location is distance of the port entrance from enclosure walls. If a port entrance is too close to an enclosure wall (or other internal obstruction), the small volume of air between the port entrance and the wall may act as part of the internal volume of the port, thereby lowering the port's tuning frequency. However, the port entrance needs to be quite close to an internal wall for this effect to occur, so it's not normally a real-world issue, except with slot ports (in which case it should be factored into the design in the first place).

A third consideration arises in enclosures that have a high aspect ratio, i.e. particularly tower speakers, and particularly where there are two or more woofers, each with a significantly different distance to the port(s). In such enclosures, the air "spring" provided by the internal volume of the enclosure will not be (as close to) uniform, and each port/woofer will tend to interact differently as a result. Therefore, it's usually best to build a separate internal enclosure with a separate port for each woofer, thereby ensuring more uniform operation of each woofer/port system.

Regarding port shape: In general, the shape of a port will affect the extent to which the air inside the port tends to remain laminar (i.e. not turbulent) as the particle velocity of the air passing through the port increases (i.e. as SPL increases). Turbulence inside the port is the enemy of effective port function and the primary cause of distortion/compression, so it's important to design the port so that the air inside it is as laminar as possible. As mentioned, size is by far the most important factor here. However, shape is also somewhat important. The ideal cross-sectional shape for a port is circular, as this is conducive to the most uniform flow of air through the port. The terminations of the port at the entrance and exit are also important: abrupt terminations are worse; flared terminations are better. Varying the internal surface area by tapering the port in the middle can also help reduce turbulence at high lower velocities (although this is of no particular benefit at low higher velocities).

No doubt I haven't covered a million other aspects of ported system design, but those are the main consideration IMO :)

EDIT: corrected my brain fart regarding tapering and velocity.
This is so incredibly useful. Thank you. You should write a book.

Top Bottom