• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

The woofer crawl is stupid

OP
T

tee

I appreciate all the responses. I didn't get much sleep, so this may not be the best time for me to post, but I will anyways.

The main thing that I am thinking is different is the fact that it is on the couch. How can the couch not effect the way the waves propagate? To say that the couch doesn't absorb anything does not make any sense to me. It's a big, thick piece of stuff.

I'll have another look over all the answers tomorrow since I am tired at the moment.

If anyone has suggestions on books or other resources that cover more of the physics involved I would appreciate it. I should probably just take a physics course anyways heh

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I appreciate all the responses. I didn't get much sleep, so this may not be the best time for me to post, but I will anyways.

The main thing that I am thinking is different is the fact that it is on the couch. How can the couch not effect the way the waves propagate? To say that the couch doesn't absorb anything does not make any sense to me. It's a big, thick piece of stuff.

I'll have another look over all the answers tomorrow since I am tired at the moment.

If anyone has suggestions on books or other resources that cover more of the physics involved I would appreciate it. I should probably just take a physics course anyways heh
Here is a screen snip of a paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (this paper is open access, link is at the end of this post):

Acousitc reciprocity.png

Reciprocity is a fundamental property of elastic wave propagation. It enables us to exchange sound source and sound receiver to simplify measurements in a lot of cases, and sub crawl is one of them.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I think we can all agree a pub crawl is better.

D

Deleted member 21219

People can easily underestimate the difference between sound wave characteristics at 20Hz, 200Hz, 2,00Hz and 20,000Hz.

Your couch (and room furnishings) will absorb higher frequency soundwaves the way a shore line absorbs the sea's waves. Small waves are absorbed. Somewhat larger waves are both absorbed and deflected (reflected), and secondary wave travel might be obvious.

But there's no way that shore line has any effect on a tsunami. The tsunami doesn't need to be a high wave, it just needs to be a certain length. The buildup over time overcomes the shore, and the water continues on its way relatively unaffected.

A 20Hz wave in air is over 55 feet long! The couch, although absorptive, is puny compared to the length, propagation and duration of the wave.

So your couch may have an effect on 2kHz and 20kHz waves, but not on 20Hz waves.
If that couch covered your complete wall, then that might be another story.

Jim

dasdoing

Major Contributor
Here is a screen snip of a paper in the Journal of the Acoustical Society of America (this paper is open access, link is at the end of this post):

View attachment 295650

Reciprocity is a fundamental property of elastic wave propagation. It enables us to exchange sound source and sound receiver to simplify measurements in a lot of cases, and sub crawl is one of them.

I am actually starting to like this, because what I forgot in my previous post is that while in the 2d plane subwoofer placement might be limited to few locations, the inverting actually anables us to find a better height (if there is) in the 3d plane, and off the floor more possible locations might apear to be practicle. obviously not using our ears, but a mic and RTA.
talking about height, the subwoofer at listening position needs to be at ear height, too. so putting it on the couch will distort the result

Last edited:

IPunchCholla

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
People can easily underestimate the difference between sound wave characteristics at 20Hz, 200Hz, 2,00Hz and 20,000Hz.

Your couch (and room furnishings) will absorb higher frequency soundwaves the way a shore line absorbs the sea's waves. Small waves are absorbed. Somewhat larger waves are both absorbed and deflected (reflected), and secondary wave travel might be obvious.

But there's no way that shore line has any effect on a tsunami. The tsunami doesn't need to be a high wave, it just needs to be a certain length. The buildup over time overcomes the shore, and the water continues on its way relatively unaffected.

A 20Hz wave in air is over 55 feet long! The couch, although absorptive, is puny compared to the length, propagation and duration of the wave.

So your couch may have an effect on 2kHz and 20kHz waves, but not on 20Hz waves.
If that couch covered your complete wall, then that might be another story.

Jim
Unrelated, but your comment prompted me to look up how Tsunamis function, which then led me to the largest wave recorded: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1958_Lituya_Bay_earthquake_and_megatsunami

Holmz

Major Contributor
It is not a sin to like scotch

Lol

Maybe one or two.

Holmz

Major Contributor
I am actually starting to like this, because what I forgot in my previous post is that while in the 2d plane subwoofer placement might be limited to few locations, the inverting actually anables us to find a better height (if there is) in the 3d plane, and off the floor more possible locations might apear to be practicle. obviously not using our ears, but a mic and RTA.
talking about height, the subwoofer at listening position needs to be at ear height, too. so putting it on the couch will distort the result
3D?
you are sort of dissin the flat earthers now….
That is just not right:)

Holmz

Major Contributor
Yeah, it’s called the sub craw to make it easy for most to figure out. A rough order of magnitude guide. If you want optimal results you need REW and a Calibrated Mic. Your just making me explain what we both already know because you wanted to catch me out. Or try. Grind your axe somewhere else.

Easy… I‘m not try to grind an axe, however you and I knowing it, does not help the fellow or lady that asked the question.
I was just trying to help here.

We are all generally busy and sometime the responses are not as smoothly expressed as our understanding. Usually that is me doing it.
We are usually in general alignment, just time zones differ and it get worse if I post before covvee, and in the evening there is a different excuse for me… and a crawl. :facepalm:

AdamG

Helping stretch the audiophile budget…
Forum Donor
Easy… I‘m not try to grind an axe, however you and I knowing it, does not help the fellow or lady that asked the question.
I was just trying to help here.

We are all generally busy and sometime the responses are not as smoothly expressed as our understanding. Usually that is me doing it.
We are usually in general alignment, just time zones differ and it get worse if I post before covvee, and in the evening there is a different excuse for me… and a crawl. :facepalm:
Fair enough. I agree with the difficulty of smooth expression of thoughts. All good Mate. ;)

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Still need the crawl. Just move chair and place sub. Don't overthink. Often, best location isn't feasible. Like the doorway or middle of the room.

Top Bottom