• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Impedance matcher

boxerfan88

Gosh…

Design_By_Mr._K_Rotor_Balanced_Fire_Bull_review_matej_isak_mono_and_stereo_2023_high_end_audiophile_luxury_audio_music_-9-768x576.jpg

D

Deleted member 48726

Even after reading the marketing BS I still don't understand what it is, how it's used, what it's doing or how it's doing it.

I suppose it's adding resistance so the amplifier sees a higher impedance than the speakers?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
it’s an autotransformer that can double the output current, producing outstanding results.
There are some astounding statements about transistor amplifiers expecting to see 8 Ohm and modern speakers being 4 Ohm so this helps...

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Even after reading the marketing BS I still don't understand what it is, how it's used, what it's doing or how it's doing it.

I suppose it's adding resistance so the amplifier sees a higher impedance than the speakers?
I have a feeling the "designer" doesn't understand any of that, either. So buy now!

egellings

Major Contributor

Maybe a little autoformer? (Autoformer is a transformer with a single tapped winding).

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe a little autoformer? (Autoformer is a transformer with a single tapped winding).
Well...maybe. I'm not sure what the point is, either. And I got all confused looking at all that measured data :facepalm:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why he thinks that any old transistor amp won't drive 16 ohms is beyond me. Most will very happily.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What is it about this business that brings out yet another expensive solution to a non-existant problem. All that fancy metalwork for a device that is unnecessary for any SS amplifier and many valve amplifiers. The only possible use for such a device is a valve amplifier without the correct tap for 'speakers which otherwise would be unsuitable.

S

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Why he thinks that any old transistor amp won't drive 16 ohms is beyond me. Most will very happily.
Heck, most'll be significantly* happier driving 16 ohms than they are with 4 ohms. ;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
What is it about this business that brings out yet another expensive solution to a non-existant problem. All that fancy metalwork for a device that is unnecessary for any SS amplifier and many valve amplifiers. The only possible use for such a device is a valve amplifier without the correct tap for 'speakers which otherwise would be unsuitable.

S
Even then, most likely the 16 ohm speaker will work just fine on the 8 ohm tap.

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Indeed, although flea-powered SET amps without feedback beloved of the lunatic fringe might struggle to provide enough volts on the wrong tap into 16 ohm 'speakers or enough amps into 4 ohm 'speakers, so this will be a useful way of spending lots more money rather than buying something that works properly in the first place.

S

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Sometimes it might even sound better - depending upon the amplifier and (even more so) upon the actual impedance curve of the loudspeaker.

Just don't tell anyone on ASR I said this, OK? ;)

Wait? What?!

:eek::facepalm:;)

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sometimes it might even sound better - depending upon the amplifier and (even more so) upon the actual impedance curve of the loudspeaker.

Just don't tell anyone on ASR I said this, OK? ;)

Wait? What?!

:eek::facepalm:;)
Amir did some testing that way. The cat is clear out of the bag!

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
This is an autoformer, similar to what can often be seen on some McIntosh amps:
1690349491581.jpeg

The purpose it to provide to same amount of power to any impedance. It works and can be pretty convenient in some cases. The question is only how good the transformer is..?

Top Bottom