• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Can I connect a speaker to a pre-amp?

Zeppelin

Hi, I am wondering if this could be possible, and to work properly, considering the speakers being 10W 6ohm. So not a lot of power needed. The pre-amp board is a ZK-PT1 ( https://www.newegg.ca/p/3D0-0039-00EZ8 ), and can't find any watts nor impedance delivery specs.

Could it work?

Thanks

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't think anything will break if you do this. Where I'm hazy on the suitability of this idea is output / input impedance.

Depending on how much gain this preamp board has (or lacks) I think you could end up delivering a watt or so to the speakers. This could be plenty loud depending on the speaker. However, this will probably be at the upper range of what the preamp board can do, and so you will likely get a ton of distortion.

More EE-inclined members can probably explain better why this might (or more likely, might not) work well.

There are some ultra-cheap power amps out there, is there some reason other than budget you need to use the preamp to power a speaker?

NTK

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Could it work?
Highly unlikely it will work well. Looks like 5532 opamps are used for output drivers.
ZK-PT1-Bluetooth.png

If that's the case, they (at least for the TI version) need a minimum load of 600 ohms, and its output current limit (peak, not RMS) can be as low as 10 mA.
5532.png

Chazz6

1. Have you figured out how you will give this thing the power it needs, DC 5~24V / 1A?

2. Bad review on seller.

DonH56

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Forum Donor
Hi, I am wondering if this could be possible, and to work properly, considering the speakers being 10W 6ohm. So not a lot of power needed. The pre-amp board is a ZK-PT1 ( https://www.newegg.ca/p/3D0-0039-00EZ8 ), and can't find any watts nor impedance delivery specs.

Could it work?

Thanks
Simple, practical answer is "no". Not designed to drive low-impedance loads like speakers, and not enough output power to drive a speaker to reasonable volume. You need a little power amp to go along with it. Preamp means before the amplifier.

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
You might get some sound out, but it's a bad Idea as everyone else has said. Loudspeakers are low resistance (actually low impedance) motors that draw a substantial current when a signal voltage is applied. Preamplifiers are not normally designed to deliver lots of current since they expect to see a high resistance load. Many won't work properly with loads below 1k.

The result will probably be distorted and you may overload and overheat the preamplifier output stage

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Ok, after reading all your answers, I can say I mess it up again

The reason I bougth this instead of an amp is because of my ignorance. So it seems now I can connect this with an amp or directly to buy an amp board. I could use this pre-amp board with an amp board coming from an old speakers I have, but it comes to my mind the problem of having two PU connected to the speakers. Maybe I could find split the current with more boards insede, idk what is better.

1. Have you figured out how you will give this thing the power it needs, DC 5~24V / 1A?
Yes, I have a PU for this.

Maybe it is easier and better to have just one amp board, and anything else. Does anyone of you know about an amp board which also has Bluetooth and tone knobs??

Which option do you suggest me?

Last edited:

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, after reading all your answers, I can say I mess up again

The reason I bougth this instead of an amp is because of my ignorance. So it seems now I can connect this with an amp or directly to buy an amp board. I could use this pre-amp board with an amp board coming from an old speakers I have, but it comes to my mind the problem of having two PU connected to the speakers. Maybe I could find split the current with more boards insede, idk what is better.

Maybe it is easier and better to have just one amp board, and anything else. Does anyone of you know about an amp board which also has Bluetooth and tone knobs??

Something along similar lines to your preamp would be:

Not sure I'd reccomend it. If I was getting an amp the simplest/cheapest I'd be looking at would be something like the Fosi BT20. But that is around 6 times the price.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Ok, after reading all your answers, I can say I mess up again

You could get active/powered speakers, then you could use the pre-amp just fine with those.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Not sure I'd reccomend it. If I was getting an amp the simplest/cheapest I'd be looking at would be something like the Fosi BT20. But that is around 6 times the price.
Fosi BT20 it is not an option, not only because of the price, but also because I want a DIY project, and that it is not.

I found 3 differents boards in Aliexpress like the one on the OP, but being amp and not pre-amp. Every other detail is the same. Just have to explore internet to see reviews of them and see if they worth it.

Before buying a new board I want to think about that of adding an amp board of an old computer speaker. My main concern is about the electrical wiring. It must be done with just one PU, so maybe the PU I have it is not enough. The PU I already have is a 12V 1'5a, so I am not sure if it would work.

If you were me, what option would you choose?

Last edited:

DVDdoug

Major Contributor
but also because I want a DIY project, and that it is not.
It seems like you don't have much electronics experience...

The PU I already have is a 12V 1'5a, so I am not sure if it would work.
The amplifier you buy should come with the specs, and you should be able to see the specs before you buy.

You should be able to power the power amp and preamp from the same supply.

With a 12V supply, you should be able to get about 3 Watts into 6-Ohms with a standard "single-ended" amplifier or 12W with a bridge amplifier.

I found 3 differents boards in Aliexpress
Personally, I wouldn't buy from AliExpress, or eBay, etc. You may not get good documentation. ...You may not get a good product!

Parts Express has all kinds of amplifiers & amplifier boards. If you wanted to build an active speaker, they have everything to do it. (Or you can buy a "big" amplifier for a DJ setup.)

OP
Z

Zeppelin

It seems like you don't have much electronics experience...
I have some electrical knowledge, but not so much, and from years ago. I hope people in this forum can help me a little with this.
You should be able to power the power amp and preamp from the same supply.
Sure I can, the thing is to have the correct supply.
With a 12V supply, you should be able to get about 3 Watts into 6-Ohms with a standard "single-ended" amplifier or 12W with a bridge amplifier.
3W it is not enough, and to lose the stereo with the bridge amplifier it is not an option
Personally, I wouldn't buy from AliExpress, or eBay, etc. You may not get good documentation. ...You may not get a good product!

Parts Express has all kinds of amplifiers & amplifier boards. If you wanted to build an active speaker, they have everything to do it. (Or you can buy a "big" amplifier for a DJ setup.)
My only options are in AliExpress, as this is not a high quality speakers, and just want to make it active with bluetooth for someone who does know nothing about audio quality, so it will be fine. Besides, I took a look at your website, and didn't find anything that suits, at least below the 60€. Didn't look at higher prices.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Probably will go with the new amp board buying. There are three option for an amp board with bluetooth and volume and tone controls found in Aliexpress:

---This with TPA3116D2:
ZK-1002T AUX+Bluetooth 5.0 Amplifier Board HIFI 2.0 Channel 100W+100W Audio Module Adjustment Stereo Subwoofer Speaker Module

Runs with 12-24V/5A

---Also with TPA3116D2 there is:
XY-T50L 2x50W Bluetooth 5.0 Subwoofer HIFI 2.0 Speaker Digital Audio Power Amplifier Board TPA3116D2 Stereo XY-T50L Home Theater Audio

This run with 5-24V/5A.

---And also this one, which doesn't specifies any chipset:
ZK-502MT Channel Bluetooth 5.0 CS8673E 2.0 Subwoofer Amplifier Board 50W+50W Power Audio Stereo Amplifier Board Bass AMP AUX

And this runs with 12-24V/"above" 3A

Those are the options. I don't know if there are any differences between one and the other, but before buying anything I prefer to ask to you.

Also I see my PU can't work here. I have to find something with more Amps, it seems.

Last edited:

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I think any of those will work OK, may not sound perfect but should function.

The important thing here is to make sure you get a proper power supply. The amps won't work right with too low of current, as you note.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Ok, I will decide about them. I think the most easy thing to do is to throw away that pre-amp and just buy one of those amps.

One electrical question:
More or less voltage would make the setup to sound more or less louder (if I understand it well), but has the amperage to be the exact asked for the specs?

I think if it is less than asked it will not work properly, and if it is too much it can burn up.

Can someone answer this, please?

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor
Ok, I will decide about them. I think the most easy thing to do is to throw away that pre-amp and just buy one of those amps.

One electrical question:
More or less voltage would make the setup to sound more or less louder (if I understand it well), but has the amperage to be the exact asked for the specs?

I think if it is less than asked it will not work properly, and if it is too much it can burn up.

Can someone answer this, please?
Ohms law and its derivatives apply.

P=V^2/R or I^2*R. So if you know the power you are after and the driver resistance you can work out the voltage required and the current that will draw.

OP
Z

Zeppelin

Ohms law and its derivatives apply.

P=V^2/R or I^2*R. So if you know the power you are after and the driver resistance you can work out the voltage required and the current that will draw.
I know ohms law, but still need an answer to my question:
has the amperage to be the exact asked for the specs?

A clear answer would be thankful

MaxwellsEq

Major Contributor

DIY. We can check your working out.

antcollinet

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

No the current rating does not need to be exact.

If it is high, then you will have spare current not used (the amp will only take what is needed)

If it is lower then you will not be able to get full power (especially with lower impedance speakers like 4 ohm)

If you want to maximise the power, you need to have a voltage close to the maximum allowed by the amp.

Top Bottom