• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Immersive high-end IEM

EddyMiller

I tried listening to my friend's Hidizs MD4 headphones.
The Hidizs MD4 has very good resolution, 4 tuning switches and a well balanced and detailed signature.
But the amount of bass is not much, and it is generally mid-to-high. The voice is dark, the tooth sound has a strong sense of presence, and the mids sounds a bit unnatural. So I am not very satisfied, because it is not cost-effective.

2.png

Later, through various considerations, I chose KZ D-Fi.
It surprised me a lot. The metal casing gives me a tough feeling.
The cavity line is smooth, and the metal conduit can be seen extending below.
There are 4 tuning switches on both sides of it, for a total of 8 tuning switches. You’ll notice an on & off markings labeled above each switch pad as well as 1-2-3-4 labeled at each localized frequency changing switch.
It presents a pop-style sound that is highly full and solid without losing balance. The bass has a relatively brilliant performance, with sufficient volume but not muddy. The dive is deep, dynamic and vivid. KZ D-Fi has a full mid-range sound with high density and a relatively neutral instrument performance. In addition, the treble is crisp, the transient is very good, and the consistency in the mid-bass part can be very high. The D-Fi really surprised my ears.

lQDPJxQXCmYrbtbNDYPNDZCwa4hUPbN2j4YEnEMUBYC5AA_3472_3459.jpg_720x720q90g.jpg

Both Hidizs MD4 and KZ D-Fi are IEMs with tuning switches. Hidizs MD4 is much more expensive than D-Fi. I think D-FI is good for sound quality and cost performance. It can be said that it is a benefit for music enthusiasts.
I look forward to discussing and sharing better IEMs or music with you. Thanks.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Dip switches used to be the norm for "configuring" your motherboard in the good ol' days. Not just motherboards actually, but all types expansion cards too. Thankfully, the industry moved on to software and we got rid of these clunky switches. Not audio though. Although almost everyone is listening to these IEMs from a digital source, people still prefer using predefined tuning through hardware switches over infinetely tunable software EQ? Interesting - another "only in audio" moment I say.

Last edited:

digitalfrost

Major Contributor
Dip switches used to be the norm for "configuring" your motherboard in the good ol' days. Not just motherboards actually, but all types expansion cards too. Thankfully, the industry moved on to software and we got rid of these clunky switches. Not audio though. Although almost everyone is listening to these IEMs from a digital source, people still prefer using predefined tuning through hardware switches over infinetely tunable software EQ? Interesting - another "only in audio" moment I say.
The amount of stuff you need to know to EQ your IEMs is not small. Also not all source devices offer this functionality. Anybody can operate switches.

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
, people still prefer using predefined tuning through hardware switches over infinetely tunable software EQ? Interesting - another "only in audio" moment I say.
No, people just want to buy new IEMs and imagine improvements. Not a bad way to pass time and these seem to be pretty cheap ones, so why not.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The amount of stuff you need to know to EQ your IEMs is not small. Also not all source devices offer this functionality. Anybody can operate switches.
Partially agree.

I don' think you need to know a lot to use basic EQ. If you are willing to play around with dip switches to see how they affect the sound, you can play around with sliders/knobs to see what they do as well. And you don't need to borrow hair pins from the Mrs to do that.

Agree EQ functionality is not as commonly available as it should be, and this might be an OK stopgap solution for manufacturers to offer various tunings for various tastes. But, reading Dan Clark's comments on Aeon Noire review, I am not sure how feasible it might be in the long run.

Last edited:

bodhi

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not just IEMs. There's so much resolution to be had with new stuff!
Everything else is in hifi quite expensive to update all the time. You can buy several new IEMs monthly with very limited budget.

I have to admire IEM manufacturers' marketing efforts, they grew the business amazingly quickly and it's generating a lot of sales. Although I still don't understand how they are making profit when there are hundreds of new models released yearly. Research and product line configuration changes are not free after all.

Take this product for example: I'm not sure there is a market segment for people who are interest in weird IEMs AND don't have EQ capable matchbox like Qudelix.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
They keep inventing themselves it seems. The new trend, which I was referring to earlier, is this tuning capability via dip switches. And there are quite a few of them by now so looks like it is catching some attention in the market.

unpluggged

Shouldn't this thread be moved to the Desperate Dealers section?

Top Bottom