• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm done selling on eBay

Hoteliilness

I buy/sell new and used amps/dacs/daps/headphones. Untill today i used eBay. As seller they want too much info that i am willing to provide SSN and bank #'s. They no longer process payments to sellers through PayPal. This is not my lively hood and i'm not playing by their rules.
So my question to all is where do you buy and sell your used gear? other than eBay.

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I buy/sell new and used amps/dacs/daps/headphones. Untill today i used eBay. As seller they want too much info that i am willing to provide SSN and bank #'s. They no longer process payments to sellers through PayPal. This is not my lively hood and i'm not playing by their rules.
So my question to all is where do you buy and sell your used gear? other than eBay.

Facebook market place.

This forum.

BillH

Forum Donor
Boston area has a healthy Craigslist.

leeroy 85032

Avs, audioholics and this forum as well as local resources...

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Audiogon used to work well, though the clientele can be a little weird. Audioholics seems like mostly an HT crowd, and I’ve noticed negative comments on some ads about pricing, etc. usaaudiomart may be the premier site now.

raindance

Major Contributor
Yeah, if you sell on audiogon and the item has a speck of dust on it or there's a dirty page in the user manual, best beware.

USAudiomart works OK for me these days, but sales are slower.

Craigslist is always a race to the bottom "what's your lowest price?".

OP
Hoteliilness

Hoteliilness

Thanks for all the quick replies, i'll look into these sites. I may be limited as i forgot to mention i'm in my mid 50's and have never and will never go near the big social media sites (FB/Twitter). If these sites require that i am SOL. I can/will still buy on eBay as paypal still is useable. It's just when you sell your funds no longer go through paypal its handled in house. Selling an item will be my issue.

Martin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

What, what, what??? They still process all my sales payments through PayPal. ???

Martin

OP
Hoteliilness

Hoteliilness

You sure? sale i had last night was not normal through paypal. Got someone on phone from ebay and they are no longer in bed with paypal for SALES transaction funds for sellers.
Go to ebay members forum and search it's all there

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What, what, what??? They still process all my sales payments through PayPal. ???

Martin

Ebay is in the process of weaning itself off Paypal. My understanding is that it will be a couple of years before they no longer allow it for sales.

win

Ebay is in the process of weaning itself off Paypal. My understanding is that it will be a couple of years before they no longer allow it for sales.

I don't think this is true at all

win

What part is not true? I made two statements. lol

I realize that PayPal was sold by eBay, but still, it is almost part and parcel to how they do business. As someone who buys way too much stuff on eBay, I can't remember the last time someone even offered a non PayPal payment option. Fact is PayPal is a great product and sellers who don't offer it miss sales opportunities. Not just on eBay but everywhere.

Who wants to dig out their cc when you just login to the same trusted service virtually everywhere you go online?

Tl;dr: PayPal is on eBay to stay

RickSanchez

Major Contributor
Cartographer
SSN? Is this a joke? That site is retarded if true.

Scary but true. I got a message from eBay about a month ago about their transition (for sellers) away from PayPal. So I started to go through their process for updating my seller account. Got to step #2 where it asked for my SSN and immediately stopped.

win

How is eBay going to arbitrate all the disputes? Part of the appeal for them using PayPal is it takes care of buyer seller disputes. I don't think that's a problem that eBay is equipped to deal with anymore.

raistlin65

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I realize that PayPal was sold by eBay, but still, it is almost part and parcel to how they do business. As someone who buys way too much stuff on eBay, I can't remember the last time someone even offered a non PayPal payment option. Fact is PayPal is a great product and sellers who don't offer it miss sales opportunities. Not just on eBay but everywhere.

Who wants to dig out their cc when you just login to the same trusted service virtually everywhere you go online?

Tl;dr: PayPal is on eBay to stay

eBay has started offering their own alternative to PayPal, and they are very actively encouraging sellers to sign up for it.

There was some discussion prior to the recent contract negotiation between eBay and Paypal, that eBay might not continue using PayPal. They did manage to come to a deal until 2023.

Obviously, eBay would love to get to a place where all sellers use their financial service instead of PayPal.

And buyers would get used to it. They already buy from lots of websites that don't use PayPal.

Top Bottom