• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I'm building my man cave/theater. Where to put things?

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Today was getting tar paper up. He may have drilled the ceiling holes for the lights. Not totally sure. Still waiting to hear from a friend on a mudder/taper.

Also had to drive about 20 miles out of my way to get home, thanks to a downed tree blocking both lanes. Fun! Called 911 and reported. #countrylife. Mebbe i should start carrying a chainsaw in the trunk. Wasn't the first time. Won't be the last.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Exterior stucco went up last weekend, around the base and along the upper part of the back wall where it hits the hillside. My friend did an amazing job, and it was his second stucco experience ever.

Holes for lights are drilled. Currently working to get drywall mud and tape. Massive difference between bids so far. One guy at 750-1000. Another at 1700-1900. A third guy wants to come by Saturday and look. Hopefully I kind get a friend referral for a fourth. Two of them are just craigslist guys with photos, so hard to know how legit they are. It's not rocket science, though. Details to discuss with them later. But we're almost there! Well, then flooring and paint. Ugh!

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Matching siding was expensive as I had it custom made. Now it's all painted inside and out. Dark blue denim color. Ready for flooring probably late next week or the week after, electrical finaliinstall, and base trim in a slightly lighter blue.

Attachments

• IMG_20200626_055810.jpg
    IMG_20200626_055810.jpg
    4.4 MB · Views: 143
  • IMG_20200626_055621.jpg
    IMG_20200626_055621.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20200621_170411.jpg
    IMG_20200621_170411.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 122
OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our house is deep in a canyon in the SF Bay Area green belt. That means no cell signal and terrible internet choices. We have ATT 768kbps downloads on a good day for DSL, which we've supplemented with Exede metered satellite that has a 150GB data cap. We hit the data cap regularly, and the speed is still pretty slow during the day, <600Kbps (capital this time) on a Sunday as I post this. Peak can his 2-3 Mbps in the middle of the night, but it's still metered.

Hence, today I cut down four trees to clear a ground level line of sight to a tower just installed at the top of the canyon. Hopefully 20mpbs+ internet is only a week or two away, with 500gb and up limits. I did manage to clip the well house with the pine tree, but it only tore the rain gutter partly off and somewhat damage a nearby kumquat tree. One of the oaks and the pine were healthy, so I mourn them, but one oak so rotten inside that I cut 1/3 of the way through the trunk when it fell. Another was rotten in the core, about 4" in diameter. Now I think I need to go cutting down a bunch of oaks so they fall where I want them to fall, instead of onto buildings on their own schedules.

My shoes were so covered in forget-me-not seeds, it's scary. I could seriously start packaging and selling them online, considering how many of these damn things we have.

The terrestrial wireless internet company uses Ubiquiti hardware, so I've been building a Ubiquiti mesh. I absolutely hate our Aruba "industrial quality" network. Utter garbage - totally unreliable. The Ubiqiti gear is pretty darned nice in comparison.

GTsmokeya84

Forum Donor
Looking great. I have a upstairs loft for my theater room and I have been lost with style/function so cool to see other peoples spaces and ideas. Congrats and keep at it.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Room is floored and painted. Now it just needs power and final hvac installed. Should be totally done this weekend. I'll take final photos once lights are in.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it finished?
The room itself is finished. The furniture is all in and much has been put away. I have not gotten my projector or screen yet. I have borrowed a projector to play with screen size, and as I expected, 120 is just right. I have a magnifying lens that let's me enlarge a picture from a projector, but focus and placement are not obvious. That makes me hesitant to go with a jvc like the nx5, which will throw too short without the magnifying lens from navitar. I may go with a ust projector, but I will have to wait as several are coming out later this year. Ust screens are more expensive and have worse contrast than a proper jvc projector in the back of the room.

I've not run Dirac yet as the screen size would determine speaker location.

All first world problems to solve. No hurry. I'm using a 48 inch cx oled as my computer monitor and loving it. I think I will run ethernet into here. Should have done it from the start, but I thought the mesh network would be faster than it is.

Attachments

• IMG_20200917_011216.jpg
    IMG_20200917_011216.jpg
    4.5 MB · Views: 107
  • IMG_20200917_011202.jpg
    IMG_20200917_011202.jpg
    4.6 MB · Views: 93

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Did you do one of those install it yourself mini-splits or did you have someone come put it in? I'm kind of curious about how well the install it yourself ones work.

Trouble Maker

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Thanks! It's something that might fix a problem for us. Our attic was finished into a bedroom and it's probably 10-20 degrees warmer up there despite having 2 sends and 1 return to the main unit. For now we just put a window AC in there during the summer. Some kind of zoning seems like the best solution. I'm sure our 25 year old HVAC unit could use replaced too. So the debate for me is to go with a multi split, or just replace the main unit downstairs and do a mini-split for upstairs.

OP
B

beefkabob

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
25 years is past due. You could have it serviced or replaced then see if the cooling improves. I don't think split or central are superior one way or another. It depends on the situation. The room is so well insulated and sealed, I have to run a circulation fan or watch the air get stale and full of co2. It's just a low noise bathroom fan. 80cfm. There's a separate inlet with an air filter.

Top Bottom