• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Mussyo

Hello there,
I am probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but here it goes.
I love the way the ifi dac v2 truebass button works, it just doesn't have enough power, i was using it on a pair of HD800s.
Since then, i have bought the topping a90 d90 combo. What i want to do is somehow get that "truebass" to be added to this chain. I was wondering if it was possible and how.
PC > D90 > IFI DAC V2 with "TrueBass" on > A90.
Is this possible without blowing anything up ? I am using balanced between D90 to A90 and the balanced XLR for my HD800s.
I looked for a preamp from ifi with this setting, but none of them are balanced. I am willing to buy more equipment to achieve it, but obviously would prefer not to. Also if someone has a peace EQ that emulates it, i would be more that grateful, I just have been unable to do it "by ear" and I could not find any resources to achieve the same effect.
Maybe this is too much, maybe i am being a moron, who knows. I like what i like and I would really appreciate the time if anyone has an answer, thanks a lot!

Vini darko

Major Contributor
Hi welcome to asr. Nothing wrong with liking tone control.
I dont see a way of putting the ifi between your topping gear. However you could get a usb hub and spdif splitter to feed both dac's simultaneously. Then use the rca output from the ifi to the A90. So you'd have ultra clean dac and fun dac at the flick of a switch on the A90.

dresler

Also if someone has a peace EQ that emulates it, i would be more that grateful, I just have been unable to do it "by ear" and I could not find any resources to achieve the same effect.

I couldn't find any measurements of the iFi DAC v2 "Truebass" effect, but assuming that it's the same (or at least similar) to the one in the first version, then

12.1 dB at 68 Hz w/ Q=0.48

should emulate it perfectly.

truebass-eq.png

I found the measurement here, at post #439 in this head-fi thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-winner-best-value-dac-2020-21.917374/page-30

Edit: Judging by the difference between the measurements I found and the measurements in Veri's link, I would not be surprised if iFi had changed the parameters of the boost when developing the v2 model.

Last edited:

Veri

Master Contributor
I couldn't find any measurements of the iFi DAC v2 "Truebass" effect, but assuming that it's the same (or at least similar) to the one in the first version, then

View attachment 180925

I found the measurement here, at post #439 in this head-fi thread: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/ifi...-winner-best-value-dac-2020-21.917374/page-30
Two alternative EQs for the iFi bass boost:
https://www.reddit.com/r/headphones/comments/9lkvne

OP
M

Mussyo

View attachment 180925

I believe this got the closest, done some A B testing and it's still not the same haha.

What is that button doing that i enjoy so much. This will have to do it seems. Thanks for the help.

Veri

Master Contributor
Actually i was wondering, would something like this be able to be integrated ?
but i don't know about amp to amp :/
Amir plotted and criticized the bass toggles in this review https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...fi-pro-ican-headphone-amplifier-review.12247/

index.php

D

Deleted member 21219

I am probably going to get a lot of hate for this, but here it goes.
I love the way the ifi dac v2 truebass button works,

Why would you anticipate any hate? You have something and you like it. You're not telling everyone else to like it the way you do, and you're not saying that it has some sort of unmeasurable "magic". I see no problem. I doubt anyone else does.

BTW - welcome to the forums. Jim Taylor

EJ3

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Why would you anticipate any hate? You have something and you like it. You're not telling everyone else to like it the way you do, and you're not saying that it has some sort of unmeasurable "magic". I see no problem. I doubt anyone else does.

BTW - welcome to the forums. Jim Taylor
Yes, I agree! Welcome!

Veri

Master Contributor
With all due respect, this means nothing to me haha, i wish i knew what half of it meant, i know that the "truebass" function sounds really good to me. :(
He meant that iFi made the pro iCan hardware EQ too confusing :p the effect is not what one would intuitively expect. That's all.

OP
M

Mussyo

is there a way to quantify the effects in a way where someone who has never done eq properly could understand ?

explain it like i am 5 or something but like maybe a 2 year old haha.

Adaboy4z

That was a good question. I enjoy the X bass on the iFi Go blu dac/Amp as well. I'm going to try the suggested 68hz adjustment.

BillyKueek

What does it sound like just feeding the Zen-Dac straight into the A90 Amp ?
https://Amazon.com/dp/B07WTQ9M9B
I actually tried that. I connected the iFi Zen DAC V2 with the Topping A90. I can hear an increase in Bass as compared to Topping D90SE and A90 But it’s still not the same. Anyone uses the iFi iDSD Pro Signature who can tell me how it sounds? And if the Pro iCAN must be used with the iDSD Pro? I am new to this so I’m confused because the iDSD Pro also has tube and built in amp

Top Bottom