• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

ifi Zen blue V2 vs Wiim Pro Plus worth the change?

Riggs88

Hi all,

Just a couple questions on potentially upgrading my source for mainly listening to Spotify.

So currently I am using a Ifi Zen blue V2 as a source, (codec LDAC) going to my Marantz PM 6007, via coax playing through a pair of Focal Aria 926's.

Would the Wimm pro plus give me any sonic improvement compared to the ifi? maybe say fed through some RCA's bypassing the Marantz AK4490 DAC.

Thanks

staticV3

Master Contributor
Would the Wimm pro plus give me any sonic improvement compared to the ifi?
If you use the WiiM's Parametric EQ to apply room correction to your Focals, then you can for sure expect sonic improvements.

LDAC->Spotify Connect and AK4490->AK4493S on the other hand, are unlikely to result in audible improvements.

OP
Riggs88

Riggs88

If you use the WiiM's Parametric EQ to apply room correction to your Focals, then you can for sure expect sonic improvements.

LDAC->Spotify Connect and AK4490->AK4493S on the other hand, are unlikely to result in audible improvements.
Ah okay so basically try and get the frequency response for the room as close to flat as possible using the 4 band and a good app?

OP
Riggs88

Riggs88

Great information thanks.

I have a Avr from Yamaha in different room and using YPAO both flat and natural settings sounded terrible to my ears, like Erin mentioned thin and shrill, always turned it off and used manual EQ to my preference.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Also, a 10-band PEQ is already in beta and will be added to the stable firmware soon.
Is the computing power sufficient for this or will it only be possible with a certain hardware version?

OP
Riggs88

Riggs88

So just thought I’d do a follow after buying the WiiM. The PEQ has made a very noticeable difference to the sound coming From my 926’s. Music is now smoother and more natural sounding, before it sounded a bit thin in the vocals and quite harsh at the top. I have attached a few before and afters using Decible X to track the frequencies from my listening position. Any tips in regard’s to the EQ is welcome.

Attachments

• IMG_0035.jpeg
    IMG_0035.jpeg
    131.5 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_0036.jpeg
    IMG_0036.jpeg
    137.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0041.png
    IMG_0041.png
    781.2 KB · Views: 26

staticV3

Master Contributor
So just thought I’d do a follow after buying the WiiM. The PEQ has made a very noticeable difference to the sound coming From my 926’s. Music is now smoother and more natural sounding, before it sounded a bit thin in the vocals and quite harsh at the top. I have attached a few before and afters using Decible X to track the frequencies from my listening position. Any tips in regard’s to the EQ is welcome.
1. If you're on iOS, use the HouseCurve App instead of Decibel X, as it was designed specifically for this purpose (in-room loudpeaker response measurements)

2. Do not EQ your speaker to flat in-room response: https://youtu.be/_tnWB8Rl0Ms

OP
Riggs88

Riggs88

Everyday is a school day, thanks.

No EQ Pic doesn’t look too bad to my untrained eyes! except maybe for that large dip around 220hz. I take it the B&K curve is the one to use rather than Harman for serious listening. Cheers

Attachments

• IMG_0045.png
    IMG_0045.png
    155.5 KB · Views: 15

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
1. If you're on iOS, use the HouseCurve App instead of Decibel X, as it was designed specifically for this purpose (in-room loudpeaker response measurements)

2. Do not EQ your speaker to flat in-room response: https://youtu.be/_tnWB8Rl0Ms
Thank you for recommending the House Curve app, I had no idea that this nifty app existed, which makes it so easy.
Everyday is a school day, thanks.

No EQ Pic doesn’t look too bad to my untrained eyes! except maybe for that large dip around 220hz. I take it the B&K curve is the one to use rather than Harman for serious listening. Cheers

I think Harman is usually preferred by many, but B&K curve is more diffuse field IMO and may be a bit different. But it's based on personal preference.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I tried the B&K for my edifier 1280T and it was too bright.

OP
Riggs88

Riggs88

I tried the B&K for my edifier 1280T and it was too bright.
Those 1280's look real decent for the price.

I'm starting to realise just how little i treble prefer, standard the 926's fit the Harman curve quite well but they still need a 3db cut from 4kish to my ears.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Those 1280's look real decent for the price.

I'm starting to realise just how little i treble prefer, standard the 926's fit the Harman curve quite well but they still need a 3db cut from 4kish to my ears.
1280's are decent and cheap for desktop listening, I've had them for more than six years, and they've been cycled around various setups.

Top Bottom