• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you have full range main speakers can a single sub be enough?

Willem

Major Contributor
@BDWoody That is quite a challenge but you also have great opportunities. I am a quite recent subwoofer convert since I only bought my first a decade ago and have spent a lot of time abroad in the meantime. I am learning fast but it is a disgrace that integration and dsp room eq are not more just plug and play. The industry seems focussed on irrelevant detail only, with little attention to the elephant in the room: the room itself.

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor
That is quite a challenge but you also have great opportunities. I am a quite recent subwoofer convert since I only bought my first a decade ago and have spent a lot of time abroad in the meantime. I am learning fast but it is a disgrace that integration and dsp room eq are not more just plug and play.

It will be a good exercise. I agree, it should be a bit easier. I had been using the dual sub outs on the pre-pro and xt32, but I think I'd be better off just biting the REW bullet and get the initial climb up the learning curve out of the way so I can get 4 nice subs pressurizing my room a little more evenly.

First world problems...

AudioJester

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
No, the whole idea bores the living f*cking daylights out of me. I still need to go out to my cable store and find a long enough cable to go between the computer and amp input and it is cold and raining.

Order online and have it delivered. No need to get wet or cold.

mSpot

I understood that you have full range speaker going to 26hz with -3db. I have similar ones (X6). I fail to understand for what kind of music you want to add subwoofers.
It isn't so much about getting lower bass extension. It's about achieving more even bass response in the room. The mains speakers are often not at ideal locations for generating bass. A subwoofer has the advantage of more flexible placement to optimize for room interaction.

JoachimStrobel

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
It isn't so much about getting lower bass extension. It's about achieving more even bass response in the room. The mains speakers are often not at ideal locations for generating bass. A subwoofer has the advantage of more flexible placement to optimize for room interaction.
I guess one has to find the right balance between the extra complexity that subwoofers bring, the improved esthetics of the setup, the benefit that room correction offer and the simplicity of the approach. Likewise, two speaker are really not very good for reproducing music, 5-9 would be better, but then, one gets easily carried away.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I have multichannel output (not stereo); I am using an Okto Research DAC8 Pro USB sound card
I am doing all the DSP in Jriver (channel mixing, Dirac, splitting the signal, delay and crossover)
Please see attached a PPT I sent to Dirac to explain the same
I hope this helps

Attachments

• 4.2 mixing with Jriver.zip
    830.3 KB · Views: 172
OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Order online and have it delivered. No need to get wet or cold.
My workshop is outside. I have hundreds of cables, no need to buy more.
Given it looks a real ball-ache to do and I am not disatisfied with the sound I am in no rush and I will need a day with absolutely nothing else to do before it gets to the top of my to-do list now.
I started the thread to see f there was an easy way that would work better than what I have tried so far. It seems not.

onion

I have Genelec 8341s with a 7350 sub, a 7360 sub and currently using GLM.

I've found that placement of the subs and the furniture (sofa) is more critical than the auto-EQ that GLM applies afterwards. Even then, the smoothest frequency response for the individual subs does not equate into to the best sound. There's something about the way they sum that creates big peaks and nulls either side of the listening position.

The subs are phase-aligned with the speakers, not each other with the left sub close to the listening position near the left rear corner. The subs are not localisable. And stereo imaging is superb.

Moving the sofa a bit closer to the speakers (50cm) really messes up the sub frequency response (that look like comb filtering at 60, 70, 80Hz) and gives rise to big peaks and nulls across the sofa.

Subjectively, the current placement sounds wonderful. Even with 60s pop recordings, the drums just 'pop' without any 'boominess'. I've not really heard bass like this before. Right now, I'm using my ears more than measurements to figure out bass problems. At some point, I may get one or two more GLM subs but not just yet.

cyruz

I have multichannel output (not stereo); I am using an Okto Research DAC8 Pro USB sound card
I am doing all the DSP in Jriver (channel mixing, Dirac, splitting the signal, delay and crossover)
Please see attached a PPT I sent to Dirac to explain the same
I hope this helps

Interesting. Thank you for the ppt, it's clear!

Top Bottom