• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If you have full range main speakers can a single sub be enough?

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
As per the title, can a single sub added to a pair of full range speakers be set up to behave like a system with 3 subs, and if so which software would do it best?
I realise in such a system two of the "subs" will have a fixed location.

ppataki

Major Contributor
I have a pair of fullrange speakers (Audio Nirvana 12" classic) and I have one SVS SB-1000 under each of those; so basically I put the cabinet of the Nirvanas on top of the subs
I cross them over at 190Hz using iZotope EQ and I use Dirac Live 3 for room correction then iZotope Vintage EQ for tonality adjustments (all this in Jriver 27)
I also have a pair of the same Nirvanas as rear speakers (currently not having a sub under those but planned for next year)
This way you will not lose the directivity information in the bass range and will take the low-end burden off of the main full range speakers
I am extremely happy with the results personally
I hope this helps

andreasmaaan

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Could you explain what you mean "behave like a system with 3 subs" in a bit more detail? :)

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
As per the title, can a single sub added to a pair of full range speakers be set up to behave like a system with 3 subs, and if so which software would do it best?
This seems like a three sub setup, which often looks very close to a good as 4 sub setups, so likely very good.
Is this for something other than you Devialet setup which could do it.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Not entirely clear what you are trying to do. Are you looking for a way to route the LFE-signal of a movie soundtrack to your main speakers?

EDIT: There's also almost no such thing as a full range speaker, which speakers are we talking about?

Dimifoot

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

I use a 2 subs+2 mains (40hz and up) for LFE and .1 duties. It works well.
Software/hardware: Trinnov.

mSpot

Could you explain what you mean "behave like a system with 3 subs" in a bit more detail? :)
I think he means that his full range speakers already extend down to subwoofer range, so whether adding a sub would be equivalent to a system with 3 subs.

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

This is what I do. I use a pair of Salon2s full-range and a sub with DSP adjusted to fill in dips in the measured response at the listening seat below 100Hz. The challenge is that it requires L/R speakers with strong response in the 20-40Hz octave, and they're rare. The strategy seems to work fine for music systems, but if you have a home theater system (especially with multi-row seating) I still like multiple subs a lot better. It's just easier to feed the LFE channel into subs. I got the idea from someone using this strategy with B&W 800Ds, and he says he got it from another web site. The single sub + mains full-range strategy does need DSP either in a discrete component or in the sub. Running the sub with a simple low-pass filter and mains full-range results in bloated bass octaves.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not entirely clear what you are trying to do. Are you looking for a way to route the LFE-signal of a movie soundtrack to your main speakers?

EDIT: There's also almost no such thing as a full range speaker, which speakers are we talking about?
Goldmund Epilog 1&2 -3 dB point 26Hz iirc

Jdunk54nl

Addicted to Fun and Learning
They will work well as long as you get them in phase with each other via time alignment or phase adjustments (not just a polarity adjustment). Anytime you have multiple speakers playing the same frequencies you have the same issues.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Simply a system with 3 LF sources at different locations in the room.
My room was set up over 20 years ago by positioning the speakers for most even bass, and I have a sub which integrates fairly well but I wondered if anybody used a bit of DSP code (nothing like this was available of course when the room was set up).
I have tried a DSPeaker multi mode and Audyssey but for me the DSPeaker was overall worse and I only use Audyssey for films I hear no gain on music, in fact using the FR recommended by Amir in his Audyssey review is bloated overdone bass on the sort of music I listen to, awful, not as good as the carefully positioned speakers with no manipulation.

OP
Frank Dernie

Frank Dernie

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I suppose what I am really asking is if anybody knows if there is something which is likely to be better than what I have now.
Devialet have just come up with a way of adding room compensation filters for its DSP engine, so I may well try that first.

Top Bottom