• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Jamo C97 II with 2 KLH Subs, UMIK-1 with REW and Equalizer APO

bleepbloop

All,

I have finally gotten around to using my new C97 II speakers, the UMIK-1, REW, and Equalizer APO. For the relatively cheap gear I have, this is the best sound I have been able to achieve in my house and the Jamo C97 II solved my lacking musical punch problem. I did find what I think might be a cancelation in my listening area at 200hz. I just can't seem to correct the 200ish hz range when both speakers are playing at the same time. It is audible with a tone but not that audible in music or at least that I can tell. 200hz is much louder if I move about 1.5 feet left or right but in dead center, it's -10db or so by the UMIK-1 measurement. Any suggestions, maybe add some physical room correction? This is my 2nd effort with filters, I spent about 4-5 hours on this getting all software and hardware setup and doing the measurements and filtering.

How perfect should I expect in room to be on a chart? +/- 5db, +/- 3db? The attached image is with REW filters loaded into Equlizer pro (corrections are applied). I brought up the right filter level by 0.5db after I took the image attached. I need to re-run REW but the L and R channels seem more even to my ears now. Purple line is L and R with both subs. Dark blue line is Left with both subs and blue/green line is Right with subs.

Some notes: Subs are set to assist all the way up to 100hz. The speakers are set to full range. I used the house curve at default within REW to create my filters with 68db being the target average. I used left + subs and right + subs for measurements, both subs and speakers are equal distance from back wall and listening area and left and right equal as well. I cannot split left and right subs (yet), my receiver has two sub outs but I assume they are the same mono channel as they both always play even when L/R are playing separately. This did mean both left and right speaker filters applied to both of subs at the same time unfortunately. I did db balance all channels and both subs individually at least. One by one getting their db readings within 0.5db or so, this meant turning off or unplugging speakers/subs etc.

I have to thank this forum for recommending a UMIK-1 to me, music is so much better on this setup than it was before.

Cheers!

Attachments

• 20231124_144252.jpg
    20231124_144252.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 116
Last edited:

Maginness

I have some C97 II myself. In my main listening area, I could never get them dialed in. The room is awful for a bunch of reasons. I ended up changing them for stand-mount speakers + 2 subs. Gave me better positioning options.

My C97 II are in the garage with a miniDSP DDRC-24 (Dirac) and I'm super happy with how they sound. I don't have any REW charts to share but did use a UMIK-1 and Dirac to set them up.

OP
B

bleepbloop

I have some C97 II myself. In my main listening area, I could never get them dialed in. The room is awful for a bunch of reasons. I ended up changing them for stand-mount speakers + 2 subs. Gave me better positioning options.

My C97 II are in the garage with a miniDSP DDRC-24 (Dirac) and I'm super happy with how they sound. I don't have any REW charts to share but did use a UMIK-1 and Dirac to set them up.
Mine are quite bad in their current position below 100hz for equalizing. Huge low db output from 63hz to 97hz or so. My subs were once in the same position as the speakers and I had the same issue so speaker/sub placement definitely matters. I moved the subs farther away from listening area closer to the rear wall and that resolved the issue with the subs, it was so bad it was extremely audible. When I get rid of my current sectional couch for 3 comfy chairs, I'll probably move the speakers further out from the back wall and re-test everything. For now, with subs, they sound fantastic, without subs, I can hear the missing frequencies. Long term goal is a room engineered specifically for speakers and subs.

Edit: Attached Speaker only REW results. This is with correction. Bad from ~63hz to 95hz. The 200hz dip is there too.

Attachments

• C97 II Only.PNG
    C97 II Only.PNG
    579.6 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:

ReDFoX

Mine are quite bad in their current position below 100hz for equalizing. Huge low db output from 63hz to 97hz or so. My subs were once in the same position as the speakers and I had the same issue so speaker/sub placement definitely matters. I moved the subs farther away from listening area closer to the rear wall and that resolved the issue with the subs, it was so bad it was extremely audible. When I get rid of my current sectional couch for 3 comfy chairs, I'll probably move the speakers further out from the back wall and re-test everything. For now, with subs, they sound fantastic, without subs, I can hear the missing frequencies. Long term goal is a room engineered specifically for speakers and subs.

Edit: Attached Speaker only REW results. This is with correction. Bad from ~63hz to 95hz. The 200hz dip is there too.
How many points did you use to make these averaged measurements?

OP
B

bleepbloop

How many points did you use to make these averaged measurements?
Only one in these charts, dead center evenly between the L and R channels and is the average of 3 measurements for each. I did measure 6 inches left and 6 inches right, the results were within ~1db through the entire range. To my ears there isn't much change until I get about 1.5ish feet left or right away from dead center which is outside my listening area.

staticV3

Master Contributor
@bleepbloop it's still a matter of personal preference of course, but your in-room response is not supposed to be flat.

Neutral speakers will show show a roughly 0.7dB/Octave drop in frequency response when measured in-room, or a roughly 5dB drop from 100Hz to 20kHz :
Revel F208 Twoer Speaker Spinorama CEA2034 Predicted In-room Response  frequency audio measure...png Genelec 8341A SAM™ Studio Monitor Powered Speaker CEA-2034 Spinorama Predicted In-room Respons...png

Erin did a great video about this: https://youtu.be/_tnWB8Rl0Ms

Last edited:
OP
B

bleepbloop

@bleepbloop it's still a matter of personal preference of course, but your in-room response is not supposed to be flat.

Neutral speakers will show show a roughly 0.7dB/Octave drop in frequency response when measured in-room, or a roughly 5dB drop from 100Hz to 20kHz :
View attachment 330023 View attachment 330024

Erin did a great video about this: https://youtu.be/_tnWB8Rl0Ms
Thanks! I did apply a slight house curve to mine where the lows are slightly higher volume than the higher frequencies, at least that was the goal. I truly do love the sound I have currently so I am not sure if I'll make many adjustments for a while. I would like a receiver or DAC that has true left and right sub channels, Emotiva makes one I believe. That'd allow me to get truly equal sound out of each side vs subs doing both L and R at the same time.

Last edited:
OP
B

bleepbloop

Given that the 200 Hz cancelation is not significantly affecting your music listening experience, would it be more beneficial to focus on optimizing the overall frequency response rather than meticulously correcting this specific frequency range?:)
That is a good question. I'm not entirely sure what an audible difference there is in 3db or so in the higher frequencies. The lower ones seem easier to my ears to hear differences in. I am not sure what the "gold standard" is for +/- db. In a more perfect world I'd love to see the chart +/- 1db or less through the entire range, I'm just not sure that's possible in my mostly concrete room with random things all over and no physical room corrections. Maybe adding bass traps would help with 200hz? I'm totally new to room equalization.

OP
B

bleepbloop

I decided to replace the KLH subs with DIY subs. I chose the UM10-22 x2. 2 boxes, one per sub. Tuning to 21hz or so. 2.3 cubic foot boxes with driver, amp and port displacement calculated into the box. Port will be 17 inches long 3" flared, 1 per box. At my listening volume, hopefully I do not get port chuffing. If I do, I'll have to go up a size and curl the port around.

Top Bottom