• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

In ceiling speaker system - advice requested

xirtam2005

Helping a good friend put together an in ceiling speaker system. Due to spouse approval, there is no compromise on speaker location and they need to be in ceiling.'

Total system will be 5.1, with focus on excellent sports sound & surround effect (only broadcast in 5.1), action movies, and playing country & pop music. Sound quality important without the use cases.

He got an installed quote for the following system:
5 Klipsch DS-160 for main system
1 Klipsch R-101 for main system sub
2 Klipsch DS-160 for outdoor patio
Denon AVX X-1800H receiver

Fully installed quote, inside and outside, $4200.

He can afford to increase the overall system cost by up to 70% of the quoted components if it will make a difference to his objectives. I know next to nothing about in ceiling speakers, so am looking for advice. Given a lot of his use cases are loud dynamic, should he get a better sub and a more powerful receiver? Whatever receiver he gets will need to have a second zone with full range output to that zone. Thanks.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Klipsch speakers don't always test so well (many reviews at Erin's Audio Corner). Go to the the Review index (above) > Speakers (header) > type ceiling in the search box. Maybe KEF FL, Center, FR and RSL in Rear L&R
Edit: Also new big Subwoofer shoot out in Reviews above

Last edited:

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you are doing 5.1 you need angled speakers. At least 30 degrees and preferably 45 degrees for the front speakers. Having speakers that aim down no matter how good they disperse or measure is simply the wrong speaker for this application. Forget the pivoting tweeter type. The whole speaker needs to angle. If the front speakers are 8 feet away that angle would be 60 degrees. If the fronts are further the angle would even be greater, meaning an angled speaker is best. You can use non-angled speakers for the surround speakers, if close to seating. I would get them from the same manufacturer and series if possible. Another consideration and might be accepted by his wife is an LCR speaker bar under the TV for the front 3 speakers.

Triad, Paradigm, Golden Ear, Revel, Elac, Definitive Technology, Monoprice all have models that angle 30 degrees or more. There are other brands as well, this is just off the top of my head. Kef and RSL don't angle enough. They are nice speakers but not right for this application.

OP
X

xirtam2005

Thanks. Based on the advice, my contact wanted built-ins, but he went with in-wall for front LCR vs. in-ceiling, so the sound will be coming from the right direction. My contact really wanted Klipsch, so he placed an order for the following system: Klipsch Pro 18-RW for front LCR, Klipsch Pro 18-RC for the surrounds, and Klipsch RP-1200 sub. Denon X3800H receiver. He was able to get a decent discount FWIW. He didn't seem to bite at the Paradigm, Golden Ear, etc, since he had never heard of them.

Alice of Old Vincennes

Major Contributor
Thanks. Based on the advice, my contact wanted built-ins, but he went with in-wall for front LCR vs. in-ceiling, so the sound will be coming from the right direction. My contact really wanted Klipsch, so he placed an order for the following system: Klipsch Pro 18-RW for front LCR, Klipsch Pro 18-RC for the surrounds, and Klipsch RP-1200 sub. Denon X3800H receiver. He was able to get a decent discount FWIW. He didn't seem to bite at the Paradigm, Golden Ear, etc, since he had never heard of them.
Unfortunately, your friend will not follow your advice on speaker brand. At least you moved him up to 3800 and abandoned ceiling plan.

Top Bottom