• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If "Tube Sound" Is a Myth, Why Tubes?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Yes, certainly could be.

Though....expectation bias remains an uncontrolled variable until it is identified as THE significant variable and source of the perceived differences.
In other words: could be sighted bias, could be real sonic differences perceived, but before doing blind tests, you can't tell which.

Out of curiosity, do you think that for sure the explanation for why I hear a difference between my tube amps and solid state amps is sighted bias, and if so why?

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Barely appropos of this, but it was fun checking out a blind test online between 3 guitar amp sounds - real tube amp, tube emulator software, and a solid state amp. Before knowing which was which, and going over the sounds several times before the reveal, one sounded just right to me, another oddly crunchy and off-putting, the other not as good as the first. Turns out I had preferred the tube amp sound. The off-putting amp was using the tube emulation software.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Out of curiosity, do you think that for sure the explanation for why I hear a difference between my tube amps and solid state amps is sighted bias, and if so why?

In a cosmic sense, no. As a practical matter, it is far and away the most likely. There's no magic in electronics, there's just basic physics. Things like frequency response are demonstrably hearable.

And as a personal experience matter, I've designed, built, and listened to a lot of tube amps. A lot of tube amps. And when I've done blind comparisons with frequency responses matched, the differences disappeared. Likewise, other folks have done the same thing with the same result.

Get frequency response correct, have distortion somewhere under "gross," and run things within their power limits, and amplifier differences disappear under ears-only testing, irrespective of any of the things audiophiles rhapsodize about (active devices, capacitor types, wires, CFA versus VFA topologies...). So until the #1 cause of perceived differences is eliminated (sighted bias), it makes no sense to speculate over other possible causes unknown to engineers.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Good stuff, thanks SIY. Maybe some day I'll get around to bind testing my tube amps vs solid state. For now I can't quite be arsed :)

(BTW, I personally wasn't speculating about causes unknown to engineers, I was looking at what I've read from engineers. Agreed, no woo-woo or magic involved).

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
"An all analog design"

?

1567206185436.png

Looks like there might be a byte or two floating around in there someplace...

BDWoody

Chief Cat Herder
Forum Donor

GGroch

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
You've inspired me to have a silly dream, Keith! (Actually, my idea would be fun to do at a "high-end" audio show.)

I could buy a nice chassis, some hole punches, potted transformer cans, tube sockets, a filament transformer, used tubes with working filaments, and build a phony amp with tubes that glow - and a nice Hypex amp module and SMPS hidden in the chassis...:rolleyes:

James Johnston executed a very similar (and hilarious) experiment when he was in college. He set up a very visible (but not functional) tube amp, a solid state amp, and a switch between them that actually did nothing. He talks about it here (view for a couple of minutes for the story). You can guess which amp the audiophiles preferred, and which the engineers preferred.

It illustrates an important point. In listening as in life we never isolate our biases from our experiences. Not necessarily a bad thing. For me, it explains completely why I enjoy tube amps. Whether there is an actual sonic improvement is beside the point.

cjfrbw

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor

Hugo9000

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Can't they make vacuum tubes with internals that look like a classic sailing ship? You know, a 'ship in a bottle' look. If someone did that, it would justify the high price of some of these amps haha! People could debate the relative sonic merits of a brigantine, frigate, galleon, schooner, caravel, etc. What fun!

Wombat

Master Contributor
Can't they make vacuum tubes with internals that look like a classic sailing ship? You know, a 'ship in a bottle' look. If someone did that, it would justify the high price of some of these amps haha! People could debate the relative sonic merits of a brigantine, frigate, galleon, schooner, caravel, etc. What fun!

......… Clipper, Lugger, Smack, Windjammer or Junk? Barque for guitar amps. :facepalm:

Last edited:

LuckyLuke575

Forum Donor

cjfrbw

Heh, Heh! The AGD GaNTube isn't a tube at all. It contains the ultra fast gallium nitride MOSFETs for a Class D amplifier.

New 'tubes' could be manufactured with updated components. The tube look is strictly decorative and a talisman of 'tube conquest at last' by a class D amplifier (in theory, at least).

cjfrbw

Yes, the concept of tubes generally being gorgeous compressors seems to hold well. Studio engineers would feel crippled without their limiters and compressors.

OP
watchnerd

watchnerd

Grand Contributor
Heh, Heh! The AGD GaNTube isn't a tube at all. It contains the ultra fast gallium nitride MOSFETs for a Class D amplifier.

New 'tubes' could be manufactured with updated components. The tube look is strictly decorative and a talisman of 'tube conquest at last' by a class D amplifier (in theory, at least).

Yes, it's just transistors (very nice ones) in a bottle.

Makes me wonder how maintenance works.

Do you have to break the bottle?

Julf

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Are you sure it isn't a prop from the set of "Metrolopolis"?

Top Bottom