• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

If all speakers measure flat, what is the point of auditioning?

Can you shop solely from measurements alone?

• Yes

• No

Results are only viewable after voting.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
Can extreme DSP mess with the drivers in a bad way? Meaning it taxes them to a point where they don't function at their best

Not sure what "don't function at their best" mean. Can you elaborate? As long as you stay within the linearity limits of the driver with regards to how much power you push into it at any given frequency, I don't think the driver cares much what kind of signal it receives.

prestigetone

Not sure what "don't function at their best" mean. Can you elaborate? As long as you stay within the linearity limits of the driver with regards to how much power you push into it at any given frequency, I don't think the driver cares much what kind of signal it receives.
What artifacts would it introduce? I don't know much about the physics so I am just asking for a friend ha

Ellebob

Forum Donor
If you are using DSP and adding boost to certain frequencies then you could overdrive the driver. However, I would hope that the protection circuit doesn't let it overload the driver.

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
If you are using DSP and adding boost to certain frequencies then you could overdrive the driver. However, I would hope that the protection circuit doesn't let it overload the driver.

I guess we were talking about the crossover design of a speaker here, so not so likely that something that would happen there, unless it was artifically lifted very hard in the bass.

Digby

Major Contributor
Really fine measuring loudspeakers don’t sound that different from one another.
Keith
I can't say that has been my experience, although maybe I haven't heard really fine speakers.

I have compared Behringer B2031A, Genelec 8030C, Hedd 07 MK2, JBL LSR308 MKII and Kali IN-8 V2. The most similar were the Behringer and the Hedd, it would be difficult (though not impossible) to tell them apart. The rest had a character which seemed quite obviously their own, for better or worse (depending on preference).

I would not find all these speakers similarly easy to enjoy, given my room and source material. Some I feel I would find unenjoyable, for the most part. I feel anyone who is an enthusiast would feel similarly, in thay they would likely have a preference (perhaps strong preference) for one or the other speaker.

I think if one was to look at measurements alone, you wouldn't imagine such differences in 'presentation'. Perhaps some people might say I imagined the differences....it is possible, I didn't do any double blind testing, but I find it unlikely they are wholly imagined.

Honestly, and without wishing to start any aggro, I sometimes find it surprising how concerned posters are with differences between amplifiers that will, more likely than not, be inaudible. It is preferable to have 96db+ of signal to noise in an amplifier, but would most really notice if it was only 80db?

Speakers are where the most audible differences lie, and I wonder whether many people much more knowledgable than I share the opinion that 'flat' measuring speakers are much the same? If we compare like with like, saying 2 way bookshelf speakers with 8" bass driver. There are some speakers that seem to struggle at relatively high SPL (sound as if they're 'losing control') and others that play without fatigue to the ear, yet the distortion measurements don't always show this. Sometimes the speaker with higher distortion (given it is relatively benign distortion) will sound more 'in control' at volume than one with lower distortion - how many could take this away from measurements alone? Take horn loaded compression drivers and the relatively high 2nd order distortion that comes with this. It looks bad on the graph, but seems inaudible to the ear.

I got my Genelec 8351b's without ever having heard them. Best speakers I've ever had, by a wide margin.

With that said, I think where extensive listening could have helped me is that I might have felt that something like Neuman 310's with external DSP, or perhaps KEF LS60's, or maybe Sointuva AWG's with a Purifi amp and external DSP, could have given me more or less equally good performance for less money.

Here is an example from tmtomh where they say they might have got 'more or less' equal performance from three different speakers. I would imagine these speakers would sound different from each other, likely enough so that you could pick one from another in a double blind scenario. Presuming this is the case, what is the metric for 'more or less' equal performance?

If they sound presentation is different enough they can be distinguished from each other, then it is different enough that a person can (and likely will) have a preference.

The argument that a given individual would be as happy with any number of 'flat measuring' speakers, seems to be as likely that a given individual would be as happy with a blue, green or yellow car, given the car was the same model.

It might be just my intuition, but I don't think it holds true in reality.

Last edited:

sigbergaudio

Major Contributor
Audio Company
Forum Donor
What artifacts would it introduce? I don't know much about the physics so I am just asking for a friend ha

Filters can introduce ringing. I'll happily admit I'm no expert in digital signal processing, so I am sure someone else can explain what happens in more detail than me.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Here is an example from tmtomh where they say they might have got 'more or less' equal performance from three different speakers. I would imagine these speakers would sound different from each other, likely enough so that you could pick one from another in a double blind scenario. Presuming this is the case, what is the metric for 'more or less' equal performance?

If they sound presentation is different enough they can be distinguished from each other, then it is different enough that a person can (and likely will) have a preference.

The argument that a given individual would be as happy with any number of 'flat measuring' speakers, seems to be as likely that a given individual would be as happy with a blue, green or yellow car, given the car was the same model.

It might be just my intuition, but I don't think it holds true in reality.

I think you make a very reasonable point here, and I would never claim to have any empirical evidence or logical argument that could invalidate your point.

Here's a little more about where I'm coming from: I've heard and owned many systems and speakers where I was happy with the sound but also clearly aware that there was room for improvement. I enjoyed my old B&W 705s a lot, day in and day out, for more than a decade. But I was always aware of their limitations and shortcomings, and they were never candidates for being the last speakers I'd ever own.

I've also heard setups and speakers whose perceived sound quality was just fantastic and did not seem deficient in any way. I was - and am - still very much aware of their individual characteristics. But for me their performance level is sufficiently high that their differences from other, similarly high-performing speakers strike me as questions of preference rather than quality per se. To put it simply, at a certain level of performance I feel like all the speakers are good enough and what matters is if their particular presentation is in a range of presentation styles/types that will continue to make you happy day after day in the long term. And that's not something one can necessarily predict or discern in shorter-term listening comparisons or home auditions, even something like a 10-day or 2-week audition.

So for example, I am fully aware that my Genelecs do not produce "envelopment," at least not with the combination of my current listening distance and my preferred/tolerable listening volume level. Sometimes I think it would be cool to be able to have that - but the key for me is that I've listened to, and in one case owned, speakers that produce a taller soundstage and more of a sense of envelopment than the Genelecs. And it was really cool - for a little while. Then I got tired of having to look up all the time to feel like I was looking at the singer, and I got tired of the cinematic drama of the envelopment. For long-term listening day-in and day-out, I enjoy a soundstage that seems large, expansive, and precise, but also makes me feel like the performance is right in front of me at a roughly 1-1 human scale, not all around me and/or gigantic. To put it another way, I've discovered over the years that I like a more intimate sound, almost like a studio monitoring sound but in a somewhat larger, relaxed hi-fi residential setting. (And now that I think about it, that's precisely what I've ended up with, with professional studio monitors in my residential listening room.)

Maybe the cardioid bass dispersion of Dutch and Dutch 8c's would sound a little better to me in some way I'm not currently aware of. Maybe adding 2x Genelec subs to the system, or replacing the Genelecs with large floorstanders or a different brand of stand-mounts plus an affordable but good-quality sub would add an extra layer of heft to the bass. You are right that I will never know unless I try it.

But at least for now, I simply don't care, because when I listen to recordings with low bass/heavy bass with the Genelecs my most common reaction is either to smile or to think, "holy moly" - nothing feels missing or deficient, nothing feels "bumpy" or "off." I feel the bass when the recording contains that information; I get the feeling of a quick impact of a kick drum or whatever when the recording has that; I am not aware of noticeable resonances or standing waves, or of any volume swells or dips as sounds move up and down the scale of bass frequencies; and so on. In fact, as I'm typing this and thinking of examples, I find myself smiling. That tells me that the bass is good enough for me.

Bottom line, I have no trouble believing that those other speakers could sound noticeably different. But I do not believe that would necessarily translate into a clear "better" or "worse" for me. I suspect I would really enjoy 8c's, and possibly LS60s (though I'm less confident that LS60s would make me as happy as the Genelecs do). Put another way, I know there are presentations produced by truly excellent speakers that are just not for me. But conversely, I also believe that there is no single one speaker system that is the best for me. There might be only a small range of systems, perhaps - but not just one that is the sublime object.

Maybe in the future I will feel a gradually growing discontentment with some aspect of their performance. Maybe I will start to get more and more curious about whether an upgrade to 8361a's might give me more envelopment while retaining the intimate studio-monitor precision I love so much about the 8351b's. Maybe I will say what the heck and order a pair of 8c's or LS60s to try them out, and either return them if I don't like them, or resell them or the 8351's at a small enough loss that it will have been worth the net cost to run that experiment. I fully acknowledge that this is possible - especially if a few years from now those brands have upgraded versions of those models that measure even better than the current versions.

As of now, though, I'm nearly 8 months into the Genelecs, which I think counts as long-term, and I'm still just as wowed by them as when I first got them.

Life is short, and one thing I'm pretty confident about is that I doubt I'll ever go back to passives, not only because of the issues with the crossover network but even moreso because of the sheer simplicity of using an active with built-in DSP. And I would be very surprised if I ever got another speaker whose main mid and tweeter drivers were not coaxial - the Genelecs have made me a believer in that. So that also narrows down the other speakers I might eventually consider if I do grow tired or discontented with what I have now.

Last edited:

egellings

Major Contributor
I have spent the better part of this week trying to understand shopping for speakers. I come from a home theater background and there accuracy is less important...I think. Here measurements trump everything. Why would I need to even listen to a pair of speakers if they measure flat? All other variables equal, would they not sound the same?
Maybe the way they disperse the sound in the room could cause differences in sonic characteristics of identically flat-response speakers.

tmtomh

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Maybe the way they disperse the sound in the room could cause differences in sonic characteristics of identically flat-response speakers.

Absolutely! I think that's why some of the prior comments in this thread have emphasized that a full suite of measurements has to be done and considered when trying to discern how similar or difference speakers are likely to sound.

allmanfan

other than Bass response, soundstage, treble,midrage etc there is no difference between speakers and all we need is measurements to make our decisions...in fact it is a waste to go listen to different speakers

egellings

Major Contributor
other than Bass response, soundstage, treble,midrage etc there is no difference between speakers and all we need is measurements to make our decisions...in fact it is a waste to go listen to different speakers
That's true if we can listen to the speaker in the same room in which it was measured. Change the room; change the perceived sound. It's a set of speaker drivers in a box in a larger box.

Anton D

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Maybe in the future I will feel a gradually growing discontentment with some aspect of their performance. Maybe I will start to get more and more curious about whether an upgrade to 8361a's might give me more envelopment while retaining the intimate studio-monitor precision I love so much about the 8351b's. Maybe I will say what the heck and order a pair of 8c's or LS60s to try them out, and either return them if I don't like them, or resell them or the 8351's at a small enough loss that it will have been worth the net cost to run that experiment. I fully acknowledge that this is possible - especially if a few years from now those brands have upgraded versions of those models that measure even better than the current versions.
You are a human, so it will happen.

Audio ennui can set in, and we get the urge to change. Sometimes only for the sake of change.

I admit to getting audio wanderlust from time to time!

Cheers, man!

holdingpants01

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Maybe in the future I will feel a gradually growing discontentment with some aspect of their performance. Maybe I will start to get more and more curious about whether an upgrade to 8361a's might give me more envelopment while retaining the intimate studio-monitor precision I love so much about the 8351b's.
You really should demo W371A somewhere, deeper cardioid than almost any other system, incredible headroom, bass and midbass authority is really something else

rynberg

Forum Donor
I'll post a follow-up to my original thoughts:

With a proper budget and experience identifying which parameters are truly important to you, I think it is not at all crazy to purchase based purely off well conducted and thorough measurements. However:

(1) if your budget is at a price point where a significant compromise or two must be made, then clearly actually auditioning the different options is probably needed for one to decide which compromises are the most livable. Luckily, speakers on the lower end of budget tend to be bookshelves and/or are more easily auditioned and returned for modest money (Crutchfield's policies, for example).
(2) if you aren't experienced enough to fully understand which parameters are more important to you, then auditioning is needed to educate yourself. Before I ended up purchasing my Revel Performa3s a few years ago, I auditioned four different well-measuring options for comparison. It was very educational and now I feel I could make future purchases based on measurements alone, if that were my only option.

MKR

Major Contributor
You really should demo W371A somewhere, deeper cardioid than almost any other system, incredible headroom, bass and midbass authority is really something else
Exactly how "deep" would that cardioid be? Tried to find this info and was not able to locate

staticV3

Master Contributor
Exactly how "deep" would that cardioid be? Tried to find this info and was not able to locate
cardioid down to about 60Hz:
Screenshot_2020-03-06_at_14.53.41.png Screenshot_2020-03-06_at_14.55.10.png

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Sure! Most of what I'd say in that regard I wrote a month or two ago in the 8351b review thread discussion:

So what I really love about the 8351b's sound is that they are so tight, precise, and neutral:

- The soundstage imaging is incredibly precise and it kind of feels "taut," as in, so tight and precise that I have a hard time imagining how it could feel any more so than it does. I was always impressed and pleased by how good the imaging of my 705s was; but the Genelecs are on a whole other level in my experience.

- Many recordings that I'm very familiar with now have an impactful kick-drum impact around the typical 50Hz kick-drum frequency, which the 705s never had and which the Kappas were fully capable of reproducing but to my ears surprisingly inconsistent in actually delivering. When they were good, the Kappas were very good indeed and could move a tremendous amount of air from those bass drivers. But it's only with the Genelecs that I occasionally am startled because I think I'm hearing a low-frequency sound from something nearby in the real world, but then I realize it's some deep bass notes in the recording, which I'd never heard before with any other setup.

- Conversely, there are resonant/lingering bass notes in many recordings that I had grown so used to that I hardly even noticed them, and those standing waves are now missing with the Genelecs - in other words the perceived decay time of bass notes is much more uniform across the various bass frequencies that a particular song or album might cover. (The Kappas were very good in this regard as well. The 705s, in retrospect, were not.)

- And for the first time with any system I've owned, there are recordings where I get a very clear perception of sounds coming from well outside, and in some cases outside and behind, one or both of the speakers. (Even with the Kappas I found the edges of the soundstage width seemed to cling stubbornly to the outside edges of the speakers at best. They did have nice soundstage depth though.) If the "behind the speakers and off to the side" sound is sustained in a song - like if it comes from an instrument in the mix and is not just a momentary sound effect or something - I know rationally that it's just that the instrument is panned hard to one side, lower in volume than other parts of the mix, and perhaps treated with some reverb - but the illusion remains quite convincing despite that knowledge.

Finally - and this might sound weird - the aspect that gives me the most confidence that the above four characteristics are actual manifestations of the speakers' design and measured performance is that these perceptions do not occur with all recordings and don't sound the same with all recordings. There are subtle timbral differences between singers (or sometimes between the same singer recorded on two different albums) that I never noticed before. I often get a very strong feeling that I can hear the frequency response and/or distortion characteristics of the microphone used to capture the vocals on a recording, because vocals on other recordings sound cleaner or have a different tonal balance. (Even if I can't "hear in to the mic," the point is that these subtle differences in vocal sound quality jump out at me far beyond what they ever did before.) And that wider-than-the-speakers effect is not the default soundstage width - it's something that I experience only with some recordings, because of course only some recordings contain the sonic cues to produce that perception.

So from the emergence of these kinds of differences among various recordings, which I never heard or really noticed before, I conclude that the precision and detail of the Genelecs - in a word, their fidelity - represents a significant improvement upon my past setups.

Terrific! Thanks! That gives me a really good impression of how your preference evolved. It sounds like you've had one of those hoped-for-audiophile experiences of buying a speaker that is, for the most part, across the board better than your previous speakers. Sound like keepers.

I can't say I've had that experience, at least to that degree. The closest would probably be the Thiel 3.7 speakers I owned which just seemed to have strength in every single category from astounding imaging, clarity, dynamics, image focus and density, truthful timbre. They were just too big aesthetically and ergonomically for my room so I had to replace them, but during a huge "listen to everything out there" search I just couldn't find anything truly better. I'd say a made a sideways move to my Joseph speakers, which are a far better size fit for my room.

Speaking of which, I know what you mean in being excited by hearing a drum kick impact sounding more convincing. Long ago I reviewed some Waveform Mach Solo speakers, the manufacturer was all about dynamics and impact, and I'll never forget hearing kick drums actually have a similar room feel as a real kick drum - that sharp "bap" of the head on the bass drum with the lower end "push" of air/low frequencies in to the room. I'm getting some of that with my Joseph speakers, more than most I've owned, but not quite to the Waveform degree. But it's actually one of my "must have" ingredients. I want room feel, to feel the kick drum and bass, rather than a too buttoned down "audiophile bass" which just places kick drums and bass in a distant sound field, to be observed but not felt.

To put it another way, I've discovered over the years that I like a more intimate sound, almost like a studio monitoring sound but in a somewhat larger, relaxed hi-fi residential setting. (And now that I think about it, that's precisely what I've ended up with, with professional studio monitors in my residential listening room.)

Though that's not ultimately my preference I still know just what you mean. I've set up my system for size and envelopment. But I hear plenty of speakers that do a more precise, controlled, monitor like presentation as you describe and I always appreciate it. There is something relaxing and satisfying about that presentation, where things are really well controlled happening in a nice distance in front of you, and I often get a feeling of a bit more insight in to the exact nature of some recordings.

That said, since my preference is ultimately envelopment I can start to crave that if it's not there. Once I've experienced a sensation on my system of a wide open soundscape for, say, orchestral work, that can almost make me feel like I'm there, it's something I can't give up.

As to settling on a last speaker: I'm fortunate to live in a city that still has quite a number of high end audio stores, so I can hear lots of the talked-about speakers. As well I'm nearby professional audio stores where I can hear the usual list of pro suspects, Genelec, Neumann, Dynaudio, Adam, JBL and on and on. (Though I haven't heard your particular model Genelec yet). Plus I still have friends in the audio review gig, so I am exposed to a constant array of different expensive loudspeakers that way too.

I always expect to hear something that my own system isn't doing as well, or "it would be nice if my system had a little more of THAT." And yet, despite hearing all these other systems, I have yet to hear one I'd actually want to replace my own. Every time without fail when I come home and spin the same tracks on mine it's like "oooh my God, this is soooo much more of what I like!" So I just know for me there's no perfect speaker, and I enjoy what I have.

Cheers and congrats on your happy days with the Genelecs!

Top Bottom