• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

IEMs are more tonality reliable than headphones' out there in the wild?

Phorize

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
OK, so the framing of the question is somewhat clickbaity :)

More seriously though, I've been reflecting on this whilst listening on a pair of Truthear Zeros.These are tuned very close to the Harman iem target, the tonality of which I really like. I also like the fact that the tonality doesn't change if I put my glasses on, and whilst I can't measure it, I can easily adjust the seal to 'tune' the occlusion to feel neutral. Contrast my AKG 371s, the tonality of which I enjoy, but in the knowledge that a) pinna effect will add a random variable to the tonality I experience (which can admittedly be eq'd out, and b) if I put my glasses on I can kiss goodbye to any Harman curve compliance that my pinna had seen fit to tolerate.

So I suppose I end up somewhere along the lines of 'all other things being equal, IEMs are subject to less variables that can piss on one's tonal parade than headphones'. Obviously not quite the hypothesis in the post title, but as Rear Admiral Grace Hopper said it's easier to seek forgiveness than permission.

Am I missing something?

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
That's basically true IME as well.

Lack of pinna influence means that they sound much more similar to each other than circumaural headphones when EQed based on a generic measurement rig.

OTOH, the lack of pinna influence pretty much kills the soundstage (i.e. external localization of phantom images) compared to circumaurals.

Overall, IEMs have the advantage in consistant tonality while circumaurals have the advantage in spatial presentation.

Soandso

I also like the fact that the tonality doesn't change if I put my glasses on, and whilst I can't measure it, I can easily adjust the seal to 'tune' the occlusion to feel neutral.

So I suppose I end up somewhere along the lines of 'all other things being equal, IEMs are subject to less variables that can piss on one's tonal parade than headphones'.
As a fellow eyeglasses wearer my impression is your comparison between headphones and iems has to take into account the variable of how headphones fit the ears and their ear cup pads. I have some around the ear headphones with assorted shaped pads made from foam, pleather and supple leather ones I made myself. After putting the leather padded headphones on I bilaterally press the ear cups inward making them fully contour to the eyeglass armature/skull and find that the leather retains that seal very well . (If I reflexively push back on my slipping forward eyeglasses' bridge then, whether actually needed or not, I usually press both the leather ear cups against my head again assuring occlusion.)

Jimster480

Major Contributor
I would agree that I am can have a more reproducible and cleaner sound if you have the right type of fitment.
However my wife can't wear IEMs usually as they fall out of her ears even with big tips. Her ears are very soft and they don't hold onto the iems. I've gotten her a pair of IEMs now that have a large clip sort of thing that pushes on all parts of her ears.
As such they don't fall out, but the seal does vary.

For me; IEMs cause additional earwax to build up quickly and as such I have to take them out frequently. I do have glasses but prefer contacts so I know what you mean about headphone seals with glasses.
Soundstage on IEMs is never too great, however my friend brought by a pair of IEMs with a Bone conduction driver in it (I can get the name for you) and this has both sound stage and clarity / reproduction with glasses on.
They are quite pricey though, I think over 2k... Just food for thought.

Curvature

Major Contributor
One main variability is in HF which depends on the distance from the mouth/exit to the eardrum, unfortunately. The deep insert IEMs by Etymotic are the only ones that have address this aspect.

The other main issue is fit, which has already been mentioned.

maverickronin

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
One main variability is in HF which depends on the distance from the mouth/exit to the eardrum, unfortunately. The deep insert IEMs by Etymotic are the only ones that have address this aspect

I forgot to mention that part. :facepalm:

It's a shame that fixing that problem make Ety's so uncomfortable.

Curvature

Major Contributor
I forgot to mention that part. :facepalm:

It's a shame that fixing that problem make Ety's so uncomfortable.
I like Comply foam tips for mine.

FWIW, the problem is not fixed given that you have to put the source less than 2mm from the eardrum to eliminate cancellation issues within the audible range if I remember right. Maybe someone else can opine here with the correct numbers. I don't believe there is any tech that can compensate reliably, although many don't hear that high and humans have terrible pitch discrimination in that range anyway.

Top Bottom