• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I wanna a better IEM?

m490059397

Hello guys,

Now I gotta 7hz Dioko, in that fact I like Dioko's sound But I just wanna try a better one?

I've been tried Xenns Top, Its great I think its better but I dont really like the BASS, makes my ears tired

Do you guys have other ideas?

Attachments

• IMG_20230211_163526.jpg
    IMG_20230211_163526.jpg
    316.1 KB · Views: 99

Keith_W

Major Contributor
All IEM's need to be EQ'ed to your preference. I asked Sean Olive what the best approach was, and this is a quick summary of the discussion:

- Measurement setups vary, and the most variance occurs < 300Hz and > 3kHz by up to 30dB (!!!)
- Compliance to the Harman curve is therefore most important between 300 - 3000Hz.
- Even then, the measured freq response of the IEM may not be the same as in your ear due to variance between ear canals, seal, insertion depth, and so on.
- Therefore the best approach is to find an IEM that complies to the Harman curve as much as possible, ensure a good seal, and subjectively tweak EQ to your preference.

So, before you buy another IEM, I would suggest you try EQ to see if it tames the bass to make it less tiring.

OP
M

m490059397

All IEM's need to be EQ'ed to your preference. I asked Sean Olive what the best approach was, and this is a quick summary of the discussion:

- Measurement setups vary, and the most variance occurs < 300Hz and > 3kHz by up to 30dB (!!!)
- Compliance to the Harman curve is therefore most important between 300 - 3000Hz.
- Even then, the measured freq response of the IEM may not be the same as in your ear due to variance between ear canals, seal, insertion depth, and so on.
- Therefore the best approach is to find an IEM that complies to the Harman curve as much as possible, ensure a good seal, and subjectively tweak EQ to your preference.

So, before you buy another IEM, I would suggest you try EQ to see if it tames the bass to make it less tiring.
https://github.com/jaakkopasanen/AutoEq/blob/master/results/RANKING.md
IEM that complies to the Harman? Shold I refer this link?

JaMaSt

Forum Donor
Now I gotta 7hz Dioko, in that fact I like Dioko's sound But I just wanna try a better one?
Before buying a different IEM, buy some inexpensive tips of different sizes, makes and manufacturers and learn how they impact the sound. In general, tips with narrow bore/openings decrease treble and give the impression that bass is increased (you actually will turn up the volume since treble is not so annoying, and this is what gives the "impression" of increased bass). Tips with wider bore/openings tend to do the opposite.

Fit depth and seal is also enormously important when it comes to IEM's. Once you get all the variables right, you may find that you don't need to EQ.

Last edited:

markanini

Major Contributor
First, try the other tips included. They might improve the sound and still give a good fit.
Second, it's good to own at least one set that's tuned to a more general taste, like Truthear Zero. Both the Dioko and Xenns Top have a rather specific tuning, not expected to suit everyone.
1676179882723.png

Last edited:

gallionetech

I just went through the process of finding an IEM. I landed on the Moondrop Blessing 2 x Crinacle : Dusks. They are tuned close to Harman & are in a nice price to performance bracket. I also own the 64Audio u12t but wouldn’t recommend them for the price.

Last edited:

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Don't man. That's how you get hooked up. You buy a cheap IEM, you like it, it sounds much better than the ****** one you got with the phone, and it is much more convenient than a headphone. You take it with you when you are going out, you enjoy listening to music with it. You watch a few more reviews and buy another a little less cheap one. This one sounds even better. You are content with it for a while but than YouTube recommends another review video, Best IEMs at every price point. You see your new IEM there, but the reviewer says this other one is sooo great, sooo much better, infact, he says, it is best he has ever seen under $300. You think to yourself, I am not gonna pay more than $300 for an IEM, I might as well get this one. And before you know it, you are scrolling through 64Audio website.

Happened to a friend of mine.

OP
M

m490059397

Don't man. That's how you get hooked up. You buy a cheap IEM, you like it, it sounds much better than the ****** one you got with the phone, and it is much more convenient than a headphone. You take it with you when you are going out, you enjoy listening to music with it. You watch a few more reviews and buy another a little less cheap one. This one sounds even better. You are content with it for a while but than YouTube recommends another review video, Best IEMs at every price point. You see your new IEM there, but the reviewer says this other one is sooo great, sooo much better, infact, he says, it is best he has ever seen under $300. You think to yourself, I am not gonna pay more than $300 for an IEM, I might as well get this one. And before you know it, you are scrolling through 64Audio website.

god damn, its really a big truth. but maybe its my only one hobby:oops:

markanini

Major Contributor

It's fascinating to me how all the marketing works. From the "community" internalizing commercial interests, to how Youtube incidentally boosts commercial narratives by virtue of being an ad platform. I'm glad there's at least objective performance you can learn about before making a purchase. This has made me a little more frugal with audio purchases, but since then I've also found other hobbies to empty my wallet...

asrUser

but the reviewer says this other one is sooo great, sooo much better, infact, he says, it is best he has ever seen under $300. You think to yourself, I am not gonna pay more than $300 for an IEM, I might as well get this one. And before you know it, you are scrolling through 64Audio website.

If people watch too many shilling youtube reviews then of course that happens. I don't care about them and only own a couple of mid-fi IEMs. Being happy with them.

@m490059397 It seems you want to hear other sound signatures. There's no need to only search Harman target IEMs. Other targets are also good. You could try Truthear HEXA for example which competes pretty well vs. Blessing 2.

OP
M

m490059397

If people watch too many shilling youtube reviews then of course that happens. I don't care about them and only own a couple of mid-fi IEMs. Being happy with them.

@m490059397 It seems you want to hear other sound signatures. There's no need to only search Harman target IEMs. Other targets are also good. You could try Truthear HEXA for example which competes pretty well vs. Blessing 2.
Thanks for your tip! I turly have no idea. I like Dioko's sound but i wanna seeking an upgrade one? Xenns Top sounds too BASS. And I looked EJ07M but I heard EJ07M listening vocal will be “thin”

I listening pop music basically BTW..

perhaps I just wanna find a IEM under 700$ with listening popular music. XD

OP
M

m490059397

Softears RSV looks nice in graph. Less bass than Xenns Top;MIDS looks won't be thin and treble is on the line
graph.png

gallionetech

I mean I can say that this is exactly what happened to me lol. However I really enjoy my dusks & u12t. I’d never in a million years recommend spending the 2k on the u12t. I got them for $1400, which is still IMO not worth it.

When I went through this process, I purchased the Truthear x Crinacle Zeros. I was blown away on how well they performed for the money. If your not looking to spend much, buy those & ditch the itch to upgrade. You’ll enjoy them. If you want to spend a bit more, get the Dusks. There are other more expensive options - however I haven’t seen any from my research that are objectively performant enough to warrant the price tag.

asrUser

Moondrop Variations should be pretty good.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I mean I can say that this is exactly what happened to me lol.
So you are the friend I was talking about! :)

I think this happens to a lot of people.It is helpful to think sometimes am I the customer or the product when watching reviews online.

Top Bottom