• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I switched to miniDSP SHD

GaryY

Forum Donor
That was sudden decision that I switched to miniSHD.
I feel Bass control is quite easier, but I'm really missing builtin streaming app in Eversolo.
I don't feel comfortable with Volumio. Tidal connect is possible but it's not as stable as Spotify in 3 days experience, so I changed streaming service to spotify though I like Tidal interface more.

Measurement is done without extra EQ, I only used automatic correction parameter.
Crossover : 120Hz, I tried 60 or 80Hz, but couldn't fill out 100~130Hz null with lower cross over.
Delay of Main : 9.2ms, In internet, I saw Arendal sub has 8ms delay. I added 1.8ms to compesate distance as well.

What I don't understand is better distortion and it's not sure because of active USB cable from PC to miniDSP. This cabel is quite long, 4.5m. I can check later if passive/active usb cable can make difference.

Measurement of LR on 17.Feb was with Eversolo for comparison. I really appreciate any advice.
I'm missing really display as well. eversolo streaming + the rest from SHD could have been perfect for me.

Thanks!

1709147077830.png

1709147224004.png

1709147248604.png

Attachments

• 240217_XR_LR_ver2.zip
    573.5 KB · Views: 22
  • 20240228_R_CO_120Hz.zip
    1.7 MB · Views: 26

MAB

Major Contributor
That was sudden decision that I switched to miniSHD.
I feel Bass control is quite easier, but I'm really missing builtin streaming app in Eversolo.
I don't feel comfortable with Volumio. Tidal connect is possible but it's not as stable as Spotify in 3 days experience, so I changed streaming service to spotify though I like Tidal interface more.

Measurement is done without extra EQ, I only used automatic correction parameter.
Crossover : 120Hz, I tried 60 or 80Hz, but couldn't fill out 100~130Hz null with lower cross over.
Delay of Main : 9.2ms, In internet, I saw Arendal sub has 8ms delay. I added 1.8ms to compesate distance as well.

What I don't understand is better distortion and it's not sure because of active USB cable from PC to miniDSP. This cabel is quite long, 4.5m. I can check later if passive/active usb cable can make difference.

Measurement of LR on 17.Feb was with Eversolo for comparison. I really appreciate any advice.
I'm missing really display as well. eversolo streaming + the rest from SHD could have been perfect for me.

Thanks!

View attachment 353003
View attachment 353004
View attachment 353005
Regarding the Eversolo functionality... Your Eversolo has digital output, right? Use the digital output to feed the MiniDSP. You get the streaming interface you enjoy, cobined with the DSP functionality of the MiniDSP.

Regarding distortion, I'm not sure I follow what you are saying about USB.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Regarding the Eversolo functionality... Your Eversolo has digital output, right? Use the digital output to feed the MiniDSP. You get the streaming interface you enjoy, cobined with the DSP functionality of the MiniDSP.

Regarding distortion, I'm not sure I follow what you are saying about USB.
Thanks for comment, but unfortunately it was too much to keep DMP-A8 and buy SHD in addition. I sold eversolo. Now it's ok to me only with SHD. I have been getting familiar with it though streaming is not as convenient as A8.
Regarding distrotion, i found nothing is wrong with SHD. It was matter of SPL rate and distortion is as good as with eversolo when I measure with higher target dB.

Reactions: MAB

MAB

Major Contributor
Thanks for comment, but unfortunately it was too much to keep DMP-A8 and buy SHD in addition. I sold eversolo. Now it's ok to me only with SHD. I have been getting familiar with it though streaming is not as convenient as A8.
Regarding distrotion, i found nothing is wrong with SHD. It was matter of SPL rate and distortion is as good as with eversolo when I measure with higher target dB.
Got it.
I also don’t care for Volumio.
Perhaps an inexpensive device like a WiiM?
I got one for my daughter and she is using it to stream, I think she uses Tidal. Perhaps an ASR member who has more experience can chime in.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Got it.
I got one for my daughter and she is using it to stream, I think she uses Tidal. Perhaps an ASR member who has more experience can chime in.
yeah.,,sometime I also think maybe wiim pro plus might be an option to add, but not decided yet. Thanks.

gwing

Forum Donor
Got it.
I'm doing exactly that, listening to Tidal on Wiim Pro Plus, at this very moment :)

Strictly speaking I don't think Tidal connect is actually streaming to the Wiim. I prefer the Tidal app on PC as a control interface but can also drive it from phone app or from the TV/Firestick, however the music isn't actually streamed from PC/Phone/TV but is instead streamed direct by the Wiim i.e. I can actually power off the PC and have the playlist/selection keep going.

It works very well. You could try a simple Wiim Mini as streamer if Volumio hasn't proved stable enough for you and you want Tidal.

MAB

Major Contributor
yeah.,,sometime I also think maybe wiim pro plus might be an option to add, but not decided yet. Thanks.
Even the WiiM mini should be great.
The added features of Pro models are not used if you are just using for the steaming capabilities.

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
I'm doing exactly that, listening to Tidal on Wiim Pro Plus, at this very moment :)

Strictly speaking I don't think Tidal connect is actually streaming to the Wiim. I prefer the Tidal app on PC as a control interface but can also drive it from phone app or from the TV/Firestick, however the music isn't actually streamed from PC/Phone/TV but is instead streamed direct by the Wiim i.e. I can actually power off the PC and have the playlist/selection keep going.

It works very well. You could try a simple Wiim Mini as streamer if Volumio hasn't proved stable enough for you and you want Tidal.
Thanks for comment. Are you using coaxial or optical port between wiim nad minidsp?

OP
GaryY

GaryY

Forum Donor
Even the WiiM mini should be great.
The added features of Pro models are not used if you are just using for the steaming capabilities.
Yes, you are right and mini looks less than half price of wiim pro plus....Thanks!

Top Bottom