• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I seek a Class A amp or amps capable of >=75 WPC, can this community recommend something?

SoaDMTGguy

I understand that I am making this more complicated than I need to by asking for Class A. My reasons are my own, and you may call me a fool if you want. if I wanted A/B or D, I would be spoiled for choice, and wouldn’t need to make this post.

I’m happy to go for a pair of mono or bridged amps, indeed I suspect I will have to. However, I’ve had a hard time actually finding any. I would love to get a pair of Aegirs, but as Amir found, they simply lack the punch they claim. I was hoping the Tyr would be Class A, but alas. I’m happy to go used to get a deal.

I realize asking here is a long shot, but I figured it doesn’t hurt to try (unless it does, in which case I bare no ill will on the mod who deletes this post).

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor

OP
S

SoaDMTGguy

Jesus, and that's stereo, too? Those are some *serious* power figures!

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I chose class A for my horns to avoid crossover distortion. But these days class D achieves that a lot easier and vastly cheaper.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Krell KSA100 will give a bit more than 100 watts into 8 ohm and are reasonably affordable on the used market. Two grand or so.

Fan cooled though. They're not noisy but you can hear a faint 'woosh' during quiet passages and silence. At least you can with the one I have.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
How does Class D achieve that when A/B can't? Unless I'm misunderstanding what you're saying.
You're misunderstanding how class D works. The output transistors are constantly switching. At 0V output they each are On about 50% of the time, and vary away from there to get other output voltages. So, there is nothing special about 0V, and no crossover distortion.

OP
S

SoaDMTGguy

Krell KSA100 will give a bit more than 100 watts into 8 ohm and are reasonably affordable on the used market. Two grand or so.

Fan cooled though. They're not noisy but you can hear a faint 'woosh' during quiet passages and silence. At least you can with the one I have.
I once had an ARC amp with a pair of fans, which worried me, but they were silent in operation. So, I'm less opposed to active cooling than I once was. Maybe could de-volt it slightly if it's a problem?

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I once had an ARC amp with a pair of fans, which worried me, but they were silent in operation. So, I'm less opposed to active cooling than I once was. Maybe could de-volt it slightly if it's a problem?
It's not my daily driver and doesn't get used much. Possible that some work on the fans might make them quieter, but when I say it is a slight whoosh I mean it. If you have aircon it's a bit like that only at a lower level. I live in a quiet area and have double glazing so background noise is very low in my room.

Anyway one possibility to consider. You can weld with it too, I read that they actually did that at a show in the 1980s.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Mark Levinson (the version of the company that was helmed by Mark Levinson) had some very powerful Class A solid state amplifiers (EDIT: actually, it looks like more of them date to the next era, when Madrigal owned the brand and Mark Levinson''s name*). They sound pretty good, too.
They make excellent room heaters, as well.

Last edited:

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Uh oh, mhardy is here. He may suggest push-pull triodes in class A :D

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Not asked yet: what do you expect to pay?

OP
S

SoaDMTGguy

Mark Levinson (the version of the company that was helmed by Mark Levinson) had some very powerful Class A solid state amplifiers. They sound pretty good, too.
They make excellent room heaters, as well.
What era would that be? I'm a newbie newb who does't know such things XD

Not asked yet: what do you expect to pay?
I can't really go over $2,000, which is why I'm looking at used. I know there are many exotic Class A implementations that cost more than my car, but if that's all there is, I'll have to find another way.

fpitas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I can't really go over $2,000, which is why I'm looking at used. I know there are many exotic Class A implementations that cost more than my car, but if that's all there is, I'll have to find another way.
At anywhere near 75W, I think it will be expensive. My lowly demonstrator J2 cost $2,600.

pierre

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I understand that I am making this more complicated than I need to by asking for Class A. My reasons are my own, and you may call me a fool if you want. if I wanted A/B or D, I would be spoiled for choice, and wouldn’t need to make this post.

I’m happy to go for a pair of mono or bridged amps, indeed I suspect I will have to. However, I’ve had a hard time actually finding any. I would love to get a pair of Aegirs, but as Amir found, they simply lack the punch they claim. I was hoping the Tyr would be Class A, but alas. I’m happy to go used to get a deal.

I realize asking here is a long shot, but I figured it doesn’t hurt to try (unless it does, in which case I bare no ill will on the mod who deletes this post).
Try Accuphase, expensive, measure well. They have amp of any size.
https://www.accuphase.com/model/a-300.html

1689877368764.png

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
I added a link in the earlier post to an ML history (provided by some company I've never heard of, with a "co.za" URL and no location information given).

Try Accuphase, expensive, measure well. They have amp of any size.
https://www.accuphase.com/model/p-7500.html
Very good stuff -- but I don't think they "do" any Class A, do they?
EDIT: Yes. Yes they do "do" Class A.

For the OP's benefit. Any moderate to high power Class A amplification, new or used, will be expensive.

radix

Major Contributor
Luxman had some pure class-A, the M-600a and M-800a, maybe others?

Top Bottom