• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

I Need To Find A Cheap DAC

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Today, I gave my late wife’s stereo receiver and cd changer to my daughter. The receiver is a Marantz stereo receiver from the early 2010s, works perfectly, no digital inputs. She has a TV with no analog sound outputs, just a solitary Toslink outlet. So I now need a small cheap DAC to convert her Toslink to a usable analog signal. I want it as simple as possible, no volume control, just a simple box. Any suggestions ??

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Thank you, I looked on Amazon and saw nothing under $65, her cable service supports Spotify. So she would like to send the audio from the TV to the stereo. Again thank you, I’ll get it on order.

Roland68

Major Contributor
Today, I gave my late wife’s stereo receiver and cd changer to my daughter. The receiver is a Marantz stereo receiver from the early 2010s, works perfectly, no digital inputs. She has a TV with no analog sound outputs, just a solitary Toslink outlet. So I now need a small cheap DAC to convert her Toslink to a usable analog signal. I want it as simple as possible, no volume control, just a simple box. Any suggestions ??
Amazon, Aliexpress, Ebay etc. simply have DACs that convert Toslink to RCA. Costs about $10-$40.

Matias

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

DonR

Major Contributor
Thank you, I looked on Amazon and saw nothing under $65, her cable service supports Spotify. So she would like to send the audio from the TV to the stereo. Again thank you, I’ll get it on order.
Here is a review of the AmazonBasics one which is the same DAC really. https://www.audiosciencereview.com/.../amazon-basics-optical-coax-dac-review.30339/

Not recommended and has a few issues but should be perfectly fine for the non-audiophile (i.e. 99% of people).

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
Exactly, the daughter is looking for sound from the tv through the stereo, anything above 2 soup cans and a taut string quality, should be more than adequate for her purposes.

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
That sounds a bit perplexing to me.

Anyway, I’d consider the S.M.S.L SU-1.
Whats perplexing ?? A tv with a set of RCA (dvd), 2 HDMI and a 75 ohm cable inputs, the only output is a single Toslink output for the remote audio signal

the $20 unit (with shipping) should work for her needs

Last edited:

DonR

Major Contributor
My son's Samsung has no analogue audio out in either RCA or headphone form. It seems to be becoming quite common. Good way to upsell to an eARC capable soundbar, I think.

Golf

A tv with a set of RCA (dvd), 2 HDMI and a 75 ohm cable inputs, the only output is a single Toslink output for the remote audio signal

OK – seems I’m not up to date. My TV set is about 10 years old :)

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
OK – seems I’m not up to date. My TV set is about 10 years old :)
Yep, no issues, it make no sense, but as DonR said probably to get you to do their upgrade at a future date

daughter is an iPod/iPhone user, through a speaker that looks like a mesh tube, the old stereo will do her fine.

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
Yep, no issues, it make no sense, but as DonR said probably to get you to do their upgrade at a future date

daughter is an iPod/iPhone user, through a speaker that looks like a mesh tube, the old stereo will do her fine.
A mesh tube?!?

1705491174947.jpeg

;)

OP
Platypus20

Platypus20

Forum Donor
I went to the daughters house, installed the optical cable, DAC and interconnects, worked perfectly, there is now TV audio, going to the Marantz receiver, the daughter is thrilled

Top Bottom