• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

So basically only surround receiver can decode surround

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
AVR front Pre-out RCA to two of the line-ins (RCA to TRS cable). Then the Genelec where it is now. Next you’ll need to figure out how to loop the input to the output: the mixer software should be able to do that. Delay should be plenty low.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
What you are trying to do is not worth the effort in my opinion. Just get a AV receiver.
Maybe the genelecs with that audio interface where not the best option for Home-Entertainment.

You can buy a Dolby Atmos encoder/decoder software for pc/Mac but the license is like 400$ a year.

You could rip your movies and decode the DTS and TrueHD etc all to pcm...

I wouldn't bother with all this for movies.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
what do you actually want to achieve? if you watch a 5.1 movie on a PC the software will decode it and send 6 channels to your Motu.
If you want to feed a 5.1 signal via digital, you need a decoder.

voodooless

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
Another option: just hook the Motu to one of the AVR analog inputs. All Genelecs to the pre-outs.

dasdoing

Major Contributor
So basically is impossible to have true surround for music, movies, games, consoles, etc unless you buy an AVR

to clarify my post, music, movies, games you play back on your PC conected to your MOTU don't need an AVR. you can manage the channels in soemthing like EQ-APO.
A console outputing digital souround needs an AVR or a decoder

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Why a Mac mini?

I don’t see how the motu mk5 can playback Atmos. It doesn’t say anything about in the manual.

Does an AVR play compressed or uncompressed Atmos?

I just as if not more confused as in the beginning

The avr will play back encoded multich formats (compressed, some lossy, some lossless) with their licensed decoders. Atmos is a special case somewhat, it's a combination of a compression routine, altho lossless, of multich audio as well as object-based metadata an Atmos decoder can handle. LPCM multich audio doesn't require a decoder, but it won't be Atmos.

Snoopy

Major Contributor
A usecase that I see for something like he wants to do is if you want special masters of SACDs, Blurays and 4k blurays with a higher dynamic range or if something is exclusive to physical formats.

Sure just go ahead and rip the disc on a computer and let a software player handle the multichannel pcm streams or let it get downsampled to 2.0 for headphones or whatever..

Roon lets you do downsampling and I believe channel mapping is possible.

And that's all nice for local audio playback but if this is for movie playback where you just want to play a movie, have everything lipsync and "just work" it's kinda nuts do to this instead of just using a AV receiver.

Especially if this is a workaround to make Do with hardware that is not really ideal for this to begin with.

What you need is a AV receiver where you are not going to use the amplifier in there or a AV processor.. but those are usually more expensive than AV receivers...

A 5.1 Genelec system will be expensive and a Atmos system even more so. Where you will still need a AV receiver.

OP
Pancreas

Pancreas

A usecase that I see for something like he wants to do is if you want special masters of SACDs, Blurays and 4k blurays with a higher dynamic range or if something is exclusive to physical formats.

Sure just go ahead and rip the disc on a computer and let a software player handle the multichannel pcm streams or let it get downsampled to 2.0 for headphones or whatever..

Roon lets you do downsampling and I believe channel mapping is possible.

And that's all nice for local audio playback but if this is for movie playback where you just want to play a movie, have everything lipsync and "just work" it's kinda nuts do to this instead of just using a AV receiver.

Especially if this is a workaround to make Do with hardware that is not really ideal for this to begin with.

What you need is a AV receiver where you are not going to use the amplifier in there or a AV processor.. but those are usually more expensive than AV receivers...

A 5.1 Genelec system will be expensive and a Atmos system even more so. Where you will still need a AV receiver.

I get that. I’m just fantasizing I guess lol I already genelec 8030c which I got for $900 cash the pair from a local guy who bought them from sweetwater 3 months before

Buying 3 more of those assuming I pay the regular price would run me $2085 lol

Thats without the subwoofer which I don’t have yet lol

Then a good receiver

So far having the genelec allows me to do several things like use it for guitar movies games music etc so it made sense

Also $900 with no tax for a barely used pair is bargain when they cost $1400. I couldn’t pass up that opportunity

Before Genelec I had a cheap $45 soundbar from Taotronics lol below my computer monitor, so it was a big step up

Last edited:
Top Bottom