• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HTPC for Dirac DLBC and replace AVR

geek101

Forum Donor
Anyone here got this running ?

I am looking for a fan less build, a multi channel DAC. Currently I am looking for 5.2 channel support at minimum.

I want to get rid of my old avr but not interested in AVRs with Dirac DLBC support.

I have have built GPU HTPC and used them before. Looking for 4K output.

Kal Rubinson

Master Contributor
Industry Insider
Forum Donor
Yes. Sure.

OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor
I am quite motivated to build a fan less HTPC, to keep the internals dust free and also everything is silent. I have used Noctua fans before there were quiet but I hate cleaning the inside of the chassis.

Seems like to get 4K @ 120fps video out without fan is going to be a challenge?.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
A M1 Mac mini will do what you want up to 144Hz and they're pretty cheap now. I've upgraded to a M2 for more RAM but in the 2 years I had the M1 the fan never came on. If you don't want the HDMI to handle multichannel then a Okto, Topping DM7 or pro audio Motu or Focusrite combined with JRiver will route it for you along with a few amps.

OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor
A M1 Mac mini will do what you want up to 144Hz and they're pretty cheap now. I've upgraded to a M2 for more RAM but in the 2 years I had the M1 the fan never came on. If you don't want the HDMI to handle multichannel then a Okto, Topping DM7 or pro audio Motu or Focusrite combined with JRiver will route it for you along with a few amps.
So hdmi to TV which is muted and USB audio to multi-channel dac?

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I run a few Intel NUCs (8/10) in the house and one is serving strictly as HTPC hidden inside our A/V entertainment system.
Yes, (my older) NUCs have fans but it's manageable if you have the room to reduce fan noise.
I run it as a 4K feed to a 4K OLED but use the front panel-headphone (3.5mm) output to use the analog/stereo into my pre/Pro.
Although, my pre/Pro does ARC/eARC; I don't like the lip-synch issues, due to additional pre/Pro processing (=delays).
I have found that using at least 16GB of RAM (w/o going external GPU) in the NUC10 has been a satisfying solution for judder-free 4K.
NOTE: I go back to the days of the Patriot Box Office (as HTPC even before the PBO "Core") during the good old days of 1080p being the 'best'.

Sancus

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Ah. That. I think that will change as Atmos gets a grip on the market.
Yeah, but for the time being, if you can't decode Atmos you're locking yourself out of Apple Music and TIDAL multichannel and the former in particular has many thousands of Atmos albums.

Not that it matters much to the OP since they're not interested in multichannel :)

OP
geek101

geek101

Forum Donor
Anyone has mac running DLBC for multi channel?. I do need multi channel for movies but not more than 5.2. Current I only have 3.1 setup anyways but with my 2 channel bass being active section. Can’t see myself get back to beyond 5.2.

I am leaning towards Mac mini m2 and topping DM7.

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I'm currently running a Mele Quieter 3 as my HTPC. I have a 5.1 for Home theater and I also run 2.2 for stereo using DLBC for both setups. It renders Netflix in 4K HDR at its native 24 fps, runs Dirac Live either as a stand alone or as a plug in for JRiver, sends up to 8 channels of LPCM audio to my Octo DAC 8 Pro via USB, and does it without any lipsync issues. Costs around $240 on Amazon, is fanless, dead quiet, and can be controlled with a Logitech wireless keyboard (around $20). It does the job perfectly for cheap. I'm a perfectionist, and I'm happy with it. Just got my LG C1 OLED ISF calibrated yesterday, and I was watching some Youtube videos rendered from the Mele to the LG, and they were absolutely spectacular. I have no quarrel with the job it's doing, and I'm glad I didn't pay more for something like a Nuc or an Apple Mac 1 Mini.

Amazon sells it with an unconditional 30 day, money back right of return. I think it will fit a lot of HTPC use cases.

DWPress

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Humm Dirac website states mac with core i3 or similar which means Mac M2 is no go ? Lol ?

No. Not if you want to output video to 4K. As I mentioned, a M1 with 16GB of RAM will do what you want it to do. Get the M2 if you plan to do other things on the computer as well that need that kind of power but you'll still need to upgrade the RAM and that starts getting expensive for a HTPC.

Marc v E

Major Contributor
I'm currently running a Mele Quieter 3 as my HTPC. I have a 5.1 for Home theater and I also run 2.2 for stereo using DLBC for both setups. It renders Netflix in 4K HDR at its native 24 fps, runs Dirac Live either as a stand alone or as a plug in for JRiver, sends up to 8 channels of LPCM audio to my Octo DAC 8 Pro via USB, and does it without any lipsync issues. Costs around $240 on Amazon, is fanless, dead quiet, and can be controlled with a Logitech wireless keyboard (around $20). It does the job perfectly for cheap. I'm a perfectionist, and I'm happy with it. Just got my LG C1 OLED ISF calibrated yesterday, and I was watching some Youtube videos rendered from the Mele to the LG, and they were absolutely spectacular. I have no quarrel with the job it's doing, and I'm glad I didn't pay more for something like a Nuc or an Apple Mac 1 Mini.

Amazon sells it with an unconditional 30 day, money back right of return. I think it will fit a lot of HTPC use cases.
Interesting. How do you control Jriver; with remote control or just like a pc with keyboard and mouse?

Last edited:
Top Bottom