• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required as is 20 years of participation in forums (not all true). Come here to have fun, be ready to be teased and not take online life too seriously. We now measure and review equipment for free! Click here for details.

How to Support Audio Science Review

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #63
Did the "account upgrade", but seems it didn't automatically add the title.

Thanks!
Much appreciated. The process is not automatic anymore and I did not see your kind donation while at dinner. It is fixed now.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #65
Code/plug-in no longer working?:
No. There is a callback required from paypal to the server to register that payment is made. Last year paypal started to send me warnings that it could not contact the server out of the blue. I think i have figured out the problem but not sure why it occurred. At some point I will reconfigure the system and see if it works again.

MZKM

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
No. There is a callback required from paypal to the server to register that payment is made. Last year paypal started to send me warnings that it could not contact the server out of the blue. I think i have figured out the problem but not sure why it occurred. At some point I will reconfigure the system and see if it works again.
One of the points of the video I posted, an interesting watch if you have time (Tom Scott has a lot of really good videos, from technical things regarding coding all the way down to why the UK still uses 2 faucet for hot/cold water and not a single one with both lines).

Last edited:
OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #67
Yeh, just finished watching it. Great video especially for anyone in software business. I wrote a barbeque temperature monitoring program 10 years ago way before such things were popular. It could post the current status of your cook to twitter. Then Twitter changed to Oath and broke the old API. Took me a lot of effort to re-write the stupid thing to get it work again, required pop up for user to put in PIN, etc.

While I did think a lot of "mash ups" were silly, some aspects were useful this way.

Adam Bernau

Forum Donor
@amirm I also have donated, but my status also was not upgraded :)
It was sent from my colleague account, bank says that the payment is processed.
Keep up the good work! :)

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #69
Added a new option to support the forum with any amount you like: https://paypal.me/AudioScienceReview?locale.x=en_US

I prefer that you go through the forum upgrade option if you can so the system can keep track of it. But if you like to donate a different amount, then feel free to use the above link.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #71
I just upgraded to "extreme supporter," pretty accurate given my ideals.
That's very generous. Thank you so much. I upgraded your title.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #73
How does one make a payment as a supporter from overseas (Australia) without using Paypal?
Paypal takes credit cards. So when you are taken there, just select credit card as a form of payment (no need to login).

Sorry I should have been more precise, can one make a credit card payment without being a Paypal Member? Unfortunately the page insists of address details to progress the payment but options for states and zip codes etc are just for the U.S.A

franspambot

Forum Donor
I'm simply making public the fact that I donated to the site. I think that being loud about donations and keeping this thread visible is the way to maximize patronage. I am deeply appreciative of Amir's tireless work to educate home audio enthusiasts and expose the uninformed, exploitative, and, frankly, disgusting nature of the status quo. (Ah, the "free market.") Viva la revolución.

anmpr1

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I don't know how it works from donations, however Patreon is set to have some... uh... er... 'difficulties' due to shady business practices. I understand they recently lost an arbitration judgement which some speculate might threaten its very existence due to a possible surge of pending claims against the service.

If ASR depends on the Patreon for dollars it might be a good thing to investigate and find out if Patreon's situation could affect revenue flow from donations.

I'm not a legal scholar nor do I play one on TV, so I can't comment on the findings other than pointing it out. Below is a link, but I'm sure there are others that go into detail.

https://reclaimthenet.org/final-ruling-patreon-owen-benjamin-injunction-denied/

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #77
Sorry I should have been more precise, can one make a credit card payment without being a Paypal Member?
Yes. You just don't login if you are a paypal customer. Just pretend you don't have a login and it should let you use a credit card.

Alas, I don't know if you can use non-US credit cards.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
Thread Starter #78
I don't know how it works from donations, however Patreon is set to have some... uh... er... 'difficulties' due to shady business practices. I understand they recently lost an arbitration judgement which some speculate might threaten its very existence due to a possible surge of pending claims against the service.

If ASR depends on the Patreon for dollars it might be a good thing to investigate and find out if Patreon's situation could affect revenue flow from donations.

I'm not a legal scholar nor do I play one on TV, so I can't comment on the findings other than pointing it out. Below is a link, but I'm sure there are others that go into detail.

Wow, that is fascinating. Did not know about that provision of California arbitration clause.

On your concern which is much appreciated :), most of the donations come through forum upgrades or direct donations. People who use Patreon are non members. Still, losing that option will be significant. I will surely have to cut back on good steaks and sushi if it happens....

Jimbob54

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Im not a lawyer either and I get that the ruling opens up Patreon for a shed load of potentially costly arbitration costs. I'd like to know more about the particular "de-platforming" before classing the business practices that led to the arbitration here as "shady". A very simple read of this suggests regardless of why they invoked ToS to de-platform a user, should the backers choose to take it to arbitration, Patreon would have to incur the filing costs etc of that as the drafting party.

You will note the article doesnt discuss the nature of the campaign or reasons for the de-platforming and also note the slant of the site.

EDIT- Ah yes, as suspected, the Patreon user in question is , in fact, an arsehole. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Owen_Benjamin

maverickronin

Major Contributor
You will note the article doesnt discuss the nature of the campaign or reasons for the de-platforming
That's pretty much irrelevant though. Even though this particular case really has nothing to do with it these companies need to stop getting away with pretending they aren't common carriers.

Top Bottom