• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How-To Record System Audio Including Enhancements? (Dolby Atmos EQ/DTS-X)

bullshoy55

Does anyone have any clue how to record the system audio on Windows computers WITH the enhancements enabled such as the Dolby Atmos equalizer or DTS-X headphone profiles...? I can't find anything even close to this topic being discussed on the Internet.

OP
B

bullshoy55

You can do that using Audacity's Wasapi Loopback input.
It captures all post-APO system audio.
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work; in addition, I remember trying to use this method when I first encountered this problem. The screenshot attached shows the waveforms of two recordings, the bottom one of which has compression enabled, but the audio waveforms are identical.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2023-12-18 144040.jpg
    Screenshot 2023-12-18 144040.jpg
    387 KB · Views: 27

staticV3

Master Contributor
Unfortunately, it still doesn't work; in addition, I remember trying to use this method when I first encountered this problem. The screenshot attached shows the waveforms of two recordings, the bottom one of which has compression enabled, but the audio waveforms are identical.
Hmm, perhaps Dolby and DTS are applying their DSP in an unusual way.

I'm sorry, I had assumed they'd function just like other APOs, whose output can be captured using this method.

staticV3

Master Contributor
An alternative method would be to output the audio via Toslink, then record it using a Hifime UR23.

OP
B

bullshoy55

An alternative method would be to output the audio via Toslink, then record it using a Hifime UR23.
This is exactly what I was thinking would be a perfect backup solution (although no telling if this will actually work or not), unfortunately I am entirely constrained to the digital realm as of now. If anyone else has a software workaround, please feel free to add your input.

Last edited:

staticV3

Master Contributor
Anybody have any ideas how to do this?
Since Windows' internal Audio loopback doesn't seem to work for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X, you can create your own, external, fully digital loopback using a Hifime S2 Digi.

So go PC->S2 Digi out->Toslink->S2 Digi in->PC.

Then you can play your test tones and simultaneously record the DSPed versions using Audacity, REW, etc.

In case your PC already has a Toslink output, you could opt for the cheaper Hifime UR23 instead.

OP
B

bullshoy55

Since Windows' internal Audio loopback doesn't seem to work for Dolby Atmos/DTS-X, you can create your own, external, fully digital loopback using a Hifime S2 Digi.

So go PC->S2 Digi out->Toslink->S2 Digi in->PC.

Then you can play your test tones and simultaneously record the DSPed versions using Audacity, REW, etc.

In case your PC already has a Toslink output, you could opt for the cheaper Hifime UR23 instead.
I really appreciate the hardware tutorial but my constraints regarding that are severely limiting due to the machine being a laptop that is also used for portable tasks. I need to solve this on the software side of things. If it helps, I can post the digital signal chain.

OP
B

bullshoy55

Bump, if anybody has any experience with doing this, feel free to chime in.

Top Bottom