• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to incorporate DSP in this system.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Hey all,

I have a pretty modest system that I listen to from time to time and have recently discovered a way to perform room measurement (REW+UMik). I would like to implement DSP into the audio chain and couldn't really figure out a solution. Should there be a stand alone DSP unit such as MiniDSP that can do PEQ or something else.

My current system includes the following: Denon PM-600NE Amp, AT-LP60 and ART DJ PReII and iFi Zen Blue streamer. I use an iphone or Ipad to stream to the Zen Blue.

Any suggestions welcome.

Digital_Thor

Since you did not mention your speakers.... I don't know whether you have a subwoofer connected to the subwoofer-output on your amp. If you are willing to do so, there is this modestly priced product from dayton audio, which I tried, and it works pretty well.
https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1664/dsp-lf-low-frequency-dsp-controller
If you have pretty linear speakers to begin with, your subwoofer would be the most important one to EQ.
Further, if you really want to have full EQ on your main speakers, then you would have to implement a Minidsp HD as minimum, at that specific source that you most want to EQ.
I do not know about Apple products.... but windows have APO, which is free to download and use, which can act as a pretty powerful EQ for all sound cards in windows.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Since you did not mention your speakers.... I don't know whether you have a subwoofer connected to the subwoofer-output on your amp. If you are willing to do so, there is this modestly priced product from dayton audio, which I tried, and it works pretty well.
https://www.daytonaudio.com/product/1664/dsp-lf-low-frequency-dsp-controller
If you have pretty linear speakers to begin with, your subwoofer would be the most important one to EQ.
Further, if you really want to have full EQ on your main speakers, then you would have to implement a Minidsp HD as minimum, at that specific source that you most want to EQ.
I do not know about Apple products.... but windows have APO, which is free to download and use, which can act as a pretty powerful EQ for all sound cards in windows.
https://sourceforge.net/projects/equalizerapo/
OH wow, what a glaring mistake on my part. yes i do have two old RTR floor standing speakers and an SVS-PB1000pro subwoofer in the chain.

Keith_W

Major Contributor
1713632284215.png

I drew up a quick diagram for you. The MiniDSP needs to have an ADC and an optical input, as well as at least 3 analog outputs. You will use the MiniDSP for all processing as well as volume control. Once it is configured this way, the volume control on our Denon amp should be left untouched, preferably taped over to prevent accidental adjustment. Suitable MiniDSP models include the 2x4HD, Flex, and DDRC-24.

Another option would be to replace the MiniDSP with an interface card and a computer (PC, Mac) running convolution software. The advantage of doing this is more processing power and better correction. The disadvantage is cost and complexity.

OP
_thelaughingman

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@Keith_W thank you so much for the diagram and explainer, definitely going to go down this route and see what I can get out of it.

Top Bottom