• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Need a DAC for TV system- Topping vs. MiniDSP Flex Trs

jwr159

First post. Could use some advice on picking a dac solution for a two-channel system with a TV as the sole source.

After spending some time on this forum, I have come to learn that (1) most dacs from the likes of Topping, SMSL, Gustard, etc. will measure extremely well and pretty much sound the same, and (2) the Minidsp also measures very well but offers the advantage of DSP/room correction.

I am using a pair of active monitors. Room size is about 16 x 12 feet with the speakers on the 12 foot wall. The room has some modest room treatments. Overall the room sounds good, but there is always room for improvement. At some point, I will likely add a pair of subs that will be low-passed filtered through the monitors.

I am leaning toward a Topping A90 because my sense is the dac functionality/reliability is better than the MiniDSP. On the other hand, the MiniDSP does offer room correction which may be beneficial.

Did anyone compare the two? Which direction would you go? Suggestions welcome. Thanks.

asrUser

The A90 is a headphone amp, not a DAC. What should make a Topping DAC more reliable than MiniDSP btw.? It's on the contrary. MiniDSP Flex can be easily configured with Dirac. To get a room correction for topping, you'd need a mini computer and a lot of work.

Ron Texas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Get a MiniDSP 2x4 HD. It has toslink input for the TV and built in PEQ for room EQ or fixing bad design decisions in your speakers. If you decide to add subs, it has crossover and delay functions.

Top Bottom