• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to (cost effectively) EQ a mostly analog system while maintaining high fidelity?

BadAudioAdvice

Dear ASR forum members, I'd like to ask for some advice regarding how I can incorporate (a cost-effective) EQ in my system:
Speakers: Technics SB-C700 (the ones reviewed by Amir)
Amplifier: Topping PA5 II
DAC: Topping E50 with Coax for CD player, Optical for Airplay Streaming, don't really use USB
Phono: ifi Zen or ART DJ PreII (so I can use balanced or unbalanced)
Headphones: Sennheiser 660S
Headphone Amp: Topping L50

Ideally I'd be able to switch between the EQ profiles for the headphones and the speakers, and maintain the high level of fidelity offered by the Topping devices.

Bonus question, if I wanted to also do room correction, does that negate the need to apply a EQ profile for the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
Dear ASR forum members, I'd like to ask for some advice regarding how I can incorporate (a cost-effective) EQ in my system:
Speakers: Technics SB-C700 (the ones reviewed by Amir)
Amplifier: Topping PA5 II
DAC: Topping E50 with Coax for CD player, Optical for Airplay Streaming, don't really use USB
Phono: ifi Zen or ART DJ PreII (so I can use balanced or unbalanced)
Headphones: Sennheiser 660S
Headphone Amp: Topping L50

Ideally I'd be able to switch between the EQ profiles for the headphones and the speakers, and maintain the high level of fidelity offered by the Topping devices.

Bonus question, if I wanted to also do room correction, does that negate the need to apply a EQ profile for the speakers?

Thanks in advance!

Check miniDSP. You can split outs between speakers and headphones where each channel has their own separate EQ setting.

You can apply speaker EQ (as opposed to room EQ) or general tone controls as needed after Dirac (if enabled). Sometimes I apply/change simple shelving PEQ filters manually or with presets depending on the mood, volume level (very quite vs loud listening), or due to peculiarities of select recordings.

OP
B

BadAudioAdvice

You can split outs between speakers and headphones where each channel has their own separate EQ setting.

That's good to know.

So it seems like the Flex unbalanced might be the "cheapest" way to get EQ for both speakers and headphones...still seems a bit pricey.

In hindsight I wouldn't have needed to get the Topping E50 DAC if I had the miniDSP Flex - would have made the price more palatable.

ernestcarl

Major Contributor
That's good to know.

So it seems like the Flex unbalanced might be the "cheapest" way to get EQ for both speakers and headphones...still seems a bit pricey.

In hindsight I wouldn't have needed to get the Topping E50 DAC if I had the miniDSP Flex - would have made the price more palatable.

Well, there's the 2x4HD. Other manufacturers make their own DSP EQ 2x4 or 4x4 ADAC units. Only thing to note is the SNR/SINAD will be lower than that of the Flex.

Roland68

Major Contributor
That's good to know.

the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini
the t.racks DSP 4x4 Mini Pro
Different price range and also tested and recommended by Amirm.
What do you use as a source?

JohnnyAudio

DBX 234

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Swap out the E50 with the miniDSP Flex, or if you really need to be economical the miniDSP 2 x 4 HD. In either case your analog would undergo an A to D conversion to be subjected to PEQ, Bass MGT, and DSP. The two great advantages of the Flex over the @ 2 x 4 HD is the higher sinad of the Flex (112 vs. 100-- I personally am not convinced you would even hear that) AND the Flex has a volume level display while the 2 x 4 HD does not. That one could be important if you value your speaker cones, but maybe not if you are an extremely careful and meticulous individual. Either processor can be outfitted with basic Dirac for $200 which is, I think, a super bargain. Either processor will give you 4 DAC channels, and the capability of adding a sub(s) with digital high/low pass filters with selectable slopes. You could probably sell the Topping on Ebay, I'm sure there's a market for it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom