• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How to EQ (for headphones) the output of an AVR?

Ongii

Hello!
My Marantz cinema 50 has limited equalization possibilities, on the headphones output.
On the autoeq website, I saw that even with headphones which are already well balanced like Sennheiser HD650, there are worlds between the final results of equalizing with such a simple system like an AVR and with a PC with EAPO.
As I have multiple sources, I'd like to equalize down the chain, so after the AVR which acts as source selector.

Now I ask myself if these difference in the curves will be actually hearable.
If so, then I see no alternative to getting two (!) more devices: first a miniDSP 2x4 to do the PEQ on the Zone2 output of the AVR, and second an headphones amp with analogue input (BTW, this would imply an additional ADDA cycle...).

Alternative, but I suspect it will not work: AVR to Qudelix, via Bluetooth.

Thanks for your thoughts and considerations !

Last edited:

Oso Polar

AFAIK usually AVR headphone out is just a checklist item and it is recommended to never use it.

IAtaman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
If I understand you correctly, you have various sources all connected to an AVR, and you'd like an EQ solution that would work with headphones no matter which source you are listening to.

If the AVR has Bluetooth out, connecting to Qudelix 5K and using that to drive headphones would work - Q5K EQ applies to all inputs. You need to check whether BT is audio in only or does it also output as well though.

Do you have a digital out on the AVR or all outputs are analog?

OP
Ongii

Ongii

@IAtaman
Yes, exactly, that's my use case.
My Marantz is stated to be capable of both Bluetooth receive and transmit .
It has digital output only as HDMI

Chromatischism

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
@IAtaman
Yes, exactly, that's my use case.
My Marantz is stated to be capable of both Bluetooth receive and transmit .
It has digital output only as HDMI
Did you find a solution?

My AVR can not transmit Bluetooth but that seems like the best solution if you have it. I also have everything connected to my AVR (Sony PS4 and 4K UHD player).

I paired my Q5K with my Sony TV. It's working great for TV apps. I have a high-end fiber optic HDMI running from my AVR to my TV for eARC but I haven't tested yet if console games or movies will work like this and still transmit from the TV via Bluetooth. I'll test it later today.

OP
Ongii

Ongii

@Chromatischism
I gave up. The Qudelix was not always seen by the AVR, so at the end I decided to keep my headphone amp for listening with headphones, the only source being the PC. And the AVR I use now only for loudspeakers.
It's not nice, but if you want high quality..

Top Bottom