• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many pairs of speakers do you own? How often do you rotate them?

restorer-john

Grand Contributor
But what are you two most favorite speakers you listen too.

Jamo 507as from 1998 have been connected for several years now and some Mission M-53s from 2002. Mainly because they are both slim enough to be side by side in the space. There's a few few 600mm stands too, so I can pop down bookshelves when I feel like something smaller to play with. There's a lot of speakers in my listening room- I really should get rid of 10 or so pairs to make space. It looks like a shop.

My favourite speakers are out of action needing new bass driver surrounds and I can't face the re-rolling at the moment. Too much else going on.

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I am a real nomad, I love to try many different speakers, I had mission lx2, lx1, klipsch r51m and klipsch rp600m, elac debut 6.2, numan retrospective 1978 MKII, dali spektor 1, lonpoo lp42, magnat monitor 202, magnat tempus 33, magnat monitor supreme 1002, kef q350 and Davis acoustics mia 20.
Many of them I had for a short time and then resold, for now I listen with the kef Q350, I like them but I would like to try the elac dbr.
At the moment I am so distributed
Mission lx1 (really nice) in the bedroom
Q350 from my partner's house
Klipsch rp600m in my main listen
Lonpoo lp42 connected to Alexa
Dali spektor 1 as PC speakers
5.1 system with magnat 1002 towers plus magnat 202 surrounds and a magnat tempus center

Last edited:

Talisman

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
What are other people's thoughts on this? Why do you have multiple speakers and do you think buying one of the "Blind Research Approved" brands would obviate your desire for owning more than one speaker?
I guess a lot of us own a lot of speakers because we like speakers, because it's our passion, because we like to hear the differences, because when we see a particular design we wonder how it would sound with my amp.
If I could buy definitive speakers, I would certainly enjoy my music very well, but I would inevitably be sadder because trying so many different speakers amuses me, so I inevitably always find an excuse or a place to put an audio system.
In the garage while I fix the bike I need a system.
In the bedroom to help you sleep with relaxing music clearly.
Should I use my PC with trivial usb boxes? For heaven's sake no!
If I ask alexa to tell me the recipe of the day, her voice must have the right pitch, I would say right?
The 5.1 for the projector do not even say
In short, any excuse is good

I love music, wherever I am some speaker is playing, but it's also a fetish for me

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
JBL LSR 308 for daily econo-drivers with the TV, adjacent to Martin Logan reQuest on the big amps for "critical listening" to music or Special Movies.

The preamp has 2 output zones, so just click click to swap.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I guess a lot of us own a lot of speakers because we like speakers, because it's our passion, because we like to hear the differences, because when we see a particular design we wonder how it would sound with my amp.
If I could buy definitive speakers, I would certainly enjoy my music very well, but I would inevitably be sadder because trying so many different speakers amuses me, so I inevitably always find an excuse or a place to put an audio system.
In the garage while I fix the bike I need a system.
In the bedroom to help you sleep with relaxing music clearly.
Should I use my PC with trivial usb boxes? For heaven's sake no!
If I ask alexa to tell me the recipe of the day, her voice must have the right pitch, I would say right?
The 5.1 for the projector do not even say
In short, any excuse is good

I love music, wherever I am some speaker is playing, but it's also a fetish for me

Same here mostly. When I see photos of all the crazy speakers out there, or even videos and snapshots from shows like Axpona, I think "I would LOVE to hear what that speaker sounds like!" I know some people seem to like the idea of zeroing in on a specific set of criteria for "good speakers" and it's great that there can be a viable criteria. But frankly I love that there is still a Wild West factor in high end audio design, with people following their muse and trying out all sorts of stuff. An off the beaten path speaker design may not check all the boxes to get it in to the "ASR approved" speaker club, but there may nonetheless be characteristics I find fascinating or enjoy about that speaker.

I mean, at a previous Toronto Audiofest I attended, these wacky looking things created the most eerily present sensation of someone playing a classical guitar that I've ever experienced:

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
the most eerily present sensation of someone playing a classical guitar that I've ever experienced
The speakers are see through, no wonder they emanate ghostly sounds.

Seven words: Fingerprints and dust!

It seems these people live in a world where dust isn't everywhere and always! Just yesterday i had a green shimmer on all of my kit. Freaking trees came over my stuff, it was all birch pollen!

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a single full range driver with SET amps, solo acoustic guitar probably the limit of what it can do well.

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Looks like a single full range driver with SET amps, solo acoustic guitar probably the limit of what it can do well.
Rude!
1546607136176.gif

Descartes

Major Contributor
Office: Sonus Faber Elipsa SE
Mud room - KEF Eggs
Kids Media Room, for movies & games: All KEF LS50 (7.2.4)
Media Room (movies & music) - B&800D2 & 802D2 all sold now looking at all in walls now preferably Revel and KEF meta unless I go for on wall Genelec
Garage/gym: Paradigm S1Be
Bedrooms: Apple Home Pods

Lsc

Family room - Revel Salon2/Voice2
Rec Room - Revel F12/C12/M12/S12
Video game room - Definitive C1/BP2

Going to rearrange to improve the video game room where my kids and their friends spend lots of time and take away stuff from the rec room that no one uses.

I mostly listen to the salons as they are far superior than the other speakers although the rec room was a decent HT setup w the sub.

Brent71

Dunlavy SC-V (pair 1)
Dunlavy SC-V (pair 2)
Dunlavy SC-IV
Dunlavy SC-III
B&W 802 Series 3
Athena S3
Klayman SRS-S33
PSB 500

Top Bottom