• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many pairs of speakers do you own? How often do you rotate them?

Daverz

Major Contributor
Dunlavy SC-III
NHT Xd (with 1 subwoofer)
Vandersteen Quatro (cloth)
Buchardt S400 + 1 SVS SB-1000 Pro

I was swapping between the Vandersteens, the NHT system, and the Buchardts a lot during the pandemic. Unfortunately, I managed to kill the NHT subwoofer. I settled on the Buchardts with the SVS subwoofer.

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Hmm distinct pairs, maybe just shy of two dozen? Most of them are installed in various systems/rooms, no particular need to rotate/change for a while...

Everett T

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
I currently own three pairs of speakers. Kef Q150, Paradigm Titan V6 and some old Yamaha bookshelf speakers. I try to rotate them about every two weeks. It seems lately I'm looking for an excuse to buy another pair.

I hope this question hasn't been asked yet. If so be easy on me lol
Rotate? I just keep buy additional houses :p

OP
A

Adaboy4z

Rotate? I just keep buy additional houses :p
I wish I could add on a other room to my house. I've been eye balling the Tuff shed in the backyard. How can I make it my man cave...

OP
A

Adaboy4z

TLEDDY

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Five … Harbeth 40.1; KEF R3; JBL305; JBL308; Stacked Quad ESLs

… and six pair of ear speakers

… and three loaned out: Maggies, KEF LS50 and Quad 63s

Apexplus

only 2 at the moment:
Rega Kyte (circa 1994) -- still going strong, hooked up to my desktop PC setup...
Sonus Faber Concerto (circa 2000) -- the love of my life, I have milf like fetish for this pair :)

DanielT

Major Contributor
Five pairs, will sell three pairs that do not meet my requirements. I will buy, as usual, one or two more pairs. I only buy used so I can buy and sell for about the same price.:)

Right now I'm looking at whether I should either buy a pair of Monitor Audio silver RX8 or Polk audio LS50. If I agree on a reasonable price with the sellers.

Edit:
Incidentally, the only sensible way, I think, is to compare at least two pairs of speakers for a long time. Listen and listen even more. Of course have fun when you do it, otherwise it's pretty pointless.:)

Attachments

• shot_2022-02-05_07-22-07.png
    shot_2022-02-05_07-22-07.png
    573.7 KB · Views: 131
  • shot_2022-02-05_07-20-24.png
    shot_2022-02-05_07-20-24.png
    1 MB · Views: 130
  • 0jgv73ersul21.jpg.1c7ce7a71c4fb9e22545cfdd17d192f4 (1).jpg
    0jgv73ersul21.jpg.1c7ce7a71c4fb9e22545cfdd17d192f4 (1).jpg
    62 KB · Views: 125
Last edited:

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Until last year, I collected them and had a silly number. After discovering Revel F206s and Philharmonic BMRs, I sold them all. The only ones I sorta miss are KEF R3s.

So 3 pairs as listed in my signature:

F206
BMR
Q100

Hey Revels , BMRs or R3 :) looks like my speaker shortlist ? Curious about why the R3 had to go ?

Mnyb

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
On the topic .

Office Fostex pm0.5

Kitchen a small Adam model I forget the exact designation.

HT room , canton 365 setup .

Living room a 5.1 Meridian system DSP5200 for L,C,R and DSP3100 rears , and a Rhytmic 15” sub

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Hey Revels , BMRs or R3 :) looks like my speaker shortlist ? Curious about why the R3 had to go ?
As a new owner of R3, I'm very curious why it had to leave that superstar lineup :oops: Also curious how it compares to Revel and BMR, but that might be part of the answer to the previous question..
Btw I'm replacing DBR62 with R3, comparison ongoing, posted some on my thread, thus the Lazy Susans picture from above.

DanielT

Major Contributor
As a new owner of R3, I'm very curious why it had to leave that superstar lineup :oops: Also curious how it compares to Revel and BMR, but that might be part of the answer to the previous question..
Btw I'm replacing DBR62 with R3, comparison ongoing, posted some on my thread, thus the Lazy Susans picture from above.
Had I lived close to you, I would have gladly bought your DBR62:)

I was close to buying a used pair DBR62 a few weeks ago. The seller had put both mail address and telephone numbers in the ad. I emailed. Of course someone else called the seller and bought them immediately. They were sold at a very good price. There I had to blame myself. An amateur mistake.:facepalm:

Last edited:

f1shb0n3

Forum Donor
Had I lived close to you, I would have gladly bought your DBR62:)
DBR62 are too good to sell, I'll keep them in the rotation (staying on topic :)) Having something better didn't make them any worse, therefore rotations are born :)

Last edited:

DanielT

Major Contributor
DBR62 are too good to sell, I'll keep them in the rotation (staying on topic :) Having something better didn't make them any worse, therefore rotations are born :)
Seems sensible. I'm actually more interested in trying something completely new, maybe something really extreme. Omnis for example.

Although I'm looking for a pair of 1970s classics, OA 12. They are now available with newly developed speaker elements and crossovers. Curious about how they would sound in my listening room.

Completely renovated and upgraded with correct parts.
B65-OAII bass elements, T22oa tweeters, new correct crossover filters and modern speaker contacts.

Attachments

• Sonab-OA12-49342 (3).jpeg
    Sonab-OA12-49342 (3).jpeg
    514.2 KB · Views: 63

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Two pairs (monitors IMF compact II an far-field VDS model 1) powerd by a NAD C370 who can handel 2 pair of speakers. It looks the monitors are used the most but the far-fields are listend in duration longer too.

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
Seems sensible. I'm actually more interested in trying something completely new, maybe something really extreme. Omnis for example.

Although I'm looking for a pair of 1970s classics, OA 12. They are now available with newly developed speaker elements and crossovers. Curious about how they would sound in my listening room.

Completely renovated and upgraded with correct parts.
B65-OAII bass elements, T22oa tweeters, new correct crossover filters and modern speaker contacts.

My advice to you is to buy a good, active loudspeaker . You will never look back :)
Kali makes a really good active loudspeaker , probably much better than oa12.
Erin has been doing a review:

Last edited:

Tangband

Major Contributor
I'm curious about these.

I think there are many who are curious about them per se.:D

I think those are a step forward soundwise from the jbl 305 mkII. And I think that no passive loudspeaker below 500 dollars can compare with the Kali . They sound really good, and you only need a good source with volume regulation like a focusrite 2i2.

Top Bottom