• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many pairs of speakers do you own? How often do you rotate them?

Bleib

Major Contributor
4 pairs (3 in use)
Currently not looking to change anything. If I get a better job I might aim for Ino Audio floorstanders.

Edit: Or Junior XL:

Last edited:

thewas

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
More than a dozen of mainly vintage loudspeakers (B&W, Braun, Canton, JBL, MB Quart, RFT, Technics, etc...) used to rotate them quite often but my 2 pairs of LS50 (desktop) & Meta with sub (classic stereo triangle) are so much superior at imaging in my underdamped and relatively small listening distance that it got less in the last year.

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Well since I own them might as well listen to them..
Yes and I think good speakers are like good wine. Good but different and a pleasurable experience. And the variety is part of the pleasure. All speakers will sound different no matter how accurate our electronics are. Enjoy the ride.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
This thread has made me curious about the reasons we may have for having multiple speakers. Which will lead to a question for those on this thread.

One obvious reason is that people may have multiple systems for multiple uses - e.g. main 2 channel "serious" listening system, and one in the office or whatever, so we can listen to music in more than one room. But it seems many of us go beyond and and have multiple speakers because we just like different speakers.

It seems interesting to contemplate the implications when we also think of research in to speaker preferences - e.g. all the research from Floyd Toole, Harman Kardon etc. Given there are speaker designs, brands like Revel and some others, that have been demonstrated as preferred in blind tests with a high statistical confidence, one could say "the safe bet if I want to like music through my system is to just buy one of those speakers and be done with it." But of course, there isn't just the facts of human taste/perception in strictly controlled sessions. There's variations on human psychology that operate outside of those conditions - e.g. the conditions under which we actually purchase and enjoy our equipment at home.

I just really like speakers. I like the fact that speakers sound different. I can appreciate what one speaker does that I like, vs another that may do something else that I like. I've yet to hear a speaker that 'does it all' in the sense of combining the disparate things I like about very different speakers. (E.g. I can very much enjoy a coloration sometimes in a speaker, other times really like neutrality and low coloration).

My personal hunch is that, psychologically, just buying a Harmon Kardon (or like) speaker wouldn't be the end-all for me, that it wouldn't just satisfy all my itches about speakers. I'm pretty sure I'd still want some other speaker designs around for variety just as I do now. (And when I auditioned Revel speakers while I admired them, I found plenty in other speakers that I liked as well, so they didn't strike me as "the answer to all my speaker desires" under those conditions).

What are other people's thoughts on this? Why do you have multiple speakers and do you think buying one of the "Blind Research Approved" brands would obviate your desire for owning more than one speaker?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
This thread has made me curious about the reasons we may have for having multiple speakers. Which will lead to a question for those on this thread.

One obvious reason is that people may have multiple systems for multiple uses - e.g. main 2 channel "serious" listening system, and one in the office or whatever, so we can listen to music in more than one room. But it seems many of us go beyond and and have multiple speakers because we just like different speakers.

It seems interesting to contemplate the implications when we also think of research in to speaker preferences - e.g. all the research from Floyd Toole, Harman Kardon etc. Given there are speaker designs, brands like Revel and some others, that have been demonstrated as preferred in blind tests with a high statistical confidence, one could say "the safe bet if I want to like music through my system is to just buy one of those speakers and be done with it." But of course, there isn't just the facts of human taste/perception in strictly controlled sessions. There's variations on human psychology that operate outside of those conditions - e.g. the conditions under which we actually purchase and enjoy our equipment at home.

I just really like speakers. I like the fact that speakers sound different. I can appreciate what one speaker does that I like, vs another that may do something else that I like. I've yet to hear a speaker that 'does it all' in the sense of combining the disparate things I like about very different speakers. (E.g. I can very much enjoy a coloration sometimes in a speaker, other times really like neutrality and low coloration).

My personal hunch is that, psychologically, just buying a Harmon Kardon (or like) speaker wouldn't be the end-all for me, that it wouldn't just satisfy all my itches about speakers. I'm pretty sure I'd still want some other speaker designs around for variety just as I do now. (And when I auditioned Revel speakers while I admired them, I found plenty in other speakers that I liked as well, so they didn't strike me as "the answer to all my speaker desires" under those conditions).

What are other people's thoughts on this? Why do you have multiple speakers and do you think buying one of the "Blind Research Approved" brands would obviate your desire for owning more than one speaker?

I was once a collector of speakers and had perhaps 20 pairs on hand. I rotated them frequently and had favorites for different rooms, material, and moods. Buying that first pair of "Blind Research Approved" (Revel F206) speakers for the media room was a revelation. They do everything very well. Having Dirac with multiple presets allows me to change their tonality to suit the program when needed, which nails the last 5 or 10% of what I could ever want. Smooth directivity makes that possible. Once in place, I stopped rotating speakers. After 1 year, I started thinning the herd as those F206s had not moved and I had no desire the swap anything else in their place.

That same progression happened in my home office once I bought the BMRs and a Dirac license for that room. I completely lost the desire to rotate speakers and sold them all.

Buying "Blind Research Approved" speakers has saved me a lot of $$ and a lot of space.

Tom C

Major Contributor
I do not rotate speakers, but have several different types used in different rooms. Office has self powered monitors, home theater has mix of self powered and passive, bedroom yet a different setup, etc.
Since there are differences between speakers that measure well and are preferred in blind tests, I will always want more than one model, in order to be able to change with mood. Not spending more than necessary on any one pair helps with this.

bluefuzz

Major Contributor
3 pairs - all DIY. A pair of Linkwitz LXminis which are my currently 'active' pair, a pair of small (5" woofers) SEAS MTM towers and a pair of heavily rebuilt/modded vintage JBL L100s (symmetrical driver layout, new crossover, braced cabinets etc.). I also have a DIY 10" subwoofer which gets used with all of them when in use. I would say, out of the box, the modded L100s have the best imaging of them all in my room - yes even better than the LXminis - but with Dirac they are all equally fine. I mostly use the LXminis because my room is small and the others fill more in my 'field of view' ...

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I just went through a phase of buying speakers that interested me. Second hand of course, they were all pretty cheap.

Speakers are the most interesting type of equipment to me. Although I have got lots of amps and CD players too.

SIY

Grand Contributor
Technical Expert
Five pair plus three subwoofers.
Lab/Main listening: multi-amp based on NHT 3.3
Lab/benchtop: Kali LP-6
Lab/Testing and test loads: NHT Super Zero
Dining room: Vanatoo T1E
TV room: Vanatoo T0
TV room: some Klipsch active sub I was gifted
Garage: Two 10 cu ft sealed EQed subs with 2245H drivers, I have nowhere in my listening area that they'll fit.

OP
A

Adaboy4z

I admit the Paradigm Titan V6 speakers caught my eye. I really like the look of the white semi transparent woofer. It was a steal with matching stands so I bought it on looks. And i got lucky as they sound good.

mightycicadalord

I've always had two pairs for two rooms.

But I recently sold all my pre-built stuff and have only diy now with no intention to stop building. Oops.

The nice thing about having to build your speakers is you don't have any time to think about buying more.

Wolf

I've always had two pairs for two rooms.

But I recently sold all my pre-built stuff and have only diy now with no intention to stop building. Oops.

The nice thing about having to build your speakers is you don't have any time to think about buying more.

Welcome to the obsession! or is that Asylum!?

amadeuswus

Forum Donor
One reason to own multiple pairs is to try out the various radiation patterns for home speakers: point source vs. line source, forward radiator vs. omni, dipole, etc. It's fun comparing the different strengths and compromises struck by each type. I don't think buying a Revel or Genelec would end that.

For now I listen to four channels of point-source speakers (Gradient Revolutions), but I have line-source speakers (Soundline SL2 and Eminent Technology LFT-8b) biding their time for kids to grow up and vacate their rooms.... And I keep wanting to try cheap used omnis.

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3 pairs and a pair on order.
Linn Ninka
Kali LP8
Paradigm Micro
Genelec G Five
I have to amend my post. I had to return the Kali LP8's. We (wife and I) listened to them over the weekend and they are just not ready for prime time in a home environment.

Axo1989

Major Contributor

While I've seen some very nicely priced trade-ins (B&W Matrix, QUAD 989, Focal Scala, Gallo Reference, etc) go by I'm never quick enough, I basically just buy new speakers when I break the old ones. I try and get a bigger pair each time. If I ever get on top of my repair queue I'll have two-ways for the office desk, small floor standers for the kitchen/dining space as well as my current pair in the studio.

On the Harman ideal, I don't really care. The model and measurements are informative. My taste in music is poles apart from Toole Himself (Darko ftw there) and I seem to like narrow directivity as an overall preference. I'd likely enjoy the varied selection listed above. I wouldn't mind a pair of co-axial Genelecs as a reference though.

Last edited:

Diablogt

Its interesting to see myself slowly becoming “one of them”. I started a year ago with a promise to myself: only one pair and thats it. Then now I have 4 pairs, 2 of them are diy and one of the two is active. Also have 3 amps.

“Fortunately” my latest diy active pair are 15” 3 way one so I think I have reach the space limit of the house and my wife patience. Dont think I will add anything else anytime soon

pedros_2005

Not so many...
UE Megaboom 3 (Kitchen/Summer terrace)
Technics SB-A38 (Main Living Room)
Audioengine A5+ (Office)
Audioengine A5+ wireless (Bedroom)
Audioengine A2+ wireless (Attic/Children's Playground)

TheBatsEar

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I replace my ATC SCM19v2 with a pair of Focal Chorus 706 every now and then. It's fun to come back to the ATCs and hearing so much more fine detail.

I did the same with a pair of Focal Chorus 826V, but i sold the beasts to a guy that came from Poland to Germany, just to get them! That is dedication. I later learned that he used an ancient 30w Telefunken amp with them.:facepalm:

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Snarfie

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Permanent setup close monitoring IMF compact II an Vandersteen model 1.
1649735454462.jpeg

Top Bottom