• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How many pairs of speakers do you own? How often do you rotate them?

ZolaIII

Major Contributor
I'm curious about these.

I think there are many who are curious about them per se.:D

No, not really. IN 8 V2 will be interesting if they really improved considerably the power amp.

Edit: and as stated before it's not so hard to find a decent active ones that are reasonable priced, it's becoming far more challenging to do so with pasive one's.

Balle Clorin

Major Contributor
I currently own three pairs of speakers. Kef Q150, Paradigm Titan V6 and some old Yamaha bookshelf speakers. I try to rotate them about every two weeks. It seems lately I'm looking for an excuse to buy another pair.

I hope this question hasn't been asked yet. If so be easy on me lol
What is the point of this rotation I wonder ? Keep the best and sell the others…

By the way I have three pairs for the following reasons.
1. Technics bookshelf speaker 25 years old, used when I test and experiment with my amplifier builds, do not want to risk my main speakers.
2. A pair of 20 year old Audiophysic Virgo speakers my dad is borrowing permanently from me.
3. A pair of Revel F36 the is in my Hifi setup and is what I am listening to…

Someday when my father do not need the Virgo I will bring them home and choose between the Virgo and F36.I got the feeling the Virgo will win…

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
JM Lab Focal Elektra 926 on main system

Bang & Olufsen MC120.2 on the TV system

Not in use:
Audiovector X3 Super (kept as spares in case the JM Labs ever blow a gasket)

JBL Control One (used to be the surrounds when I ran 4.1 and 5.1 system)

IMF TLS50 (Need Xover renovating, maybe when I retire. I've got all the parts to do it)

Studiospares Classic SN10 (occasionally used as 'sacrificial' speakers to test old amplifiers)

Akai SW175 - (vintage classic high sensitivity with fifteen inch bass drivers, ideal for tube amps - except I don't have any tube amps anymore)

So 7 pairs total.

OP
A

Adaboy4z

OP
A

Adaboy4z

JM Lab Focal Elektra 926 on main system

Bang & Olufsen MC120.2 on the TV system

Not in use:
Audiovector X3 Super (kept as spares in case the JM Labs ever blow a gasket)

JBL Control One (used to be the surrounds when I ran 4.1 and 5.1 system)

IMF TLS50 (Need Xover renovating, maybe when I retire. I've got all the parts to do it)

Studiospares Classic SN10 (occasionally used as 'sacrificial' speakers to test old amplifiers)

Akai SW175 - (vintage classic high sensitivity with fifteen inch bass drivers, ideal for tube amps - except I don't have any tube amps anymore)

So 7 pairs total.
I owned the B&O S80 it was a decent speaker. How do you like the MC120.2?

Steve Dallas

Major Contributor
Hey Revels , BMRs or R3 :) looks like my speaker shortlist ? Curious about why the R3 had to go ?
As a new owner of R3, I'm very curious why it had to leave that superstar lineup :oops: Also curious how it compares to Revel and BMR, but that might be part of the answer to the previous question..
Btw I'm replacing DBR62 with R3, comparison ongoing, posted some on my thread, thus the Lazy Susans picture from above.
I chose the BMRs over the R3s based upon 2 criteria: 1. BMR's wider dispersion is more appropriate for the room; 2. BMR's low frequency extension is addictive. R3s are GREAT speakers, but BMRs suit me better. There is some fairly extensive discussion buried in my BMR review thread.

Considering the cost of the R3s, it did not make sense to me to have that much money sitting in boxes in the closet.

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I owned the B&O S80 it was a decent speaker. How do you like the MC120.2?
They are good from a monitor perspective but they lack a bit of the wallop I like for A/V. That whole system needs an overhaul really.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I've always been a Speaker Whore and actually had to shed speakers over the past few years. What I have left:

1. Thiel 2.7 floor standing speakers. Love these, can't part with them, got such a great deal second hand in the Ebony veneer that I wanted.
Super precise, dense imaging, punchy sound, gorgeous tone, the whole package.

2. Joseph Audio Perspectives. I switch these in place of the Thiels, they usually spend a few months at least in the system. Love, love, love these speakers. Very small floor standers that sound MASSIVE, huge soundstaging, great imaging, totally "disappear" as apparent sound sources, bass that rolls out along the floor so I feel it, and the most gorgeous tone of any speaker I've owned (just super clean and pure, even better than the Thiels. But the Thiels are a bit richer than the Joseph speakers).

That keeps me from getting bored. Though I also sometimes throw in to the system:

3. Spendor S3/5s. Tiny book shelf monitors with a big sound (at least in terms of soundstaging) and such a beautiful way with organic sounds - acoustic instruments and voices in particular.

4. Thiel O2. Mid sized, plain box monitors, circa 1983 or so, scooped up from my girlfriend (now wife). Her audiophile brother and father bought these for her when she moved out. It was a low cost Thiel speaker before they offered the time/phase coherent design. This speaker actually helped me get back in to high end audio because it blew me away when we'd listen in my girlfriend's apartment. You know the cliche of audiophiles who start out with Quad ESL 57s (or 63s), then get tired of their limitations and go searching for new speakers...but are haunted by what the Quads do so well that they are trying to get "that sound, but without the limitations?" It's the same for me with those little Thiels. They have, for my ears, a magic level of timbral warmth, the way "wood really sounds like wood, metal like metal" etc, with a super dense palpability - the sense that a bongo or guitar is occupying space right there in a corporeal way. Every time I throw them in the system it reminds me it's the sound I've been searching for "but better."

NiagaraPete

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
3 pairs and a pair on order.
Linn Ninka
Kali LP8
Paradigm Micro
Genelec G Five

blueone

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Too many pairs to count.

When I saw this thread I was waiting for your answer. I knew approximately what it would be, but it gave me a chuckle anyway. Just out of curiosity, what's your best pair of speakers?

Wolf

Addicted to Fun and Learning
It's not a problem, but a hobby I'm obsessed over. I also forgot or omitted those that are not in immediate view. I have 2 pair at the PC, a pair in my daughter's room, and about 3 pair currently stored away. So- it's actually closer to 25 pair.

Since I design, I have more in-use or in-progress designs than most on this forum.

Favorites are including about 5-6 of those, and one sub.
I love my Overdrive10 (original name)/Kilauea (upcoming kit) PR-bandpass sub. Packs a whallop, and is super clean.
My Vijon is a benchmark for me. I can place other designs against them and start over or scrap them.
My Glucinium Amor MTM are super clean and detailed and reveal flaws.
My Attitudes are a dynamite 3-way that do virtually everything well musically and I've yet to out perform them on another build.
My Cecropia Supreme are a reference for low HD, and through the midrange are -60dB from nominal. If they had the bass the 'Tudes have- they'd be 'IT' for me.

Last edited:

luft262

Pioneer SP-FS 52 Towers - that I moved to my in-laws

Focal 926 Towers - in our living room

Elac Debut 2.0 bookshelf speakers - in my computer loft

If you count ceiling speakers the previous homeowner installed two in the living room, which I use for surrounds, two in the master bedroom, which I use with a sub as an amp and a bluetooth dongle to play sensual jazz ;) , and two in the computer loft which I don't use... I do most of my main listening in our living room on the Focals, which are part of a 5.1 setup. Sometimes I listen to the Elacs on my computer or my headphone setup with Sundaras and JDS Atom Amp/DAC combo. I don't rotate them, but I do enjoy playing with all of them!

OP
A

Adaboy4z

AM88

It's not a problem, but a hobby I'm obsessed over. I also forgot or omitted those that are not in immediate view. I have 2 pair at the PC, a pair in my daughter's room, and about 3 pair currently stored away. So- it's actually closer to 25 pair.

Since I design, I have more in-use or in-progress designs than most on this forum.

Favorites are including about 5-6 of those, and one sub.
I love my Overdrive10 (original name)/Kilauea (upcoming kit) PR-bandpass sub. Packs a whallop, and is super clean.
My Vijon is a benchmark for me. I can place other designs against them and start over or scrap them.
My Glucinium Amor MTM are super clean and detailed and reveal flaws.
My Attitudes are a dynamite 3-way that do virtually everything well musically and I've yet to out perform them on another build.
My Cecropia Supreme are a reference for low HD, and through the midrange are -60dB from nominal. If they had the bass the 'Tudes have- they'd be 'IT' for me.
Thanks

lowkeyoperations

1. Rogers LS6 in the Lounge Room
2. Amphion One15s as nearfields in my studio/home office with an Adam Sub7.
3. Dynaudio XD20 as farfields in studio/home office (hopefully with a Dynaudio Sub soon)
4. Rural Etude bookshelves in my actual out of the house office
5 & 6. 2 HomePods for around the house in Kitchen/bedroom
7. Neumann KH120 in a box in a cupboard (I’d like to use these in the lounge but my better half doesn’t like the look)

Gringoaudio1

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Sonus Faber Venere 3.0 with matching Center and Surrounds, DIY 10 litre bookshelves with Scanspeak Revelator drivers (best tone in the house), Linn Kan v.1 (supposedly coloured but I like them a lot), Mirage OM-6, and a bunch of DIY speakers and single driver modules using various CSS and Tangband drivers and ribbon tweeters from Fountek that I stack and experiment with.
Different systems in three rooms. Always swapping stuff around but the bedroom system and theatre system seem to have settled down. Family room is a few racks of older equipment with various things connected at any one time.
Synthesizer studio with Minimus 7 as monitors and a couple PCs with computer speakers. Five subs.

Top Bottom