• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How long does it take to boil a kettle in USA?

Soniclife

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
The little spout is for precision pouring over the ground coffee? It must be an American thing
It's popular roots are Japanese, and most of the pour over kettles are Japanese. It's popular the world over these days.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Only on ASR.

I know, right? Formulas? Online calculators?

All you need to know is that it takes 1 calorie to heat up 1 gram of water by 1 Kelvin or degree Celsius (by definition), that 1 calorie is 4.18 Joule, and that 1 Joule equals one watt second. The rest is just arithmetic.

A resistor immersed in water is of course the most efficient way of converting electrical into heat energy (100%), and the only energy losses of a water kettle are through its walls to the surroundings.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
I know, right? Formulas? Online calculators?

All you need to know is that it takes 1 calorie to heat up 1 gram of water by 1 Kelvin or degree Celsius (by definition), that 1 calorie is 4.18 Joule, and that 1 Joule equals one watt second. The rest is just arithmetic.

A resistor immersed in water is of course the most efficient way of converting electrical into heat energy (100%), and the only energy losses of a water kettle are through its walls to the surroundings.
The calculator takes care of the unit conversions, which is convenient.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
The calculator takes care of the unit conversions, which is convenient.

Between calories and Joules?

I’m not complaining. I’ve seen online calculators for converting hours to minutes…

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

I’m not complaining. I’ve seen online calculators for converting hours to minutes…
Watts, but yeah. I don’t retain any of that stuff, because I don’t use it every day. Plus I had Fahrenheit temps and metric volumes, and it did all of it at once.

MCH

Major Contributor
Well, not that easy. The specific heat of water changes with temperature, that's why you must define the calorie at a given temperature.
But yes, all that is tabulated since centuries? ago, so a calculator could do the job.

theREALdotnet

Major Contributor
Well, not that easy. The specific heat of water changes with temperature, that's why you must define the calorie at a given temperature.

Yes, but only if you need to be precise to two digits after the decimal point. We don’t usually assume the mains voltage powering the kettle down to that accuracy.

ahofer

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Chrispy

Master Contributor
Forum Donor

Ralph_Cramden

Major Contributor
Just made a lovely cup of tea, the way I normally do - put the teabag in my insulated mug, hit the buttons on the Keurig for 8oz, and about a minute later (I didn't have a stopwatch), it's ready to steep.

We do have an electric kettle, which my wife uses for other things, like sanitizing small items. It takes a good bit longer, because she usually keeps it full of water, so I don't use it for tea.

Timcognito

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Get ready for some remember when we used to use natural gas stories. They just banned it for new construction in my county. No stoves, furnaces or dryers, no hook-up.

arvidb

I just love Qalculate (Swedish locale, sorry for the decimal separator ;) ):
Qalculate.png

jbattman1016

This. FWIW, most people I know (selves included) who use a Chemex or similar for coffee use this kettle in one of their umpteen colorways.

I’ve never timed it but it’s quick enough.
Nice, I use the pour over stuff from "Melitta". I haven't reached the Chemex level

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
So - I tested our "Melitta" branded kettle today. :)
1.2 L of fresh, unfiltered tap water (well water, no chlorine or other sanitizing agents) took 4 min 55 sec to boil.
Pot's power draw is rated at 1500 W.

PS Y'all know, I reckon, that there was an actual Melitta.

images

Melitta Bentz
She should've had a daughter & named her Mercedes. ;)

thegeton

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
"...1.2 L of fresh, unfiltered tap water (well water, no chlorine or other sanitizing agents) took 4 min 55 sec to boil.
Pot's power draw is rated at 1500 W..."

At what altitude?

sergeauckland

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Curvature

Major Contributor
This. FWIW, most people I know (selves included) who use a Chemex or similar for coffee use this kettle in one of their umpteen colorways.

I’ve never timed it but it’s quick enough.
I've seen it as well. Why this kettle?

mhardy6647

Grand Contributor
At what altitude?
Dang! I forgot that one detail! :eek:
Our house is right at about 1000 feet (305 m).
I... ahem... could've noted the air and water temperatures & barometric pressure... I am a little rusty. :(

Last edited:
Top Bottom