• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How do people feel about outriggers on speakers?

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
IMG_20231228_142403.jpg

Ok, installed after 12 years haha. The cat made me do it as he nearly knocked over the speakers when doing zoomies. They are slightly more stable after leveling and adjusting.

Bass has definitely tightened. Night and day in the upper bass. Even the mids are more chocolatey, veils lifted , wife in kitchen , yada yada. :D Sorry, couldn't help myself.

Last edited:

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Should we start an argument about the quantity of outriggers that would 'sound better'?
:oops:
3 or 4?
One is said to be more stable... The other lowers the weight on each leg.:rolleyes:

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
Should we start an argument about the quantity of outriggers that would 'sound better'?
:oops:
3 or 4?
One is said to be more stable... The other lowers the weight on each leg.:rolleyes:
4 is more stable since the pivot point is further from the center of gravity. 3 is a magic number however and that has greater mythical properties.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
4 is more stable since the pivot point is further from the center of gravity.
This Brian dude disagrees with you:
Brian Backner - Contributor - Post Date 2008/08/15
A three-legged base is always more stable than one with 4 or more legs.
Going back to Geometry 101, remember that any three points not on a line define a plane. Any four points not in the same plane define space. The point being that three legs will always be rock stable no matter their length or how uneven the floor on which they rest. To get a 4-legged table to sit solidly requires that they be the same length and be sitting on a very even floor. Think about how many times you've seen a 4-legged table with one leg shimmed to keep the table from rocking - have you ever seen a 3-legged stool or table treated similarly? Brian

From <https://sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?90268-3-versus-4-legged-table-stability>
;)
[first search answer]

OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
This Brian dude disagrees with you:

;)
[first search answer]
Lots of caveats in there. Luckily, the spikes are height adjustable so that all of them are touching the cups. The center of gravity is lower and further from the tipping plane in a mass support by 4 legs.

ryanosaur

Major Contributor
Right?!
Put three points as a base and raise the center of gravity and give a push.
Guess what’s gonna tip first? Especially if you happen to push against one side of that triangle! :eek:

And yes… I’ve seen this happen.

Geometry and physics are a b!tch, if you end up on the wrong side of them. ;)

phoenixdogfan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Energy RC-50 towers that I have owned for at least 12 years. I purchased a set of outriggers for them but never installed them. What are people's impressions of outriggers? Do they improve stability? Does it make it easier to clean underneath? Subjective impressions on appearance?
They're the Lego blocks of high end audio, except sooner or later you will break a toe.

pseudoid

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
raise the center of gravity and give a push.
I was not aware that a wrecking-ball was going to be put on a 'tripod'.
And yes… I’ve seen this happen.
Is it anything as easy as tipping-a-cow [not after the waitress served you your filet-mignon.]
It must be a 'bitch' to figure out which puts more pressure to the ground [re: a floor-speaker not a wrecking-ball experiment.]
;)

egellings

Major Contributor
bare speakers on the wood floor is better than aggressive spikes for sure. If the floors are a mirror finish i would use some buffer.
I wouldn't want to mar the wood floor's finish with spikes.

MattHooper

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Speakin' o outriggers, as I mentioned my Joseph floor standers are quite skinny and need the supplied outriggers to keep from tipping easy.

They were pretty steady on the floor (sitting on a deep shag rug) but I put together a speaker base to sit them on, which adds some solidity and also raises them
to the height I preferred. The base is two pieces of granite with a layer of car sound damping material in between them. Then being a wily Canuck, I used
some hockey pucks - two under the front outrigger to keep the right speaker tilt (I have an isoacoustics footers on the rear). And then the granite bass is
actually itself raised upon some hockey pucks which sit atop some circular carpet spikes. My goodness is this set up solid. Dead to the knuckle rap test
and the speakers feel solid as a rock on top of the base:

JOSEPH SPEAKER GRANITE BASE.jpeg

DavidShe

I have some Sonus Faber floor-standing speakers that came with spikey outriggers. Such outriggers are helpful to couple speakers to the floor, in case you think that is desirable. Outriggers can also control vertical tilt, allowing tweeters to be aimed precisely. Outriggers raise speakers a little off the floor, having some effect on bass response. But ultimately I figured my outriggers were mostly a gimmick, so I discarded them years ago.

Last edited:
OP
D

DonR

Major Contributor
They are working out great. Cat had the zoomies again tonight and the speakers didn't move at all. Before they were rocking more than Dick Clark's New Year's Eve .

Ecaroh

View attachment 337762

Ok, installed after 12 years haha. The cat made me do it as he nearly knocked over the speakers when doing zoomies. They are slightly more stable after leveling and adjusting.

Bass has definitely tightened. Night and day in the upper bass. Even the mids are more chocolatey, veils lifted , wife in kitchen , yada yada. :D Sorry, couldn't help myself.
Which outrigger product is this, DonR? They look better than what I've found to date. Thanks.

Top Bottom