• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

How did you discover music?

How do you discover music?

• Total voters

Liya

Given that I listen to 99% classical music, I already know the music that I want to listen to. What I discover are new performances. Sometimes it is through reading the classical press, sometimes classical forums (but those are surprisingly toxic places!), and sometimes through my friends. However, they have different priorities to me. One guy I know only listens to good recordings of classical music, and another is interested in less well known composers. I am interested in historic performances, which effectively renders my sound system irrelevant when I listen to those.
re 'toxic places', this is an interesting comment. I would say that classical takes around 30% of what I listen to. Some time ago I looked for some good classical music forum and my initial reaction was very similar to yours. However I haven't invested much time in reading it and simply moved on. Would you care to expand a liitle on the 'toxicity' of the classical forums? Do you have any specific sites in mind?

A friend of mine is into historic performances and, as a result of his recomendations, I am digging now Mr Raoul Koczalski

Keith_W

Major Contributor
re 'toxic places', this is an interesting comment. I would say that classical takes around 30% of what I listen to. Some time ago I looked for some good classical music forum and my initial reaction was very similar to yours. However I haven't invested much time in reading it and simply moved on. Would you care to expand a liitle on the 'toxicity' of the classical forums? Do you have any specific sites in mind?

Nah, I won't mention those sites. Suffice to say, people have their favourites and many people are entrenched in their views. There are lovers and haters of John Cage, Steve Reich, and Arnold Schoenberg, on the same intensity as objectivists vs. subjectivists, Canon vs. Nikon, PC vs. Mac, Star Trek vs. Star Wars, and so on. Then there are those who have a fervent hatred of Herbert von Karajan. I once met a gentleman who immediately identified his performance of a Beethoven Symphony I played, his words were something along the lines of "soulless military precision like the Nazi that he was". If you want to see a nasty debate, try asking for a recommendation for a well known piece, say Bach's Well Tempered Klavier. Everyone has their favourites, and it won't be long before someone mentions Glenn Gould and then it will all start.

For the record, for me, it is: anti-Cage, anti-Reich, anti-Schoenberg, objectivist, Canon, PC, Star Trek, love Karajan, don't like Glenn Gould. There, i've nailed my colours to the mast now. You all can hate me as much as you want.

Axo1989

Major Contributor
Nah, I won't mention those sites. Suffice to say, people have their favourites and many people are entrenched in their views. There are lovers and haters of John Cage, Steve Reich, and Arnold Schoenberg, on the same intensity as objectivists vs. subjectivists, Canon vs. Nikon, PC vs. Mac, Star Trek vs. Star Wars, and so on. Then there are those who have a fervent hatred of Herbert von Karajan. I once met a gentleman who immediately identified his performance of a Beethoven Symphony I played, his words were something along the lines of "soulless military precision like the Nazi that he was". If you want to see a nasty debate, try asking for a recommendation for a well known piece, say Bach's Well Tempered Klavier. Everyone has their favourites, and it won't be long before someone mentions Glenn Gould and then it will all start.

For the record, for me, it is: anti-Cage, anti-Reich, anti-Schoenberg, objectivist, Canon, PC, Star Trek, love Karajan, don't like Glenn Gould. There, i've nailed my colours to the mast now. You all can hate me as much as you want.

Glad I'm here at the friendly forum. Yeah, classical music before mid-20C avant-garde was just music boxes and marching bands (also Sony, Mac, Kubrick*, possibly hate Karajan and no real idea who Glenn Gould is ... ) :)

*see what I did there?

RayDunzl

Grand Contributor
Central Scrutinizer
Oh, I forgot to mention the organ and choir every Sunday morning during my earliest years, as a participating (but sceptical, even then, of the dogma) audience member, in Alabama.

--

Paternal Grandfather (originally from Ireland) was retired pastor at this chuch in Wilmington NC. He took up preaching after being a seaman. I guess it was easier work, and mostly just Sunday mornings. We would visit for a week once or twice a year. He was only 90 years (!!) older than me.

Yes, it has a real pipe organ.

Facility and Instruments
  • The Sanctuary includes The James Sprunt Memorial Organ, 1928 E.M. Skinner organ fully restored
  • The Sanctuary includes a Shigeru Kawai 6′ 6′ grand piano
  • The Chapel features The Kenan Chapel Organ, Noack Tracker organ installed in 1992
  • The Choir room features a restored Weber 1890 6’6″ Victorian Grand
1700535753156.png

Looks like a lot of restoration of the facility has occurred, it was a rather musty old place back in the 60's as I remember.

Had a fire in 1925:

1700537923137.png

Grandfather's house, a few blocks from the church

Last edited:

Mart68

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Our family church (built 1838) had a full pipe organ, I was always impressed by that as a child although it was only ever used at the1100 Sunday Mass and weddings/funerals. The longest pipe was 16 foot so it would go low.

My mother, being an organist herself (she tutored Sir Simon Rattle when he was a child) used to criticise the quality of the playing, which I thought a bit unfair.

We'd say to her 'Why don't you offer to do it then?' To which she'd reply 'Oh no!'

Closed in 2015, it's now luxury apartments. No idea what happened to the organ, probably ended up on a skip.

Top Bottom