• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Holiday in Tokyo, recommendations and drinks?

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My partner and I will be on holiday in Tokyo in the last 2 weeks of May. We like our booze, and we like craft too. Anyone have any recommendations?

Also, if any ASR users happen to be there during the same period, let's do a meal or drinks. Cheers!

EERecordist

I have not been for years, I would suggest looking into listening bars. Kyoto is a major craft center, it was once the imperial capital. The NTT Intercommunication Center may have audio programs in their anechoic chamber https://www.ntticc.or.jp/en/archive/works/anechoic-room/ if it is still there, otherwise they are known for AV art. TeamLab is known for light and projection installations, including in Tokyo, and Singapore.

Last edited:

fcracer

Forum Donor

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
We like our booze, and we like craft too.
What kind of craft? I suggest making a trip to Kyoto. There are some nice craft stores there. It is a magnificent city as far as temples/shrines/outdoors. Tokyo is great for food and general culture but not for much sightseeing.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
What kind of craft? I suggest making a trip to Kyoto. There are some nice craft stores there. It is a magnificent city as far as temples/shrines/outdoors. Tokyo is great for food and general culture but not for much sightseeing.

S/O went to Kyoto with her parents only a few months back, so we are passing on that unfortunately.

Homewares, leathercraft, metalwork/jewelry, textiles, lacquerware, woodworking. As well as foodstuffs I guess. Small workshops and factories of the like.

We are doing a fair bit of booze and mid-range eateries but less fine dining as S/O is a light eater and even lunch set menus are a bit too much for her, let alone dinner degustation menus

fcracer

Forum Donor
S/O went to Kyoto with her parents only a few months back, so we are passing on that unfortunately.

Homewares, leathercraft, metalwork/jewelry, textiles, lacquerware, woodworking. As well as foodstuffs I guess. Small workshops and factories of the like.

We are doing a fair bit of booze and mid-range eateries but less fine dining as S/O is a light eater and even lunch set menus are a bit too much for her, let alone dinner degustation menus
Check out Sot for leather goods. I bought a bag from there 10 years ago, used it everyday and it still looks and smells new. https://maps.app.goo.gl/D2ChHfSvAQgYLsMg9?g_st=ic

Also recommend Herz for leather products: https://maps.app.goo.gl/cSr1L53nJpnBX69LA?g_st=ic

If you’re into jeans, check out Levi’s harajuku where they will customize the made in Japan jeans for you with cool patches. The staff there take jeans very seriously and will spend the time with you to get it right. There’s also Blue Jeans and Momotaro jeans nearby for even more local experiences.

EERecordist

My friend recommends bartender Rogerio at (the tiny) Bar Trench in Ebisu, and bookshop bar Tsutaya in Daikanyama. I always enjoyed the hardware stores like Tokyu Hands with several locations.

My last trip was a work trip with a colleague who was also a traveler. Their tactic was to get off 2 stops before the destination on the train in Tokyo and navigate by foot to the destination.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
My friend recommends bartender Rogerio at (the tiny) Bar Trench in Ebisu, and bookshop bar Tsutaya in Daikanyama. I always enjoyed the hardware stores like Tokyu Hands with several locations.

My last trip was a work trip with a colleague who was also a traveler. Their tactic was to get off 2 stops before the destination on the train in Tokyo and navigate by foot to the destination.

I've heard multiple recommendations for Trench, and always prefaced with how popular it is!

Thanks for the Tsutaya tip.

Check out Sot for leather goods. I bought a bag from there 10 years ago, used it everyday and it still looks and smells new. https://maps.app.goo.gl/D2ChHfSvAQgYLsMg9?g_st=ic

Also recommend Herz for leather products: https://maps.app.goo.gl/cSr1L53nJpnBX69LA?g_st=ic

If you’re into jeans, check out Levi’s harajuku where they will customize the made in Japan jeans for you with cool patches. The staff there take jeans very seriously and will spend the time with you to get it right. There’s also Blue Jeans and Momotaro jeans nearby for even more local experiences.

Why yes, I dabble with Japanese denim. Have got specific brands I'm looking out for there, you actually reminded me. Had been lost in the flurry of planning.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Bump, still up for drinks/a meal with any ASRers based in Tokyo or visiting the last 2 weeks of May as well!

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really liked my trip to Japan last year, the phenomenon of audiophile bars and jazz kissa is real and quite interesting. I went to a cool place Beatle Momo in Kyoto and a couple interesting spots in Tokyo, A10 has great cocktails and IIRC some B&W 802s behind the bar... but there was another place that had an absolutely huge funk / soul vinyl collection. If you are interested I can try to look it up.

OP
Ilkless

Ilkless

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I really liked my trip to Japan last year, the phenomenon of audiophile bars and jazz kissa is real and quite interesting. I went to a cool place Beatle Momo in Kyoto and a couple interesting spots in Tokyo, A10 has great cocktails and IIRC some B&W 802s behind the bar... but there was another place that had an absolutely huge funk / soul vinyl collection. If you are interested I can try to look it up.

Much appreciated! We love vinyl played on large-format speakers with good beverages.

kemmler3D

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Much appreciated! We love vinyl played on large-format speakers with good beverages.
It was this place in Shimokitazawa: https://www.timeout.com/tokyo/bars-and-pubs/little-soul-cafe - drinks were fine, but the music selection was really stratospheric, and the sound was pretty good, too. A real listening bar, the kind you don't find everywhere.

I would say there's more of a subjectivist, appreciation-of-vintage-character vibe to Japanese audio fans / bar proprietors, but the sound is always pretty good as far as it goes.

Top Bottom