• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

HIFIMAN Susvara Headphone Review

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 215 62.3%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 60 17.4%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 32 9.3%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 38 11.0%

• Total voters

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Is the "AKG K120" the correct model number? When looking it up, I found this: "AKG introduced its first headphone, the K120 DYN, in 1949." Did AKG reuse the old model number, or is it typed incorrectly in your post?

John_Siau

Technical Expert
Audio Company

migo77

MS Copilot says:

"To volume match two headphones, you need to know their sensitivity ratings, which indicate how loud they can get with a given input voltage. According to the web search results, the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEMs have a sensitivity of 108 dB/V1 and the Hifiman Susvara headphones have a sensitivity of 83 dB/V2.

Using the formula SPL = sensitivity + 20 * log10(V), where SPL is the sound pressure level in dB, sensitivity is the sensitivity rating in dB/V, and V is the input voltage in V, we can calculate the voltage needed to get the same SPL for the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEMs as the Hifiman Susvara headphones.

If the Hifiman Susvara headphones produce 82 dB SPL with 210 mV input, then the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEMs would need an input voltage of:

V = 10^((SPL - sensitivity) / 20)

V = 10^((82 - 108) / 20)

V = 0.0063 V or 6.3 mV

Therefore, you need to set the output voltage of your amp to 6.3 mV to get the same SPL for the 7Hz Salnotes Zero IEMs as the Hifiman Susvara headphones."
Thank you very much! I've tried 6.3mV but it seems to my ears that is not matched, it is lower volume. Difference is not big. I'll try today again to verify, I was tired yesterday.

chosen1ft

I just register today,I think you should start the rate a few days before you post the review and then stop the rating after the review is shown to prevent your fans from being affected by your review.

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I just register today,I think you should start the rate a few days before you post the review and then stop the rating after the review is shown to prevent your fans from being affected by your review.
You do know the poll doesn't really matter? Most respondents never have and likely never will try a pair of these .

Chagall

Forum Donor
You do know the poll doesn't really matter? Most respondents never have and likely never will try a pair of these .

Some people just can't help themselves :)

Group 1.png

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Not a single DCA headphone on this self-proclaimed "Best headphones in 2023 / 2024" kek

If there is an ‘’impossible to hate for anyone’’ headphone then Susvara is probably number one in that ranking as well.

SummaryRankingTable.jpg.2475605a40fde2c49a34868eb38dc6d7.jpg

Rhamnetin

Not a single DCA headphone on this self-proclaimed "Best headphones in 2023 / 2024" kek

Dan Clark must not have paid them plus DCA headphones don't come with snake oil. That's slightly surprising though, since the E3 was hyped a lot and apparently sold well.

Man those tonal and technical performance ratings are all over the place and make no sense whatsoever. Zero consistency. How do you have some similar HiFiMans and Staxes so far apart in tonality?

Last edited:

Chagall

Forum Donor

Yep, that's the wetness without thickness guy. Still makes me chuckle.

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

Blorg

I think Sajit is in Asia and DCA I don't get the impression are very popular here. I very rarely see them come up here in Thailand. Are they popular in the Philippines? I do find him a bit woo audiophile but wouldn't have thought that list was outrageously controversial, for that matter several on it recommended by Amir (I think most of the ones he reviewed), some of them with golfing panthers.

Chagall

Forum Donor
I think Sajit is in Asia and DCA I don't get the impression are very popular here. I very rarely see them come up here in Thailand. Are they popular in the Philippines? I do find him a bit woo audiophile but wouldn't have thought that list was outrageously controversial, for that matter several on it recommended by Amir (I think most of the ones he reviewed), some of them with golfing panthers.

It isn't controversial, but that's always the problem when ranking anything...some things are going to be left out (in this case a whale).
Top 10 movies, top 10 songs, top 10 cars, top 10 scenes in a p*rno...it's just clickbait with little to no substance.

Rhamnetin

The tonality preference and technical performance ratings just don't seem to have any consistency. The Susvara and HE1000se for example have similar tonality, yet they're far apart. Headphones with very different tonality are in between. And what's the criteria for technical performance? It doesn't appear to correlate with THD, group delay, FR, or anything but maybe price.

1705008399422.png

majingotan

Major Contributor
Forum Donor

The issue is that technical performance rating doesn't mean anything to readers at all. DCA is quite well known here in the Philippines with Egghead dealer in Metro Manila area and the dealer from Cebu area (forgot the name) carry them as well.

Blorg

The tonality preference and technical performance ratings just don't seem to have any consistency. The Susvara and HE1000se for example have similar tonality, yet they're far apart. Headphones with very different tonality are in between. And what's the criteria for technical performance? It doesn't appear to correlate with THD, group delay, FR, or anything but maybe price.
I mean it's obviously a subjective ranking, he says it's subjective if you read his post. Not everyone in the headphone hobby thinks you can rank headphones totally objectively. Even many people who do believe in objective measurements, many here are more sceptical of this with regard to headphones than amps or DACs. It's possible to enjoy different tunings, Crinacle who you referenced obviously believes in measurements and he does tend to prefer something like Harman in headphones, or IEF neutral+bass with IEMs, which is very similar to Harman. But his rankings of headphones or IEMs, he attempts to rank tonality not on compliance to a single target but rather how well it implements the tuning it's going for. So there is a variety of stuff there too.

muslhead

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have owned two pair and did not vote. I am trying to offset those that have never tried them.
I liked them a lot but not as much as the 1000v2's ... please dont show me what there results look like

Blorg

@majingotan are you going to sell your Susvara now that it has been debunked? Or are you actually going to continue listening to it because despite this review you actually still sorta like it? It does actually temper the aura and mystique around it for me a bit, but if you wanted to offload it for a bargain price (it's worse tuning than a $25 IEM remember) I might be interested. I need to go on holiday soon actually, we have bad pollution coming up here soon, if the price was good enough I would come get it :)

Rhamnetin

I mean it's obviously a subjective ranking, he says it's subjective if you read his post. Not everyone in the headphone hobby thinks you can rank headphones totally objectively. Even many people who do believe in objective measurements, many here are more sceptical of this with regard to headphones than amps or DACs. It's possible to enjoy different tunings, Crinacle who you referenced obviously believes in measurements and he does tend to prefer something like Harman in headphones, or IEF neutral+bass with IEMs, which is very similar to Harman. But his rankings of headphones or IEMs, he attempts to rank tonality not on compliance to a single target but rather how well it implements the tuning it's going for. So there is a variety of stuff there too.

Crinacle's ranking looks more consistent to me. Looking through it, headphones with very similar tonality (especially those from the same brand with more similar characteristics in general) tend to rank more closely with one another. Susvara is right next to the HE1000v2, which is very close to the HE1000se.

The way I process this is: crinacle is giving an honest subjective assessment here, while that other site/reviewer deliberately diversified the list just for the sake of diversity (gotta showcase more brand names to keep them all happy), and the scores are just clickbait. Whereas, because crinacle seems to be more honest, aside from one outlier the top 10 is dominated by 3 brands because those are all similar headphones - a less presentable list.

1705011338382.png

Blorg

Jesus Crinacle really likes Hifiman, doesn't he. There is actually only one other brand there with two, namely Focal. Sennheiser and Stax have only one each.

Wonder why Utopia gets a value star but HE1000 doesn't when they have the same score and HE1000 is $1,000 cheaper than Utopia. And now, it's even more dramatic, Utopia went up to $4,400 and then $5,000 for the 2022 while HE1000 went down to $2,000 and now, $1,400.

Top Bottom