• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman Sundara Review (headphone)

0RF30

Hello, a question about the equalization of the sundara.
I asked in a group on another page if the equalization of these headphones was correct (using AMIR or ORATORY), but the answers were a little strange to what I have read in this forum. For example:

First answer:
Hello, I do not understand well, you bought some Sundara and you use equalizer ????
If the headphones are good, it would not be necessary, unless you do not like their profile, in that case, it would be normal to buy headphones that have a profile to your liking.
On the other hand, you cannot improve the quality with the equalizer, you only change the profile
Also by equalizing upwards, you can damage the hearing aids.

Second answer:
First you see that you are going to listen to the headphones and do you want to equalize them?
You have not even done the Burning ????
Don't you see anything weird about that?
First listen to them ... get tired of listening to them, then see if you find that there is "something" that you really do not like and then and only there you put eq where you believe or feel that something is missing.

My sundara are new, but I had the idea that a good EQ "improved" the listening experience. So am I not correct?
I'm sorry for my English.
Greetings

Sundara supports very well EQ, to a certain extent. they're pretty good without EQ for orchestral and chamber music, but you'll probably like more mid forward for vocal music (I'm just listening "Dos Gardenias", Ibrahim Ferrer with Buena Vista Social with just the 6300-6400 Hz spike corrected, sound very good and natural to me, no need to push the mids). You may also want to compensate sub-bass roll off and add a bass boost to your convenience for EDM/hip-hop etc... The 6300-6400 Hz spike correction is mandatory I think, the one around 8500 is not so bad, but benefits too.

I tend to second the person who said : depends on what you'll be listening to, but I see some coming with you shouldn't have to. Sorry, but no bass boost for rap / hip-hop is a no go with Sundara for me.

With oratory1990 EQ, you have a solid base to work with, with taste adjustable filters on some distinct areas. Amir's one not so bad too, I'd just modify the bass shelf a bit.

Last edited:

Ezees

I asked in a group on another page if the equalization of these headphones was correct (using AMIR or ORATORY), but the answers were a little strange to what I have read in this forum. For example:

First answer:
Hello, I do not understand well, you bought some Sundara and you use equalizer ????
If the headphones are good, it would not be necessary, unless you do not like their profile, in that case, it would be normal to buy headphones that have a profile to your liking.
On the other hand, you cannot improve the quality with the equalizer, you only change the profile

Second answer:
First you see that you are going to listen to the headphones and do you want to equalize them?
First listen to them ... get tired of listening to them, then see if you find that there is "something" that you really do not like and then and only there you put eq where you believe or feel that something is missing.

My sundara are new, but I had the idea that a good EQ "improved" the listening experience. So am I not correct?
Greetings
First get used to the HP's sound signature - enjoy the music "as-is" to get an understanding on how they sound. I then play pink noise (also some brown noise mixed in) overnight a few nights or weeks to loosen up a brand new headphone (not everyone is with these 'burn in' steps) - but this usually helps to smooth out some treble peaks or harshness, the bass settles in, and the midrange becomes richer. Then I listen more. Sometimes I don't EQ at all, other times I EQ to taste. It's all about the listening experience, EQ'd or not. Have fun and enjoy your investment.

JoséEFS

Thanks for everyone's responses.
With what parameters are you using the EQ Oratory1990? I know there is one more current, I use this one.

Channel: all
Preamp: -7 dB
Filter 1: ON PK Fc 28 Hz Gain 2 dB Q 1.4
Filter 2: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Gain 5 dB Q 0.71
Filter 3: ON PK Fc 510 Hz Gain 1.3 dB Q 2
Filter 4: ON PK Fc 1250 Hz Gain -1.6 dB Q 1.2
Filter 5: ON PK Fc 2400 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 0.9
Filter 6: ON PK Fc 4800 Hz Gain -2.7 dB Q 3.5
Filter 7: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Gain 3.5 dB Q 1.4
Filter 8: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6
Filter 9: ON PK Fc 10400 Hz Gain -2 dB Q 6

If you could share another option, it would be appreciated.
Greetings

GDK

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Thanks for everyone's responses.
With what parameters are you using the EQ Oratory1990? I know there is one more current, I use this one.

Canal: todos
Preamplificador: -7 dB
Filtro 1: ON PK Fc 28 Hz Ganancia 2 dB Q 1.4
Filtro 2: ON LSC Fc 105 Hz Ganancia 5 dB Q 0,71
Filtro 3: ON PK Fc 510 Hz Ganancia 1,3 dB Q 2
Filtro 4: ON PK Fc 1250 Hz Ganancia -1,6 dB Q 1,2
Filtro 5: ON PK Fc 2400 Hz Ganancia 3,5 dB Q 0,9
Filtro 6: ON PK Fc 4800 Hz Ganancia -2,7 dB Q 3,5
Filtro 7: ON PK Fc 6100 Hz Ganancia 3,5 dB Q 1,4
Filtro 8: ON PK Fc 6500 Hz Ganancia -2 dB Q 6
Filtro 9: ON PK Fc 10400 Hz Ganancia -2 dB Q 6

If you could share a better one, I would appreciate it.
Greetings
I honestly could not tell a difference between the previous Oratory1990 EQ (based on the revised Sundara pads) and the revised one. Although I don’t agree with the burn-in suggestions, @Ezees is right in terms of trying a few options, experimenting, and finding what works best for you.

JoséEFS

I honestly could not tell a difference between the previous Oratory1990 EQ (based on the revised Sundara pads) and the revised one. Although I don’t agree with the burn-in suggestions, @Ezees is right in terms of trying a few options, experimenting, and finding what works best for you.

I understand, thank you very much for the reply.
For now that EQ convinces me a lot, but it is always a good idea to have another option. Amir's did not convince me much.

aldarrin

IIRC, biggest difference between Oratory and Amir are:
1. Oratory is a sound engineer and probably has more experience with EQ (at least with headphones)
2. Oratory re-measures the headphones after his EQ. It looks like Amir does his EQ by ear and confirms with listening tests. What Amir does may sound better to him, but I'm pretty sure Oratory matches the target better.

If you don't mind lots of weird filters, you can use AutoEQ profiles for headphones (where the EQ is designed by software based on the best measurements available... usually Oratory, also Oratory helped Jaako with parts of the EQ algorithm). Cool thing about that is once you figure out how your needs / wants differ from the Harman target (IIRC, about half people want more or less bass and another half wants more or less treble), you can make your own target file (just make a copy of one of the target files and reduce the db levels to reflect how you tend to modify Harman EQ profiles) and it'll build EQ profiles for you (downloading the full project off Github includes the measurements).

Ezees

First answer:

Second answer:

Greetings
Congratulations on stepping up to better sound, you are ahead of many people by far...

MayaTlab

I’ve observed something a little curious about my copy of the Sundara and your input would be welcome.

I bought a pair from an official retailer (Son-Video.fr) which had been out of stock for a while and only recently received a new shipment. On the box there is a stamped date mentioning April 2021 - the shipping date out of China ? The pads are of the bulging seams kind, so I’m going to assume that it’s the “revised” version.

Something that I’ve started to become quite a bit wary of in regards to FR curves are sharp, high-Q asymmetrically sloped features of that kind (which you’ll quite frequently see with quite a few planars BTW) :

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 21.28.27.png

Not that it looks bad per se - at such a low magnitude I probably wouldn’t be able to hear it… if indeed it turned out to measure like this on my own head.

Thing is, when I started listening to my pair I noticed that something wasn’t quite right. Running sweeps I could indeed easily notice that sharp peak then dip around 1kHz or so. Since I felt that I wouldn’t be able to hear it to such an extent if it was as moderate as it measures on this site - or on some others - I went for the next step.

I’ve started to use in-concha microphones to measure headphones’ FR below 1kHz or so. More here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-at-a-breakthrough-value.943107/post-16300055
With some larger over-ears I find the data in the 1kHz-3kHz or so range obviously inaccurate but still somewhat exploitable with care in relative terms between headphones.

This is how my pair of HD560S (Left and right channels, top traces), HD650 (Left and Right channels, middle traces) and this pair of Sundara (left and right channels, bottom traces) measure :
Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 16.57.01.png

Don’t look too hard at the small recurring channel imbalances / tilt, if you look at the scale it’s within fairly narrow values (0.5-1dB) for the most part and a byproduct of pads compression / seal, placement variation, left and right microphones calibration - there’s one for each ear, etc. These traces are individual measurements but they’re representative of an average of five measurements where both the microphones and the headphones were re-positioned (I can provide the five individual traces for each headphones and the average, they basically overlap each others for the most part, with these specific headphones in that frequency range I get decent repeatability with these microphones even from day to day if you consider 0.5-1dB decent repeatability).

The results seem to be that this pair produces on my head a very sharp dip between 1-2kHz on both channels, with a sharper slope on the right channel in orange (and I can’t help but notice another interesting dip higher up, at around 2500Hz on the same channel, that seems to be a multiplier of the first, while the left channel remains better behaved - a coïncidence or something more interesting ?).
It doesn't look quite like the older revision that was depressed in the 1000-3000Hz range, the drop is a lot sharper and more similar to what the newer units seem to produce in some measurements, albeit with a larger magnitude.

As a side note you’ll also see that the bass response isn’t that much stronger in the sub-bass than with some other open over-ears - not necessarily a surprise, some (but not all) other websites measuring the more recent version also got similar results (Rtings, among others). Sean Olive’s copy which measurements were shown here showed something similar. The way the bass response is shaped between the left and right channels on the Sundara suggest to me that there is a slightly different seal quality between the channels.

Since this is in the range where in-concha microphones start to be increasingly less reliable, just to make sure I fired up my prototype probe / tube microphones (based on a David Griesinger idea). More details about it here : https://www.head-fi.org/threads/the...-at-a-breakthrough-value.943107/post-16339008

It’s a work in progress so read even less into it than with the in-concha mics (calibration is an issue, but the most egregious peaks should have been effectively neutered), and besides I didn’t shove it quite as far as I should for accurate measurements above a few kHz as it was a quick job and I didn’t want to fiddle with it too much. But at least up to 3-4kHz the values should be at least a decent representation (with this sort of microphone, the values change with insertion depth, but there is a point beyond which they’re stable and stop changing - the higher the frequency, the deeper the insertion needs to be to reach stability. With these measurements that’s the case at least up to 3kHz for sure, I’ve designed the probe to be slidable without moving the headphones and progressively insert the probe while making regular measurements to make sure). The probe wasn’t moved between the measurements of the three different headphones.

Here it is, for the right channel only (HD560S in green, HD650 in blue, Sundara in red) :

Screenshot 2021-05-30 at 17.48.01.png

So with a completely different microphone approach we can see the same dips at around 1250 and 2500Hz on the right channel.

I’ve tried to change position of the Sundara, apply a bit more pressure on the pads, etc. to not much avail in regards to the 1-2kHz problems even if it did change slightly the bass response (emphasis on slightly, I have a feeling that the air gap is happening somewhere else than between the pads and my skin anyway - perhaps the fact that only the inside edge of the pads seals against my head and air passes through the perforated platter on the inside and the vented fabric facing my head, the latter of which is not being pressed against my skin near the outside edge under normal use and even when pressing the pads a bit).

What I’m wondering now is :
  • Since both channels exhibit a fairly sharp and strong peak then drop, if it is a question of sample variation, at least the driver pairing process and the resulting manufacturing ensure decent channel balance. Does Hifiman practice driver pairing at the factory (for example the way Sennheiser seems to do, even at a fairly cheap price point, for their passive audiophile headphones) ? Or would it be a case of low variation within batches and higher variation inter batches ?
  • If it isn’t a question of sample variation, could it be the result of the interaction between the headphones and my own individual anatomy ? Any pointers as to what mechanism would be at play in that case in that 1-2kHz range ?

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Since both channels exhibit a fairly sharp and strong peak then drop, if it is a question of sample variation, at least the driver pairing process and the resulting manufacturing ensure decent channel balance. Does Hifiman practice driver pairing at the factory (for example the way Sennheiser seems to do, even at a fairly cheap price point, for their passive audiophile headphones) ? Or would it be a case of low variation within batches and higher variation inter batches ?

The Hifimans I measured mostly had excellent channel matching. I would even say better than other brands and almost exemplary.
As my measurement rig is more suited for detecting driver quality differences it would be fair to say hifiman usually has excellent driver matching.
Below as an example the cheap Drop Edition XX but all the different models (in a shop not cherry picked) ave similar matching.
fr-ed-xx.png

Even the very cheap dynamic HE350 had excellent matching per headphone (measured 2 of them)
fr-he3501.png

Oh.. below the Sundara ...
sundara-fr.png

Last edited:

MayaTlab

The Hifimans I measured mostly had excellent channel matching. I would even say better than other brands and almost exemplary.
As my measurement rig is more suited for detecting driver quality differences it would be fair to say hifiman usually has excellent driver matching.

Indeed I don’t have any dummy head / flat plate measurement rig.
Have you had the chance to measure several copies of a similar model ?
Right now I’m wondering if it’s worth it to have it exchanged for another copy or if it is something that I’m likely to see happening again.

Haze

So if I wanted to bass boost Oratory's newest Sundara 2020 EQ I would just increase 28hz gain to taste?

Carlo2AC

I made my own EQ which is a mix of Oratory and Amir's, Amir's in the upper mids and treble, Oratory in the lower mids and bass. I found Oratory's has too much energy in the treble and makes them sound harsh. It's very apparent in metal music with a lot of symbol and snare hits.
out of curiosity what is your personal EQ? new pads or old pads?

MayaTlab

So if I wanted to bass boost Oratory's newest Sundara 2020 EQ I would just increase 28hz gain to taste?

I you want more subbass yes. But don't hesitate to fiddle further with presets (Q factor, frequency, other bands)... I mean it isn't like you can't reverse it back :D.

Thomas_bati

I'm looking for a pair of open headphones. I have a pair of Akg k702s and have tried the hd650s. For those who are sensitive to highs, how do the Sundara stand? The Akg in some songs kill me, the Sennheisers are all to do but I find them too dark for my taste.

JohnYang1997

Master Contributor
Technical Expert
Audio Company
I'm looking for a pair of open headphones. I have a pair of Akg k702s and have tried the hd650s. For those who are sensitive to highs, how do the Sundara stand? The Akg in some songs kill me, the Sennheisers are all to do but I find them too dark for my taste.
Sundara would be pretty ideal for you. Pretty similar to me actually. I would describe it as a little bit of both + better bass.

Thomas_bati

Sundara would be pretty ideal for you. Pretty similar to me actually. I would describe it as a little bit of both + better bass.
Unfortunately I have the problem of harsh sounds. The HD650s are like chocolate to me, I could keep them all day without getting tired. But I feel something is missing.

Thomas_bati

Another solution would be just eqing k702.
I have tried the equalization of oratory1990, but I am not completely satisfied. The eq tames the highs and the harshness but I still didn't find them as smooth as the Sennheisers. I want to clarify that these are only my opinions resulting from my personal tastes. Also the -5.5db pre amp forces me to use high gain on some tracks.

Top Bottom