• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE6se Review (Headphone)

roskodan

Last edited:

edahl

aldarrin

Wish AutoEQ had an adaption to use fewer filters for RME

It does already. The first 5 parametric EQ (PEQ) filters are meant to be used on the ADI-2 (and other 5-band PEQ setups). It's pretty well thought out =).

1621629098319.png

In addition to the usual advice to fiddle with the base and treble boost amounts to taste, I'd test turning off the last PEQ band at ~10k. That seems to be an error in the target that AutoEq commonly tries to fix; many people say there should be a cut around there for some reason I don't remember off hand.

edahl

It does already. The first 5 parametric EQ (PEQ) filters are meant to be used on the ADI-2 (and other 5-band PEQ setups). It's pretty well thought out =).

View attachment 131168

In addition to the usual advice to fiddle with the base and treble boost amounts to taste, I'd test turning off the last PEQ band at ~10k. That seems to be an error in the target that AutoEq commonly tries to fix; many people say there should be a cut around there for some reason I don't remember off hand.
Oh my I didn't catch that at all, thanks for pointing that out!

Jimbob54

Grand Contributor
Forum Donor
I was seriously considering selling these (the pair measured) before Amir measured them since I just got the Empyrean and that would help my bank account hurt less, lol. But I'm a bit unsure now with these great results, I might keep them, I might sell. Depends on the offer and what my account looks like next time I check.

Well if you do consider selling, drop me a PM.

KeithPhantom

Addicted to Fun and Learning
Forum Donor
Wish AutoEQ had an adaption to use fewer filters for RME
Yes, you can limit the number of filters in the program by using a simple command.

faheem

Forum Donor
@amirm With you reviewing lower sensitivity headphones, and all the "talk" on forums of power amplifiers, an educational article/video on amplification myths and reality would be great.

JuliaCoder

I can't imagine what headphones this expensive have that those at half this price don't. Is there really more labor or better materials or patented technology? I haven't tried any above $1k so maybe I'm just not exposed to finer things in life but I don't get it.

Dana reed

I have both and hd800s beats he6se in soundstage without a doubt. With your eq hd800s sounds awesome. However he6se has this magical tonality, punch & bass response which makes pop, rock , jazz and hip hop just so enjoyable.
What are you driving the HE6SE with? I have this and the 800s as well as the fazor LCD2. With EQ, the LCD is still my favorite. But maybe my THX 789 or Jotunheim aren’t beefy enough for the HE6SE...

Anmol

Forum Donor
I can't imagine what headphones this expensive have that those at half this price don't. Is there really more labor or better materials or patented technology? I haven't tried any above $1k so maybe I'm just not exposed to finer things in life but I don't get it.
I would never pay full price for it. I got it from adorama as an open box(brand new with full warranty) for US$550.
Local specials for hd800s about US$1100 including local taxes.
That's hardly foolish on my part.
Just need to keep a sharp eye for specials and may be even second hand deals not just locally but other nations too. -:). Beauty of internet.

aldarrin

I've never heard the HE6 or HE6SE. But I can tell you that you can hear more detail in the Arya than the Sundara, HD800s than HD6XX, and L700 than 95X (best headphones I have compared to lower tier headphones that I also have). All of those headphones are more expensive than the cheaper options that offer similar sound. Similar, but the more expensive set offers something more. I can't tell you they are worth the money, but they do sound better (can't speak for every high priced headphone). But I can definitely tell you the bang for the buck (i.e. value) is best somewhere around $300 (I'm hoping to catch the HE6SE next time it goes on sale for $650, that might be a "good" value).

Anmol

Forum Donor
Hifiman recommends at least 2W / channel into 50 ohm for these cans. Don't think you are providing enough power to drive them properly (I'm sure they still get load, you can get them loud off of a phone or laptop).
I am aware. There are calculations elsewhere that suggest 2w is overkill. 1.6w per channel is adequate to drive it. Balanced input from sabaj d5 jacks up voltage dishing out adequate available grunt for these headphones for my ears.
Check out some calculations from solderdude.

OP
amirm

amirm

Founder/Admin
Staff Member
CFO (Chief Fun Officer)
@amirm With you reviewing lower sensitivity headphones, and all the "talk" on forums of power amplifiers, an educational article/video on amplification myths and reality would be great.
I will think about it. :) For now, I had no trouble driving the H6se with Topping A90 in medium gain.

roskodan

Btw, the complaints about lack of power are usually coming from folks not perceiving a pleasant tonality. A real lack of power would be evident by not getting loud enough, evident distortion, lack of headroom when EQ-ing.

Alas, in the audiophile, enthusiast, community, using EQ is still something that is taboo, or at best avoided in favor of amp "matching" only, so that often a non pleasing tonality will end up being interpreted as, you guessed it, a lack of power.

And of course there is always the question about how much one can trust amp specs papers.

I had the original HE-6, it was indeed lacking in tonality, regardless of power.

YSC

Major Contributor
it looks really nice and tempting to eventually get one... luckily genelecs have rescued me from ever wanting more from headphones

Top Bottom