• WANTED: Happy members who like to discuss audio and other topics related to our interest. Desire to learn and share knowledge of science required. There are many reviews of audio hardware and expert members to help answer your questions. Click here to have your audio equipment measured for free!

Hifiman HE400SE Review (Headphone)

Rate this headphone:

• 1. Poor (headless panther)

Votes: 4 1.1%
  • 2. Not terrible (postman panther)

Votes: 15 4.0%
  • 3. Fine (happy panther)

Votes: 121 32.0%
  • 4. Great (golfing panther)

Votes: 238 63.0%

• Total voters

Yaiba

In my country HE400SE V1(or Chinese version) price is around 99USD and V2 (or global version) is 149USD, so you may need to caution what version that you ordered.

V2 have stealth magnet sticker on the outer box.

I have HE400SE V1 and Sundara.I think V1 best perf/value in price range but sound stage narrower when compare with Sundara. And you need headphone amp for HE400SE (most headphone in this price range able to use with mobile phone).

D

Deleted member 27694

HE400SE V2 > Sundara > Ananda. Not only diminishing returns but a loss in SQ.

HE400SE V2: "Measurements 100% predict the performance this headphone: it sounds very good out of the box and is definitely usable as is"
Sundara: "Without EQ, I would not be a buyer as I love my deep bass response and highs that are a bit more sedated."
Ananda: Well you know...

abdo123

Master Contributor
Forum Donor
Is it me or it's very rare that we see a headphone that gets the treble right?

I feel like Amir's experience (with and without EQ) is heavily determined by the headphone having smooth treble response.

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
Where are those abyss owners ? :p
:D:D whoa whoa let's not stoke a fire, they've crawled back to their realm under the stone.

GaryH

Major Contributor
Incredible alignment with Oratory1990's measurements, the headphone exhbits little fixture variation. looks like a great all around headphone, just the sensitivity a bit on the low side.

View attachment 170599

Looks like the HE4XX is even better (just $10 more):

Harman 2018-Hifiman HE400se-Hifiman HE4XX.png

BostonJack

Editor
This is superb for the price... may grab a set of these, seems like a steal.

JSmith
I have a pair of Hifiman Drop 4xx headphones which are base-light and definitely have some nice qualities. does anyone have an idea if the EQ's are similar? or is that hoping for too much? I like them but they don't really standup up to the HD650 Drop clones ( a similar bargain).

_thelaughingman

Major Contributor
Forum Donor
I have a pair of Hifiman Drop 4xx headphones which are base-light and definitely have some nice qualities. does anyone have an idea if the EQ's are similar? or is that hoping for too much? I like them but they don't really standup up to the HD650 Drop clones ( a similar bargain).
I think the HE4xx have a different EQ than the 400se. Look up Oratory’s EQ for the He4xx, probably the best settings for that headphone.

Chyżwar

The HE400se are too bright for me, I have a problem with this peak above 10kHz. Using the EQ helps, but still doesn't sound smooth. The only advantage of planar magnetic driver I hear is more air in the sound, but that may be related to a peak above 10kHz rather than the driver type.
Besides, they are heavy and uncomfortable.
I don't think they are bad, but I prefer the K371.
For me: K701 < HD560s < HE400se < K371 < HD650

aj625

The HE400se are too bright for me, I have a problem with this peak above 10kHz. Using the EQ helps, but still doesn't sound smooth. The only advantage of planar magnetic driver I hear is more air in the sound, but that may be related to a peak above 10kHz rather than the driver type.
Besides, they are heavy and uncomfortable.
I don't think they are bad, but I prefer the K371.
For me: K701 < HD560s < HE400se < K371 < HD650
Did you try r70x ?

LoyK

HE400SE V2: "Measurements 100% predict the performance this headphone: it sounds very good out of the box and is definitely usable as is"
Sundara: "Without EQ, I would not be a buyer as I love my deep bass response and highs that are a bit more sedated."

Comparing Ananda and HE400se (V2 or Stealth) for several weeks I can only tell you that my ears decided to sell HE400se and keep Ananda ( knowing that I could sell Ananda for about 4 times the price AND that I am quite the objectivist as an electrical engineer in communications/high frequency having measured a thing or two. ).
I see a very big correlation of Amirs review of the HE400se with my findings when evaluating the headphone. Easy recommendation for its price! (If you have enough power to drive it and the comfort is okay on your head.)
On the other hand I see a totally different Ananda in his review than the one I am wearing/listening to right now. Don´t forget that those measurement rigs are not modelled after your specific head and ears and that the target is only a "good guess" what you could like ;-)

D

Deleted member 27694

Comparing Ananda and HE400se (V2 or Stealth) for several weeks I can only tell you that my ears decided to sell HE400se and keep Ananda ( knowing that I could sell Ananda for about 4 times the price AND that I am quite the objectivist as an electrical engineer in communications/high frequency having measured a thing or two. ).
I see a very big correlation of Amirs review of the HE400se with my findings when evaluating the headphone. Easy recommendation for its price! (If you have enough power to drive it and the comfort is okay on your head.)
On the other hand I see a totally different Ananda in his review than the one I am wearing/listening to right now. Don´t forget that those measurement rigs are not modelled after your specific head and ears and that the target is only a "good guess" what you could like ;-)
I just described Armirs findings, they are very clear. If they are correct or not (seal on Ananda eg). Or if one my have different preferences is a totally different issue.

RHO

Major Contributor

Comparing the 2 I would not conclude that the HD400se > Sundara.
index.php

index.php

While I'm not disputing the HD400se is absolutely great value and, concluding from this review, will likely sound great, there are reasons I would not conclude it is better than Sundara. (It could be better value)
While Amirs measurements show a steep drop-off below 50Hz, in reality the newest versions don't do that when worn (Resolve did some measurements and experiences from others and myself would also indicate that). It could be a fit/seal issue on the rig Amir uses and maybe also on his head (there's a lack of swivel on the cups). For me the fit is great, but I have a small had and don't need much cup swivel.
Also, I would rate the build on the Sundara higher than on the HE400se. Although before actually owning one I thought it looked like a DIY project, :facepalm: so I could be totally wrong about the real build on the HE400se too.

YSC

Major Contributor
funny that it's always the Hifiman HE-6 era based designs measures best, the HE6-SE and this HE-400SE did well, I bet in the original HE400, HE500 and HE6 have their popularity due to something! too bad it's not easy to ship to and from HK to USA to amirm to measure my set of HE-500 for any confirmation

solderdude

Grand Contributor
Can someone confirm the the V2.0 and V1.0 situation? I'm about to pull the plug but i'm afraid i will recieve V1.0

The only difference seems to be the magnets.
You can look at the rear.
Silver magnets is V1, black magnets is V2.

Top Bottom